“A Wonderful Lunch”

The Boat House Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 160 Restaurants in Bangor
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Description: The best of international cooking using great local produce served with flair.
Belfast, United Kingdom
“A Wonderful Lunch”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

After my incredibly disappointing dinner the previous night, I had to have my faith restored in fine dining, and what better and inexpensive place to do it than the Boathouse in Bangor.

I arrived at 12-30pm and just asked the chef to give me three courses and the Sommelier to pair the starter and main course with two glasses of wine.

My starter was Smoked Thornhill duck breast, pistachio crème, red onion, pickled kohlrabi, lemon dressed broad beans, girolles, turnip greens,pistachios, baby turnip. This was a wonderfully delicate dish and each flavour had a reason for being there, girolles pistachio cream and broad beans with the duck wonderful, the kohlrabi adding flavour and cleansing the palate for the next mouthful. The Sommelier paired this perfectly with a Pinot Noir from Burgundy. It was such a wonderful wine I searched for it and got myself a 6 pack of it.

Next up was a Cannon of Mourne lamb, trompette mushroom & mustard crust, polenta & goats' cheese cake, ratatouille, black olive, aubergine emulsion, tomato jus marjoram. The messiest plate of food I have ever had at this restaurant, but boy one of the tastiest. Paired with a Chianti Reserva, which was again on the money in terms of matching the course. Lovely bitter cherry fruit and vanilla oak with a fine tannic grip which was taken away by the ratatouille. Tomato is such a difficult taste to match up to wines, making them taste metallic, so I feel the Sommelier had put thought into his choice of wine here.

Dessert was Banana bread, Nutella mousse, crème de banana liqueur, peanut butter powder, lime & chilli infused banana, toasted peanuts, Glastry Farm coconut ice cream. This could possibly been a total overload of gluttony with rich flavours. But there was a light touch to this dessert. The chilli and lime was a wee bit lost, but the coriander leaves decorating the dish gave it an extra twist that brought a smile to the face.

There is alot of thought and planning gone into achieving dishes like this, that fill the soul as well as the tummy. If you go to this restaurant please bear that in mind. The two brothers who run this restaurant are giving you much more than just a meal to have out with friends. They are giving you an experience, that you will talk about for days and weeks afterwards.

Being a wine geek and knowing what the mark up is on the wines in this restaurant, I think that the represent excellent value for money. What is more, is there is as much thought put into the making up of this wine list as the food that goes onto your plate. Wines that are not expensively priced for what they are and wines that you may never have the opportunity to drink again, because they source wines from suppliers on the main land as well as from here.

Kudos Joery and Jasper and many thanks for the pleasure of eating in your restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Sean H

Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent”
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We had an excellent meal here recently. The presentation of all the dishes was wonderful second only to the quality and flavour of the food. The smoked eel starter was particularly good as was the halibut. For mains we went for lamb , sea trout and brill they were all near to perfect, portions are good but I would advise to order a couple of sides we were three people and we had two sides which was more than adequate to complete this fabulous feast. I would recommend the cheese board also I would be surprised if anything on the menu would disappoint. The chef came around and spoke to all the diners which was a nice touch. It is a small restaurant seats about 35 they could probably fit in a few more tables but they don't so no one is sitting on top of each other. Finally we chose the reserve Malbec it was so good we had a second bottle. Prices are very good for the standard of food. A great night had by all we will be back.

1 Thank Jimmy D
Belfast, United Kingdom
“When in a strange town.....watch out for the strange restaurants”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I read previous reviews of how good this establishment was; therefore I booked a table for six. The restaurant was bijou and pleasant looking.However when the starter was delivered, they all looked appetising, however they all tasted bland and lacked taste. When I approached a member of staff about my concerns, his answer was "add more salt". From now on the whole evening exacerbated, when their cheap wine at extortionate prices was produced. To follow we had to wait 45 minutes to receive our main course; again presented well, however tasteless.
Finally I informed a member of staff, on payment, that I was not very satisfied with the quality of the food and that I would say so on Tripadvisor, The member of staff laughed and stated that they had a method of expunging any adverse reviews, What this member of staff meant, I have no idea. However it seemed very nefarious.
I will not be attending this establishment again; it was nice looking. However there was something peculiar about the ambience of this establishment!

17 Thank will o
manchester
“Superlatives in abundance!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Amazing, sublime, etc, etc. We have never been to Northern Ireland so booked 'blind' as it were. We took friends for their anniversary. The food was truly outstanding. Yes, not huge portions but then this is fine dining and I would rather have quality over quantity. The menu reads like a descriptive story. Each ingredient listed and at times they may seem at odds but do not judge before eating! Coriander sprig with banana bread pudding? cucumber with white chocolate mousse? Truly inspired. The cannon of mourne lamb was so delicious and each element on the plate was fastidiously presented. Take time to savour each item individually to truly appreciate the skills. Joery, the chef, came to speak with each of the guests and was generous enough to share his recipe. When choosing our wine I was tempted to try something new, a Lebanese wine, but was unsure. I told the maitre'd what I would usually prefer on the menu and he recommended I try the Lebanese. Excellent choice. Our friends themselves were so impressed they too said it should be Michelin starred. I wish this restaurant was in Manchester.
As to a previous reviewers comments about having been three times but never in a rush to return: if it is so bad then once should be enough. Small portions? Perhaps, but that is quality and one should value the inordinate time and effort that accompanies every dish.

2 Thank estelleManchester
Helen's Bay, United Kingdom
“Great find”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We have eaten here a couple of times. The restaurant is in the old harbour masters office down beside the marina. The restaurant is downstairs when you enter and is topically decorated. The food presentation is first class and the menu while not really expansive has something for everyone. The service was first class to match the food. We will definitely return.