“very good”

The Salty Dog Hotel and Bistro
Ranked #14 of 163 Restaurants in Bangor
Cuisines: Irish, Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated on Bangor seafront with views over Belfast Lough The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro prides itself on using local produce to create traditional and contemporary dishes with a twist.From bar snacks, to classic pub food and bistro dishes, as well as our a la carte, we work with local producers to bring the best of Irish Ingredients to the plate; breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in-between.
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We went on a Friday and it became full as the evening progressed and had a good atmosphere. The lady who served us was great. Our food was all excellent, apart from the vegetarian pea tart which was very dry and not enjoyable. My scallops starter and duck special were both very tasty. The prices are quite high, especially when you compare it to some of the other competition in the area. Sides are expensive at nearly £4 though the triple cooked chips were excellent. Because of the prices we would probably only revisit for a special occasion.

There are newer reviews for The Salty Dog Hotel and Bistro

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Lovely Setting, Lovely Food, Slightly pricey so glad we were there on special deal. Arrived on time, shown to our table which was in the middle of room when I asked could we have the table against the wall the waiter said it was already booked in advance and proceded to inform me that as they were very busy both the tables were double booked anyhow. I did not want to cause a scene so accepted the original table assuming that a couple paying the full price had booked the other table only to my amazement 2 mins later the couple arrived and they were on a deal too!!!! Needless to say annoyed was not the word! Putting that aside the food was delicious and the service was good. The wine which accompanied our meal was also of excellent quality for it to be house wine. We decided to treat ourselves to dessert I had the special chocolate pot and raspberry sorbet. I thought it would be mousse however it turned out to be exactly what it said it was ...a pot of dark chocolate for the price of £6.00! I could not finish it as it was just too sickly sweet.
All in all nice place to go for a special treat but would need to save up for this experience beforehand

Reviewed February 25, 2014

I had the good fortune to have an absolutely delicious meal here at Christmas, it was a two course meal and was of exceptional quality. I opted for the traditional Christmas dinner with the added delight of the chefs homemade stuffing which had cranberry added to it. I have never tasted anything as good anywhere else. I followed this with Christmas Pudding served with Brandy custard and homemade cinnamon ice cream which was another revelation. The surroundings inside the restaurant were beautiful and very clean and the staff were absolutely fantastic as they didn't try to rush us through the meal to get us out the door, they even let us sit while they were setting the tables for breakfast the next morning. Will definitely try and get back to this restaurant again in the very near future.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

All food locally sourced - best cuisine I've ever experienced in all my travels. Breakfast is second to none and a la catre is to die for - will def be back

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Brought Australian family to the salty dog for a meal and could honestly say it was outstanding scallops for starters were beaut and as Australians are really into there fish said they wer the best they have had the pan fried chicken duo was so tasty and was the lamb and duck dishes service faultless will defo be back