“Horrible experience - stay away!”
Review of Hanging Gate Inn

Hanging Gate Inn
Ranked #34 of 205 Restaurants in Macclesfield
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are small country pub with outstanding views across the Cheshire Plain, we serve food of the highest standards under the guidance of acclaimed chef patron Ernst van Zyl who moved into the kitchen permanently at the end of October. We serve light bites 12/2:30 Wednesday - Saturday and a lazy lunch menu same days until 2pm. Friday and Saturday lunch and evenings we also offer a 5 course tasting menu with or without wine flight and Wednesday - Saturday evenings our a la carte menu. Sunday is traditional roasts day with a super choice of dishes cooked to order. Our wine list is wonderful with lots of fabulous wines and we always have our hydes original and a guest beer on draft. We close Monday and Tuesday. Look forward to seeing you soon. THG team.
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible experience - stay away!”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We made a specific trip to the Hanging Gate as we had been there many years ago & we we were looking forward to a return visit. We live in Boston & were visiting the UK for Christmas holidays. Before we drove from London to Macclesfield I emailed the Hanging Gate to check on the opening hours for food service on Boxing Day. I received a response from I Rottenbury, the owner. He told me that food would be available from 12 - 4 pm & they would be closing at 6 pm. We made the difficult drive in rain & fog to this extremely remote location only to be treated very rudely by the owners wife. We arrived before 4 pm but she was belligerent & would not serve us - saying the kitchen closed at 2:30 pm. I read her the email I received from her husband & she essentially said " tough luck". So I would strongly advise travelers to avoid The Hanging Gate. It is not worth the effort and the aggravation. STAY AWAY !!!!
Linda B

1 Thank Linda B

Macclesfield, England, United Kingdom
“Great birthday treat - FANTASTIC!”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We were up at 'The Gate' last Friday (07/12/2012) for what is becoming my traditional birthday treat and it was even better than usual. I had the always amusing well hung Jack Woods rib-eye steak which was unbelievably brilliant. I'm not really a huge fan of steak (I often find them disappointing) but 'The Gates' ribeye is out of this world. My better half had the Lamb Henry which was just as good as the ribeye. They use top quality locally produced meats which are well cooked - simply awesome. For pud we had Bakewell & custard and Sticky Toffee Pud with ice cream - fantastic. It's got to be said that it's not the cheapest place to eat but it is sooooo good it is good value for money. Oh and the landlady is always great fun too. I would definately recommend that you give 'The Gate' a go.

• Visited December 2012
Cheshire
“Too expensive”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This place seems just as it was 25 years ago. Except the food is now too expensive. Trading on position on the edge of the peak and olde worlde charm. We had table near the fire - and were almost smoked out - chimney can't work unless there is a side door open and the people by that door had to endure freezing cold so we didn't suffer smoke inhalation. And '9 chips' as mentioned by another writer is correct. Chicken and chips grossly overpriced. And proprietor seems to have no affinity with her clients.

Visited November 2011
2 Thank RoyDD
Southport
“Refreshing mid walk”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stopped here for coffee and tea (although one of our group tried the fine ale) whilst on a 12 mile walk. Very good service and the meals looked and smelt very very tempting ... if only we had had the time!

• Visited October 2012
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
“What a Spot!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have visited the Hanging Gate many times (including yesterday!). It seems to get better and better. My favourite thing ... no, that is impossible ... my favourite things are the view, the excellent real ale, the mouth-watering steak ciabatta and the great and welcoming service. I have tried several dishes from the menu and never been disappointed. At first I thought it a little pricey, but came to realise that the quality is so worth every penny. I sat outside last evening and watched the sun set over the Cheshire Plain and Joderell Bank; it was spectacular.

• Visited September 2012