“Just OK”

The Ava Winebar
Ranked #9 of 161 Restaurants in Bangor
Cuisines: Cafe, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Ava Winebar has undergone a complete refurbishment and has been transformed into a classy, elegant and on trend wine bar. We are ideally situated on the corner of Main Street opposite Bangor bus station and the post office. We are open seven days a week for lunch, tapas, dinner and drinks. The future of The Ava is an exciting one, especially with a complete reboot of the drinks menu, now knows as 'The Drink Bible' with its quirky illustrations and finishing touches. The food menu has also been revamped and expanded upon, proving that even the pickiest of eaters can find something they will enjoy. For those who are looking something a little lighter a new bar menu has been introduced which features tapas and selected wines by the glass. The newly renovated spot is also expecting a new beer garden and a re-branding of the cellar bar.
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Just OK”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Had table booked for evening meal as there was five of us, staff very pleasant and welcoming, restaurant fairly empty but we were shown to a table near the toilets (pet hate of mine!) Restaurant itself very tastfully decorated and as I said staff brilliant, pity same can't be said for the food. I ordered Ceaser Salad as starter - the chicken in it was 'processed stuff' that looked like it had come from the bargain aisle of a supermarket. Cannot fault portion size for main meal though and again it was just OK. Will not be rushing back.

Visited May 2013
Paul H, General Manager at The Ava Winebar, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable meal and we welcome the feedback on your dish,
I can assure you all of our meals are cooked from fresh, using only fresh ingredients. The chicken
required for dishes like the Caesar salad are cooked from fresh in the morning, blast chilled and refrigerated. The chefs though shall certainly look at how the dish is presented and make any amendments as required. The menu is due to change very shortly & we hope you will consider dining with us again to try lots of tempting new dishes. Please let us know as well any time you
book if there is a table in an area you prefer and will shall do our up-most to accommodate.
Regards The Ava

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly recommended!”
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I love the Ava my partner and I go here on occasions our favourite is the Caesar Salad :-) good value for money,good sized portions,friendly staff and you don't have long to wait on your food being served,my only fault would be is that its a bit "same old" it's always the same food on the lunchtime menu I think it should be changed from time to time give customers more variety but overall I highly recommend this place for that special occasion :-)

belfast
“Consistently good”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Dine here a lot, never fails to impress. Great menu, something on it for everyone. Booking is essential as we have called in a few times on passing only to find it was to busy to accomodate.

2 Thank pauldkirk
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Outstanding Meal at The Ava Restaurant!”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Just visited the Ava Restaurant 2 days ago with my family and what an incredible meal we had. I can certainly recommend the Ceasar starter and the Fish Pie...........it was just to die for! The service was also magnificent and the waitress was extremely helpful in explaining all the various dishes and at £9.25 for two courses it was amazing value. The decor of the restaurant is also absolutely beautiful and it radiated a lovely ambience. All the family really loved the Ava and we can't wait to return. I cannot recommend this restaurant enough!!

1 Thank MERVYNMCC
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Good Food, let down on the little things.”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Just visited for the 2 course lunch on Saturday. I have been for the tapas before and enjoyed so though we would try the lunch . It was busy when we arrived and although we had booked a table the hassled older waitress just greeted us with a ' we are very busy, we might not have room ' before even asking us if we'd booked! I group of 6 behind us got the same treatment, definitely felt like we were causing her stress just by being there. Although this markets itself as a wine bar they apparently do not keep wine lists so we had to guess on a bottle and hope they stocked it ( struck lucky on no. 3). My husband ordered the prawns and was happy to pay the surcharge but what arrived was a total of 5 battered prawns arranged around the plate with a small pot of sauce in the middle. No salad, no garnish, nothing. My Caesar salad would have been lovely if not for being smothered in the sauce so you could hardly taste anything else on the plate, I had to resort to scraping it off my lettuce. I had fish and chips and again that was all I got, no peas, garnish, salad, etc it just looked bland on the plate. I must say it was delicious and extremely well cooked but could have done with a little extra. My husband had the chicken goujons and his came with salad and coleslaw as well as chips! Although the food we got was lovely, we felt it could have been a little better. We normally go elsewhere and decided to try here for a change but we will not be desperate to return as we left a little disappointed .

• Visited May 2013
Hi, thank you for the review, improving on the little things can make all the difference and if we are not made aware of these we will not know how to make everyone's visit to the Ava better.
Some days when lots of customers come in at the same time, it can get a little over whelming,
but we shall certainly look into providing another member of staff on the floor for such busy days and as you can see, booking a table, especially for a Saturday is definitely recommended.
Our wine list is a visual concept where we encourage our guests to view the wines in order to make a personal choice, a member of staff is always on hand to give advice & guidance, alternatively we can recommend a bottle of very nice house wine as well or advise at your table as to which wine you would prefer.
The menu will be changing within the next couple of weeks, the chefs have taken on board your comments and I shall ensure that better descriptions of the dishes are provided, if though at any time there is something you would like to have with you meal, please do not hesitate to ask the waiting staff and they will endeavor to meet your request.