“worth the trip”
Review of Hanging Gate Inn

Hanging Gate Inn
Ranked #37 of 206 Restaurants in Macclesfield
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are small country pub with outstanding views across the Cheshire Plain, we serve food of the highest standards under the guidance of acclaimed chef patron Ernst van Zyl who moved into the kitchen permanently at the end of October. We serve light bites 12/2:30 Wednesday - Saturday and a lazy lunch menu same days until 2pm. Friday and Saturday lunch and evenings we also offer a 5 course tasting menu with or without wine flight and Wednesday - Saturday evenings our a la carte menu. Sunday is traditional roasts day with a super choice of dishes cooked to order. Our wine list is wonderful with lots of fabulous wines and we always have our hydes original and a guest beer on draft. We close Monday and Tuesday. Look forward to seeing you soon. THG team.
Hertford, United Kingdom
“worth the trip”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Well we travelled up from Stevenage ,to a function in Manchester and stayed overnight near to the Gate, On walking in the landlady asked me if I still drank bitter and the odd Talisker chaser.A lovely meal was served to us,excellent Steak and as the final drop of the single malt inflamed my gills my Wife commented "200 miles each way and worth the trip" Cannot believe some of the negative reviews on this site

1 Thank Robert Z

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very average”
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I had a ride out to this place for Sunday lunch and was disappointed.

First impressions, nice country pub in Cheshire countryside with views over the plains. Fantastic.

Was seated for the meal in the downstairs conservatory area that over looks the countryside. The pub had not been open long and only had one other couple in.

The conservatory was freezing. If i didnt take my coat with me i couldnt have sat through the meal as it was that cold.

I noticed that the table cloths were dirty on our table and around where we sat with gravy stains etc.

I thought the service was very poor from the staff they had on. At times it seemed obvious that we had been forgotten about in an empty pub???

Food quality - fantastic. It saves the place. Nice quality and generous portions. Very over priced though. I thought £13 for a roast dinner was expensive personally.

Won't be returning again sadly and wouldnt recommend.

1 Thank bluemancunian1894
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Bad roast potato's”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Four of us went for lunch on Sunday. Meat was very good but roast potato's like bullets. Good mix of veg. My husband ordered the smoke salmon with brown bread, came with thick chunk of bread
Instead of thinly slices of salmon they came cut in strips not the best looking plate I have every seen but tasted better than it looked. Service we on slow side hade to ask for plates to be moved 20 mins after we had finished. So did not stay for pudding. Not to sure if I would return. May leave for a while .

1 Thank Carol120
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Hanging gate Macclesfield Sunday Luch”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The weather was good so we headed for the hills above Macclesfield and had Sunday lunch at the Hanging Gate. I had the leg of Lamb which was beautiful and my Wife had the Beef which was excellent. Lovely staff and the Landlady is great. The views from here a something to see to!!!!!

1 Thank daveos1
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Quirky!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We visited the Hanging Gate for lunch & sat in the tiny snug bar, we amused ourselves with dominoes until our meal was served.
Service is somewhat chaotic with the landlady overseeing just about everything! She is really keen to make sure all her customers are happy......
The standard of the food was excellent, we chose beer battered fish & chips followed by home made rhubarb crumble, the best crumble we've had for a long time, very short crumble topping & home made creme anglaise ( a rarity ), the fruit was not too sweet which worked well with with the sweet custard.
The pub also serves sandwiches on home made bread, they go for quality ingredients.
The views over the Cheshire Plain are absolutely stunning from outside & the restaurant which has large panoramic windows.

• Visited August 2013