“Has potential!”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Bangor
“Has potential!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Hubby and I went for dinner last night - Sat @ 8pm - a little dubious as the previous restaurant (52) had disappointed us on several occasions with undercooked food!
Arrived to just one other couple in the corner (on a Saturday night!!) which only reached 4 couples when we were finishing, very little atmosphere as such a big room, no people (only 2 staff members) and a bit of background music. We were handed menus that were clipboards decorated with a collage of magazine cuttings (not inspiring really) and a menu list that didn't immediately grab our attention. However we kept an open mind. Hubby ordered scotch egg starter, I had gnocchi - both tasty enough but temp could have been warmer. Main course for hubby, rib eye steak with red wine and bernaise sauces and chips and for me pork with a red wine sauce (I think) Coucous and potato cake - could have done with a side of the sauce as the couscous was very dry. Again both surprisingly tasty despite the initial doubts when choosing.
We shared a dessert of panna cotta which was VERY tasty however the stewed rhubarb it came with was served straight from the fridge and wasn't that pleasant a texture - heated it would have been delicious!
One criticism of the food would be portion size - quite small for the prices - £18 & £15 respectively, £67 total bill.
There were a few other bug bears namely tea lights on the table but none lit. The wine list had no descriptions of the actual wines being served just simply stated Shiraz, merlot, Pinot etc. however the wine we chose was FAB! They need to advertise their collection!! Waitress was very pleasant and helpful but didn't know what the catch of the day was.
All in all a not unpleasant experience and with a little tweak here and there could be a fab restaurant back in the heart of Bangor! I hope it does well!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank GillMcl

Bangor, United Kingdom
“Not impressed”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We went for dinner to this restaurant over a weekend and my overall impression was not a good one. We choose to order off the 3 course menu (£50 for 3 courses and a bottle of wine). About ten minutes after we placed our order we were advised there was no steak left. So my husband ordered something else. The starters we ordered both had toast included and when it came out it was rock hard, like it had been microwaved...... Not good. My main meal (seafood linguine) was totally tasteless. No seasoning and no flavour. And there was no salt or pepper on the table. When my husband's replacement main came out it had no side and it was minuscule! So he asked for chips. A few minutes later he was told there were no chips available ..... When we got to the dessert menu I ordered sticky toffee pudding. A few minutes after ordering and guess what - we were told there was no sticky toffee pudding available. The final bill came to £62.50. Shocking considering portion size, lack of food available and the fact we were still hungry when we left the restaurant :-( Overall, I did not leave with a good impression of the food. Service was good and the decor and ambience was ok. But let's face it - the food is THE most important aspect of any dining out experience and it just did not cut it for the amount of money involved.

• Visited May 2013
4 Thank squeezy42
Bangor Northern Ireland
“Good Food”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Over all experience was very good, food was first class staff very friendly, price wish no complaints had some good deals

Visited April 2013
North Down, Northern Ireland
“A new restaurant trading on here on the previous owners scores!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

First of all, i dont know why this place has been allowed to simply do a name change on tripadvisor, and keep its previous incarnations (Fifty Two) scores. Its a completely new owner, menu and chef so im at a loss as to why this usually reliable website has allowed this to happen. Unfortunately this distorted the overall score of the place massively.... from what i can see the reviews since the change are more negative than positive, and that was pretty much my experience in a nutshell

I went not long after the changeover, and was very disappointed. The menu was a little dull, riddled with spelling mistakes, and the food was pretty much as it read.... a little safe, a little bland... its all a little 'mutton dressed as lamb' to be honest....

Such a shame, as Bangor has lost some excellent restaurants in the last twelve months, so the chance was there to capitalise in this, but i feel that Art have failed to do that... i wouldnt rush back

• Visited December 2012
8 Thank SubCultureUK
Bangor
“Lovely welcome - lovely meal.”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I can't believe some of the negative reviews Art has had recently. My wife and I went using a Belfast Telegraph offer and our meal was excellent - beautifully cooked and presented. The staff were friendly and informative and helped to make the experience even more enjoyable.
Don't go if you are expecting a plate piled high with steak and chips - try somewhere else. There are plenty of establishments in and around Bangor that cater perfectly for that sort of food.

• Visited March 2013