“Disappointing”

The Salty Dog Hotel and Bistro
Ranked #15 of 175 Restaurants in Bangor
Cuisines: Irish, Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated on Bangor seafront with views over Belfast Lough The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro prides itself on using local produce to create traditional and contemporary dishes with a twist.From bar snacks, to classic pub food and bistro dishes, as well as our a la carte, we work with local producers to bring the best of Irish Ingredients to the plate; breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in-between.
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Went with a friend because I had good meals before. The food was very mediocre and we waited for a long time for the food to arrive. I won't be rushing back and I certainly won't be recommending the resturant to friends or family.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

enjoyed a lovely meal recently in The Salty Dog. the fish and chips were the best I have tasted
fish was done in a very light batter,which wasn't greasy. Lovely view of the sea and there was a good atmosphere and pleasant staff. would definitely recommend a meal in this restaurant as all the food being taken to other tables looked very good.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Have visited on many occasions and have never had a bad experience. Always a great atmosphere and well sourced local food. Service and food is of a high standard. Friendly staff. Great to go for a snack or coffee as well as our favourite, dinner in the evening catching the sun setting on Bangor Bay. My only gripe is I would like to see a different lunch menu with less expensive prices than the evening.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Very nice venue, good food and great views. Service was quick and attentive. Prices were reasonable. Floor could have done with a hoover and mop but apart from this no complaints.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I had been looking forward to a trip to this restaurant for a while, but I have to say was really disappointed. Everything was fine to begin, service was good and we had a lovely table. We had the breads to start which were lovely. We were eating off the A La Carte menu which wasn't cheap so expected it to be good. I ordered the turbot and my husband ordered the Suckling pig, however this was where it all started to go wrong. Mine I have to say was lovely, but looking at the portions a side dish between us would have been needed. The Suckling pig was awful! It consisted of 2 small cutlets sitting on a pile of mushy meat that was stone cold! No lovely crispy crackling, no gravy or jus, but a dollop of a red coloured sauce and a couple of potatoes no bigger than gnocci. The meat was bland and tasteless. When I remarked to the waiter on how cold it was he said that was how it was served at room temperature. No way was this room temp. He did ask if we would prefer something else, but my hubby is not one to complain and said no, however I did ask for a bowl of chips given the portion size. These came a few minutes later and were virtually cremated. Again when we remarked to the waiter how burnt they were he said, "but I am not charging you for them" and then asked if he should bring the dessert menu.. to which we answered no!
Overall the experience was very disappointing and I know I won't convince my hubby to go back!

1  Thank Setdancer9292