“Lobster tasting” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Boat House Restaurant

The Boat House Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 157 Restaurants in Bangor
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Description: The best of international cooking using great local produce served with flair.
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Lobster tasting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Finally decided to try the lobster tasting menu with matching wine arrangment when there for a special anniversary. Was it worth £175 for two? Hell yes!

Only critisism is Jasper was intiially be very attentive and kept our glasses full and then he seemed to lose interest in our table and spend more time at the tables of what appeared to be regulars.

Overall, for a special occassion, it is worth spashing out on the lobster tasting menu.

• Visited August 2012
4 Thank Ian3583

UK
“Always excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Amazing food and service. Have never had a bad experience in this restaurant. It is always welcoming , the service and food are consistently excellent.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Matilda123
Belfast
“My favourite restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Since discovering the Boathouse last year I have made a point of going as often as I can, and tell everyone about it! Unassuming from the outside (a small stone house in Bangor Marina car park), the service is always friendly, and the food is, without fail, amazing. Visually, this is the sort of cooking that you see on Great British Menu and think "Wow!". Taste-wise, the chef puts together combinations of food that sound odd but taste delicious!

I've noticed people say the menu isn't the biggest. The restaurant isn't the biggest either, there aren't many more than a dozen tables, and so I doubt it would make sense to have a massive menu and keep all ingredients fresh. There is enough choice, and every dish I've tried is wonderful. If you're a fussy eater then check it out online before you book. I would highly recommend the tasting menu as a special treat. The front of house staff have a friendly but not OTT manner, and Jasper knows all there is to know about wine!

If you have a Hi-Life card, this place becomes an absolute bargain. If you don't, then book it for a special occasion.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank BelleOfBelfastCity
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Honest review!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Ok I am going to give my honest review as this is what tripadvisors all about! Yes so the food is usually good and well presented but the last time I wasn't so pleased! We were out for a meal with the family and as always the place is always packed and this is a good sign but I don't think it gives you the full attention needed from the servers! There were times I was waiting to get the servers attention and this was just not possible! The food took a long time to come out and after we recieved our food the server never returned as we wanted some extra portions! I got a steak and to be honest considering the price it wasn't really worth it I feel, yes presentation is well done but I just didn't think it was amazing! I have ate here many times and has aways been fine but when deciding where to have business lunches I don't think i will return! I am sorry that i had this experience but I know that these issues can be sorted and I do feel that The Boathouse can and will sort these!

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Moira K
Stamford, United Kingdom
“Cosy and delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised to find a restaurant of this quality. The service was amazing and more accomodating than anywhere else we have eaten. All members of our group had different dietary requirements and the staff and chef could not have been more accomodating. We all wanted the lobster tasting menu but also wanted to make changes to include some meat dishes for one of our party and change the dessert for 2 of us. The restaurant took all our requirements on board and presented us with delicious and beautiful food. We've given it 4 out of 5 rather than 5 out of 5 because some of the food lacked flavour and we thought was sometimes only there for the aesthetics. However, this is us being very picky and overall we had an excellent meal, excellent service and would highly recommend treating yourselves to a night at The Boathouse.

• Visited July 2012