“Should havebeen excellent, but steaks were all wrong!”
Review of Cafe Essence

Cafe Essence
Ranked #22 of 164 Restaurants in Bangor
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Cafe Essence is a Chef Owned local seafood restaurant. This means our focus is on food. We are committed to preparing only the finest dishes and serving you only the highest quality food to capture the essence of fine dining.
Reviewed October 7, 2012

1st experience in this restaurant. The owner was very attentive and the menu was excellent. Set price starters, mains, etc. with supplements for 'special' dishes.
I ordered duck for starter, which was VERY rare. It was tasty but I wasn't asked how I would like it. Unfortunately my steak then arrived medium to well done, after I ordered rare! Just couldn't eat it! :o( All our parties steaks were well overcooked compared to their requests.
Overall it was a nice experience and I was offered a replacement steak (after everyone else in my party had finished their meals, I declined) I was not charged for my steak - but I did leave hungry! :o(

There are newer reviews for Cafe Essence

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We went here on a Thursday night and every other table was full which we thought was a positive sign. The owner Liz made us feel very welcome and the menu was varied enough to suit all tastes, particularly seafoodies.
Our dishes were flavoursome, well presented and substantial in portion size. The service we received was very good and all in all we had a pleasant dining experience.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife and I arrived and , were then seated , brought our wine, but I waited 15 mins for a drink and i only got that after asking for it , received starters which were really nice , we waited for a wee while for the main course, i saw the same order we ordered served to the table next to us nothing in that people pick the same thing .
But they had just started to put lemon juice on the monkfish and salt on the steak, the waitress goes over to them realising she had gave the wrong steak to the other table ! then proceeded to take the food from infront of them and bring it over to us asking did we want it as they had not touched it !!! that it was our order as the steak had been cooked differently (med rare) for me , i was not that bothered tbh as i had seen he had not touched it, the monkfish was taken away and 10 seconds later rerturned with a new wedge of lemon !!!! and an apology
anyway food sorted , my wife said to the said waitress at the end after her an irish coffee as an apology ? i declined as i was driving the good lady said yes, 10 or minutes later no coffee i asked the other waitress she obviously spoke to the first one , i had arrived to pay the bill she said thought you did not want one ? i said my wife said yes just not me i just gave up, asked to pay the bill to which she took it handed to the younger one and was asked do you want to pay this ? the former stomped off without even looking at us !

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Took my fiancé here for his birthday on a sat night. There are very few good restaurants left in Bangor but this is the best one at the moment in my opinion There was a set menu with lots of seafood choices and some meat options. We both ordered off the extras menu so cost more but it was well worth it. We both had lovely piri piri prawns to start with. For mains I had the salmon which was melt in your mouth. Fiancé had the sirloin steak which was massive. He couldn't finish it! He had ordered his usual chips but the side portions of baby potatoes and veg selection was more than enough. We were so stuffed we couldn't face dessert. Staff were really lovely friendly and genuine.The BYO is good for keeping price down. Will def be back soon. Thank you for a lovely experience.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We went here for late night coffee and desert. So much on offer really fantastic drinks and sweets. The tables were a little dirty but very unique products and massive servings of ice cream!