“Not what it used to be”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bangor
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited on Sunday evening for dinner, poor selection on the menu. The starters arrived half an hour after we placed our orders (tomato soup and cod fish cake), the main courses again took a long time (30-40 mins) to arrive. I ordered the cod with haddock and my boyfriend ordered the beef, on ordering the waitress indicated there may be no fish left and I said I would have the beef if there was no fish when she checked. The waitress never came back to tell me if i would be having the fish, when it arrived it was the fish with only half a fillet of cod and no smoked haddock, my boyfriends meal was average. Unfortunately the service was poor we ordered a coke when the starter plates were being cleared and it did not arrive until we had finished our main courses and no water was offered to us during our meal - disappointing service and poor food, this restaurant used to be fab fingers crossed it will bounce back !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My fiancée and I stayed in Room 1 on Friday 10th August. The location was great, very convenient with a car park directly opposite and right on the harbour front. We spent the evening out in Bangor, came back very late to very friendly staff who made us some fabulous cocktails with a cheery smile even though it was well into the wee small hours.
Friends joined us for breakfast, which was lovely. My fiancée had the fry up, but 2 of us had the eggs Benedict which was spot on!!
The room was very spacious, if a little noisy (especially with a hangover) but what do you expect when you are right on the harbour front!
We returned for supper a few days later, had the mussels and the fish pie which were just right, (exactly what it said on the tin!). we sat in the apparently very popular window seat and all the staff were great!
Having read the other two reviews from last weekend, I am a little surprised. I found all the staff extremely helpful and friendly (I know I do always engage them in conversation, but, they were all lovely!!)
Well worth a try....we are fairly well travelled and I used to own a restaurant....I have seen many a lot worse!!!!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet night, or early morning, do not sleep in a room at the front, But the view is lo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Visited friday evening, waited over 45 minutes for main course, shoulder of lamb, is just a slither of fat, minced up breast and one very small leek, thank god for good old spuds that filled the plate, £16-00 not worth £5.00, chicken pie far to salty, too many onions and very small portion of oil swamped cold veg. service terrible no salt or pepper, my partner had to order our drinks from the bar himself, no water brought to the table, overall very poor overpriced, small portions, will not be back

2 Thank tj1311
Belfast
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We had been here before with bad expererience ,but with recent reviews decided to try again,standing inside brought it all back, there still is a smell of urinals at front door, we're shown to
table ordered cod with risotto and pork belly, fondant potato,toffee apple purée , well start with cod,risotto came as croquettes (in which the rice was over cooked), and didn't match description on menu , pork belly was well cooked but had 2pieces of cartilage in it? ,and also seemed just like
Apple purée no sign of toffee? , pork belly was removed from bill that was not we wanted, waitress
was very pleasant but to finish off went to washrooms where there is a problem with odour
and also no hand drying towels it was empty! , meal average, overall poor evening.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Me and my partner stayed here last night we booked a double room with breakfast the next morning. It was £70 for the night which i thought was good enough, i had been on the website and looked at the photo gallery and it looked nice. So we landed up late evening and walked into the hotel. The bar, restaurant and lounge was very modern, after we checked in we went to our room which just happened to be the fire exit for the hotel. Our room was awful it had really old grubby furniture, a bed that was really low to the floor, the room was very small, small bathroom which had cracked and loose tiles. our view was of another roof and as our room was the hotel's fire exit we had the fire exit door in our room which wasn't really nice! I had said to myself if the breakfast is good i should be able to forget about our awful room. So we ordered breakfast, while we waited for our cooked breakfast we had cereal, toast etc. I could see another man and woman getting impatient while waiting for their breakfast for over 45minutes! Eventually our breakfast came 1 hour later after ordering it and it was really nice but the wait was ridiculous! defiantly won't be staying here again!

2 Thank kerry p
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

I had lunch on Monday for 3 . We all had burgers which were all delicious , service friendly and efficient. Would definately recommend for a nice wee lunch by the sea. My nephew had sausage and chips with seperate veg which was a great idea.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Tugboat_11
Northern Ireland
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Great food.
Scatty service.
Long delays.

Took over an hour for my main course to arrive. Not checked on, or offered more drinks when our glasses were empty. Turned to ask our server and she had shot off!
Couldnt find see any staff half the time we were there. I actually had to get out of my seat to try order drinks, salt & pepper.

Service, and speed could be a lot slicker- was so disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Clandeboye Lodge Hotel
La Mon Hotel & Country Club
Stormont Hotel
Stormont Hotel
#11 of 44 in Belfast

Been to The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro? Share your experiences!