“Oh Dear”

Ranked #5 of 18 Bangor B&B and Inns
kent, England
“Oh Dear”
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights. First impressions were good with a friendly welcome and clean room on the top floor overlooking the harbour. Bedroom was furnished with a tiny double bed which was comfortable enough as long as you slept in each others arms or risked falling out the side. First morning we were welcomed to a flood in the dining room at breakfast and a variety of buckets to catch the water from a leaking shower in a room above. Breakfast was ok but nothing to write home about and included stale cornflakes, any flavour you wanted for yogurt as long as you liked strawberry and a fried egg that was so over cooked the yoke was as hard as a golf ball. Second morning the lift broke down on the way to breakfast. Not good. Phoned the owner who said she had phoned the lift guys. Only problem was one of the party is claustrophobic. We couldnt wait indefinatly so I forced the door and we got out. Well you would have thought I had committed a crime greater than murder. I am sure the owner thought we were going to sue and gave each one of a lecture about ourfoolhardy actions, including the claustrophobe who was obviously distressed. I cant say we will be back. Watch out for the drips and the dragon owner.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MrFFF

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Lurgan, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived we got a nice welcome and were introduced to Darcy the dog (Yorkshire terrier) We were brought to our rooms and shown around. Decor is modern and the whole place was spotless. The breakfast was first class cearel,toast tea&coffee orange juice - prunes - grapefruit - and a fry up!! I had the lot! We just stayed the 1 night but got a great deal from bookings.com and felt that we had robbed them.Would recommend and will b back asap! Thank you Astala.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank johnny w
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I have stayed here twice as I was working in the area. I was given a warm and friendly greeting and met the adorable Darcy (Yorkshire terrier). I stayed in room 4 and room 5, both are large, spacious and very clean. The view s are beautiful looking over the marina. This is excellent value and for such quality rooms and fantastic service they could charge a lot more! I look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had a 4 night stay here. It is on a quieter bit of Bangor and overlooks the marina. There is off road parking and we never had a problem finding a space. The rooms are well decorated and clean. Towels changed every day all thought we found the beverage tray to be replenished a bit hit and miss. Having said that there we very more than enough tea and coffee to last. Breakfast was well cooked and a good helping but no choice. Not a problem for us as I had variations on the full Irish during our stay. There is a lift for those who can not manage stairs and a bar/lounge room that looks over the marina. Really great value and we will use them again, Great place to stay

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Spendee
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

I got a great deal on late rooms for a Friday night here. We spent the evening in Bangor for my birthday and this turned out to be the perfect place to stay. We had a homely and warm welcome, the girl who runs the place gave us a tour and was there on hand when you needed her. The decor and style of this building is beautiful and it has its own bar which is a complete bonus. Not to mention a lift! Rooms are extremely clean, well furnished, great bathroom and very comfortable bed. Breakfast was very tasty and the staff very friendly. Location is fantastic, gorgeous views of the marina and walking distance to local bars and restaurants. It also has parking right outside. We are already planning a return. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this b and b

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank JayBeck
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My son and his partner, who are both registered blind people, stayed for three nights at the Astala from 27/09/13 to 29/09/13. I checked the accommodation and had no hesitation in booking them in to this excellent Guest House. The charming proprietress, Rochelle, welcomed them warmly on arrival and with great sensitivity, conducted them around the premises. She patiently explained all the facilities of the house and ensured that they both were able to manipulate the entry keys without difficulty.

My son and his partner were delighted with their short stay in Astala. They described the beds as comfortable and were most impressed with the en suite bathroom with its large shower.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tedr237
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I had been a bit concerned when I booked this because it was so much cheaper than everything nearby. But I looked at the pictures and read the reviews and there seemed no cause for concern, so went ahead and booked. A good decision.

The guesthouse must have been seriously renovated fairly recently as everything is thoroughly up to date and in top-notch condition. The bed was comfortable. The staff were fantastic and friendly, being particularly helpful with the identification of local eating options (ended up in The Rabbit Rooms, which I would highly recommend).

So, are there any downsides? My partner wasn't mad about the sausages served at breakfast, although I thought they were perfectly acceptable. That's about it. And at the price they were charging for a night, if that's the only thing you find wrong, you're doing well.

Room Tip: This isn't so much a tip about a good room, but a tip about elevator usage. The numbering on the...