“Absolutely fabulous meal worth every penny”

The Boat House Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 169 Restaurants in Bangor
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The best of international cooking using great local produce served with flair.
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We live very close to this restaurant and have never visited, not sure why. however we decided to go for a special Sunday meal and had the 6 courses for £35. Every aspect of our visit was gorgeous. The food was amazing and so unusual. The portions are just the right size and the flavours were great. I particularly liked the goose main course. The staff were informative and friendly. I have been recommending this place ever since and we will definitely be back

1  Thank jenniferham

Reviewed April 6, 2013

The lights are dim and the place is friendly, comfortable and quiet. The staff are welcoming and helpful with info about the food and wines- I think I learned quite a bit actually! We ordered the tasting menu with the wine pairings. We were well satisfied by the end of the meal, but the treacle tart was so delicious.

The wines were very well matched to the food. It really made it much more of an experience. There was a final red dessert wine that tasted like figs, it was so good. I would certainly recommend that as a complete experience.

My husband's favorite was this melt-in-your-mouth lamb belly extravaganza. I really liked the very first dish which was the beetroot, with little tastes of horseradish and wasabi. I loved the beetroot macaroon - I would have liked even more of a punch of horseradish on the plate too. There were also macroons again towards the end of the meal with a sweet glazed carrot and bluecheese dish. That was a nice symmetry - and then the sweetness of the carrots was a nice segue from the savory dishes. We really pored over each plate and each flavor. It was actually lots of fun!

They accommodated my husband's lactose intolerance with no trouble at all, and we felt very well looked-after there. It was all surprisingly friendly and laid back.

We're going back for our anniversary, and plan to try the a la carte options next! I wonder if you can get wine pairings with the a la carte options? We shall see.

1  Thank nearly
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I ventured to The Boathouse to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. Jasper and Joery did not disappoint.

Jasper's front of house service was impeccable, as it always has been. But I have to say Joery's food was the star attraction - lovely carpaccio to start, an amazing goose main course, and topped off by the best dessert I have had in years. Try the chocolate brownie with the little meringue and the black cherries - it is to die for!

So thank you to the Castel brothers for making our first anniversary one we won't forget.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Well, I can't officially say that as I as yet haven't been to Chris Bell's River Room. But this has most definitely been my best dining experience in Northern Ireland ever.

At it was Sunday, I went for the 5 course tasting menu, which is excellent value at £35. As usual the chef starts off on a high, Beef carpaccio, pickled girolles, pine nut crème, red pepper coulis, cep powder, Parmesan, pine nuts, sour dough croutons. The marrying of the carpaccio, girolles, the creme and the coulis were perfect, everything else just window dressing. Not thinly sliced beef, but a slice, around 8mm thick, which was so soft, it was almost like cutting into butter. The acidity and flavour of the girolles acted as a lovely counter foil to the creme and couli, with the coulis giving a touch of sweetness.

My dining partner had the crozier blue and carrot starter, which is fast becoming the restaurant's signature dish, and a very versatile one. My fish course, poached sea trout with fennel salt, cauliflower crème, roasted cauliflower, Goatsbridge Irish caviar, orange oil, pistachios, marigold petals, was again a triumph in the marrying of flavours. The perfectly sous vide fish with a crispy skin, the cauliflower and the orange oil was delicious, little exploisions of fishy flavour with the caviar gave definition to the dish, that it was a fish course.

On to the mains, my veal dish the failiure of the evening, served with a pea puree and a citrus granita mised through whole peas. The strength of the granita totally over powered the veal. Howevermy partner had the goose breast a dish, that has been on the menu a while and which they have reworked reflecting the fact that we are now in spring!! Roasted goose breast, Jerusalem artichoke purée, red onion tartlet, spiced currant & liquorice jus, crispy kale, potato croquette. Simply a culinary triumph. It was meant to be on the tasting menu, but as my dining partner ordered this, mine obviously was switched. Good customer service, but I was done m'lud!! This dish compares to dishes I have regularly had in 2 michelin star establishments in London.

We were both treated to pre desserts Carmelle Gamay rose jelly, aerated raspberry Clandeboye estate yoghurt, burned orange powder, confit of orange. Lovely way to cleanse the palate for the next course, which for me was Lemon tartlet, poppy seeds, cocoa nibs, sweet yoghurt, thyme gel, confit of blood orange, champagne & raspberry sorbet. A lovely dessert, loved the interaction of the thyme gel with the lemon tartlet, but after the pre dessert maybe too much acidity in the dish. Would have maybe like to have been finished off with a heavy chocolate dish, and slip sublimely into a culinary coma.

Service was impeccable and most definitely added to the evening to make it a special and memorable one. I like the wine list in the Boathouse, because there are wines on the list and I cannot identify the source immediately. As I said in a previous review the prices are not exorbitant and we had a gorgeous Rioja GR which paired perfectly with my partners goose dish.

I will find it very hard to understand why this restaurant does not get a Michelin star in the next year. They would be very deserving of it as they really are flying the Northern Irish flag for excellent culinary experiences.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I love going to the Boathouse. The food is amazing, just pure heaven and the service is always so personal. It is truly something special!

1  Thank yolandehanna