“A tasty treat well worth having..” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Boat House Restaurant

The Boat House Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 157 Restaurants in Bangor
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Description: The best of international cooking using great local produce served with flair.
Belfast, United Kingdom
“A tasty treat well worth having..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have been to The Boathouse on three occasions now and it gets top marks every time.
From the minute you walk in the door you know you are somewhere rather special. The unusual building lends itself to it's purpose very well. The front of house and waiting staff are friendly, professional and really know their menu. The food is interesting, unusual and always delicious, every course is a delight for the taste buds. It is expensive, but here you get what you pay for and I'd gladly pay again and again for more! Less of a meal, more of a dining experience. We can't wait for our next visit!

3 Thank Grumpiestcat

Chester, United Kingdom
“Truly excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

A truly exceptional place. We all had the 7 course tasting menu, fabulous! Fab wine to accompany, served by informative, and genuinely lovely staff. This is a real gem, and so happy to find! I cannot wait to return! Thank you for a great evening!!!!

2 Thank Superkersh
“Simply outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

We took the train down at Christmas to get a vegetarian friend a decent meal. The "veggie options" most restaurants in Northern Ireland offer, even the high-end restaurants, are exceedingly poor. The Boathouse on the other hand offer a five or seven course vegetarian tasting menu. Our friend, who lives in England and is picky to say the least, considered the meal he had better by long stretch than the tasting course at Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons!

We've returned since, for a Saturday lunch and a Friday dinner service. The restaurant is flawless: excellent service in a tiny converted boat house; an excellent wine-list and simply the best, most refined food in Northern Ireland. Joery the chef visits every table after service and he and his brother deserve the recognition of a certain French guide. The fact is that the Boathouse is very much "worth a detour."

1 Thank hermeneut
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Top Marks (Again)....!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

A return visit to our favourite restaurant, and not as good as usual, but Much Better....!!!!

Visited with some friends on Saturday night and all agreed that Joery the owner / chef, although under pressure with his second chef off for the night absolutely nailed it and provided us with our best meal yet in this fantastic top end restaurant.

Having developed a serious shellfish allergy I was left salivating over some of the fabulous dishes my company were eating and that I couldn't have. I was not dissapointed though, as having to 'make do' with my poached sea trout starter and excellent goose breast was no real hardship.... And that is not even to mention the seriously 'seriously' desserts. This food was all presented in a fantastically innovative, cutting edge style and conveyed to our table with the usual highly professional way that we take for granted at The Boathouse.

Having read some of the other more recent reviews, I am left wondering what people here really expect. I am lucky to have eaten in many top restaurants all over the world and think that the food in this place deserves its place right in there amongst them. It is not a steak and chips grill and not only does not profess to be so. I agree, that from a price perspective it lends itself to the high side of Bangor restaurants, but I would rather eat once here than twice somewhere else and and that is not to say that The Boathouse is anywhere near as twice as expensive, it is not. Take a look at some of my more recent reviews to understand what I mean about price verse quality.

All in all, fortunately for me this place is something I can take for granted, I know when I go here I am going to get excellent food complimented by great service, what else can one ask for....?? If you haven't been there you really should go and Taste.

1 Thank swift0262
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Went for dinner last night. This was our 3rd visit to The Boathouse and it was as good as ever. We decided to go for the 5 course tasting menu which was exquisite. Each course was just perfect. Great atmosphere, excellent service and arguably the best food I've tasted in N.Ireland. Great to have such a good restaurant on our doorstep!

2 Thank Jean P