Table was booked for 8.30pm. Arrived a little early to have a drink in the bar, which was fine. Probably sat down at the table at apx. 8.40pm.
Service was so slow that Starter arrived at 9.30pm and it seemed like an age in between courses. After having starter, main course, dessert and coffee, it was after midnight. I like a little time between courses to enjoy the wine and chat at the table, but this was ridiculous.
As for the food, my wife and I both had Goats cheese tart for starter - toppings were tasty enough, but the tart itself (base) was burnt and spoiled the whole course.
For main course I had the Lamb Rump, which was just warm enough (on the verge of sending back). My wife had the fish and chips which was served in a wire basket set on a wooden platter. Sounds great, but when the basket slides off the platter almost onto your lap when the waiter tries to set it down, it comes as a bit of a nasty surprise - Fish was also overcooked.
For dessert it was Sticky Toffee Pudding and Chocolate Pot. My wife's chocolate pot was nice, but my pudding was far from sticky, quite bland and I had not expected it to be served cold!
Overall a very disappointing experience from a restaurant which looked and seemed so promising. The dishes sounded fantastic, but I get the feeling that this place is just "batting above its average"
Toilets were not clean and ran out of drying paper half way through the evening, never to be replaced.
We will certainly not be back
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An old Victorian townhouse that’s been beautifully transformed into a stunning boutique hotel overlooking Bangor’s Marina and the Irish Sea. A perfect retreat from everyday hustle and bustle. Friendly staff, gorgeous rooms and great food will make your stay a memorable one. Committed to fine local produce, our highly skilled, award winning chefs, offer a real alternative to Belfast’s restaurants. Whether you’re visiting North Down’s attractions or want a memorable Bangor night out – The Salty Dog offers accessible, nostalgic food in a relaxed setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Salty Dog Hotel And Bistro
- The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro Bangor, Northern Ireland