“Cheerful and tasty”
Review of Gringos - CLOSED

Gringos
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Gringos is a fantastic new Bring Your Own (BYO) mexican restaurant experience offering all the delights of Mexico and more! We aren't going to give you the normal sales patter, we simply say "pruébelo usted mismo" or try it for yourself.At Gringos have taken traditional mexican cuisine to the next level by refining the flavours and textures to create something very special indeed. Every dish we create is made with the freshest of ingredients and the majority of goods would be sourced locally by our chefs to ensure you the quality.All Gringos restaurants offer coffees and snacks throughout the day with takeaway options available from our lunch menu including an array of packaged torta sandwiches and wraps made fresh in house everyday.
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had a voucher for this restaurant and thought we might have been given a 'smaller'menu but no,our portions were more than generous.The food was hot and spicy as expected and we enjoyed the evening. A casual ,relaxed atmosphere with helpful cheery staff.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

took my son there because mum was away and I couldn't be bothered cooking. Gave this place a try and was pleasantly surprised. Good food at a reasonable price and a varied menu, service was exceptional.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Myself and my partner returned on Saturday night for our second visit. We had previously been to the restaurant about 6 months ago and had a nice meal back then and kept saying we would go back. We finally got around to it this weekend. I forgot how tiny the restaurant is so I was glad we booked as the restaurant seemed to be full. We had a very nice meal, the portions were generous and everything was fresh and tasty. The service was fine, no complaints.

The only negative point that I would make is that the last time we had been there we had complained that the corkage fees were a bit steep and were told that they were going to be reviewed. They currently charge £1 per bottle of beer which is too much. I agree that they are entitled to a corkage fee but £1 per four or six bottles seems a bit more reasonable, even £2 for 4 or 6 bottles but £1 per bottle is too much and as a result we left less of a tip than we would have done otherwise. Apart from that, a great little mexican restaurant, I hope it continues to do well.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I decided to try Gringos last night for the first time and were really shocked and disappointed how poor the whole experience was. We turned up without booking and were lucky enough to be given
a table. The inside is quite small with maybe around 10 tables so we thought at least there wouldnt be much waiting time. How wrong were we? We were offered drinks and told there were no menus available at present because other customers were using them (at 2 tables!) apparently they were in the process of reprinting more! We waited almost 15 mins on a menu! At this stage we had almost finished our drinks and considered leaving. Once we were served it took nearly 40 mins for the food to arrive! The restaurant wasn't even completely full, other tables were getting food at different times and everyone was generally getting really fed up.Our food then arrived and my husband and I had both ordered the same dish which was chicken with a pepperjack cheese and a spicy sauce. Out came a tiny chicken fillet on a tiny bed of green beans smothered in some sort of sauce (that wasn't spicy) totally no flavour, the chicken was overcooked to the point of being really dry, but we ate it all as we were really starving! It was ok. The young waiter who had been very apologetic throughout offered us free refills and told us our drinks would be free for having to wait so long. He then proceeded to tell us that the delay was due to a new chef starting and the 'trainee chef' was training him up!! He then asked us if we wanted to look at a dessert menu and we had yet to finish our meal! Very inexperienced. The waitress however was walking about, no personality, no professionalism, not one apology. We paid for our food, which as a bonus its buy one get one free on a sunday so wasnt that expensive. I definitely wouldnt have liked to have been paying full price for the quality and quantity of the food. I have had authentic mexican food before plus I have ordered from mexican sections of menus in general restaurants and I have never had food as dull and tasteless as what I had in Gringos. Wont be back or recommending it.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I went here with my girlfriend , both 23. We went with group on voucher. I had never tried Mexican and reading some of the reviews below I was worried about going to gringos. The restruant is small, only about 10 tables but is busy so you would need to book.

The food was lovely and big helpings left you feeling stuffed at the end. Having used groupon voucher we didn't have to pay for anything but drinks. I think if you were getting off the main menu and also drinks it would be maybe just a bit to expensive? Prob around £40+ for 2 people.

I enjoyed gringos and will most likely return.