“Excellent food”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ellon
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Was here with my girlfriend over the weekend for a meal.
I was pleased with the wide selection of food on the menu which caters for everyone's taste.
Meal was perfect and reasonably priced.
Highly recommend the Buchan hotel.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

GOOD POINTS
The rooms - Newly refurbished to a high standard. Comfy beds with good bed linen, tartan pillows and nice finishings.

Bathrooms – Shower was fine and all extremely clean.

Restaurant – again newly refurbished to a high standard, very nice waitress looking after us.

Breakfast – Very good indeed, there is a choice of full cooked breakfast, haddock and poached egg or kippers.

BAD POINTS
The staff! Both the lady who checked us in and the lady who checked us out were unfriendly and unhelpful. We were told to check out early because the roads would be closed the next day for a road race. There was no advanced warning. When checking out there was no eye contact and no ‘did you enjoy your stay’.

Hovering started directly outside our room at 8am, we got the impression they wanted us out ASAP.

Price!! The night before we had paid £99 for the three of us to have dinner bed and breakfast, and use of the spa at the Aberdeen Marriott. This place charged £90 for B&B.

Overall – we stayed here because there was a wedding in the hotel just up the road. I get the impression that they are cashing in on overspill from functions that are put on by the New Inn Hotel. That said the rooms were perfectly comfortable and it looks like quite a bit of money has been spent refurbishing the place – just a shame that that was spoilt by staff who wanted our cash quickly and for us to be out of their hair asap.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Scotland
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Having been to the restaurant a couple of times and had no issues, it was surprising what an awful experience we recently had here.

Not only was the food sub-standard (how can you go wrong with Macaroni Cheese especially for just under £9?) but half way through eating, a bird flew into the main restaurant. It was flying and poo'ing everywhere for around 10 mins before one member of staff decided to take action by opening a couple of windows. Eventually, it did fly out, but the staff seemed quite lackadaisical about the whole affair as if it was a regular occurence. They didn't once apologise for the incident nor offer any sort of discount to people who had to leave their meals midway as a result.

Next time I'm in Ellon, I'll be heading to a different restaurant.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Ellon hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed here last week after a last minute change to my original plan, which meant accomodation choice was limited. As per many of my reviews my company pay, therefore the value for money is based on my experiance.
The hotel from the out side looks ok, clean, tidy etc. Checked in after a 5 minute wait due to the receptionist serving in the restaurant. She was pleasant but I wasn't told where my room was or what time breakast was served from. I sussed a trip up the adjacent stairs may lead me to my room.
The room - quite tidy, decent bed. However the room had a mustey odour to it, which resulted in a trip to the local shop for a tin of air freshner!
Bathroom was dated and required some TLC. Shower took 5 minutes to run from cold to hot.

Curtains but no blind in the room, had to keep covered up, couldn't open the window for air as the window box / plants prevented me from doing so. To be honest I didn't want to stay in my room therefore I changed and went for a walk and had food elsewhere.
I'd been on the go from 4am and settled down for the night around 10pm, however as my room overlooked the main street I subjected to drag racing until the early hours. Plus as some of the doors don't seem to close easily the banging of them as people returned made sleeping difficult.
Breakfast was ok, selection of the usual suspects, cereals, juice etc..I plumbed for smoked haddock and poached egg, which was nice.
I appreciate Ellon is blessed with a rake of hotels and I never like to be negative, however I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: One away from the main street
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Aberdeenshire
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Food was good one night, terrible the next, when we complained we were basically told to lump it! Owner is rude and staff have low morale and boy does it show. The only good thing is that the hotel is well furnished and clean. There is another far better hotel along the road with excellent food.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

Having read the reviews on trip advisor I really thought I was taking a big chance booking here but what a pleasant surprise. Hotel easy to find right on main street, food excellent and good value and room spotless and recently refurbished by the decor. I would certainly recommend a visit to this very nice hotel

• Stayed August 2012
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed here at short notice, the room looked like it was in a time warp circa 1970's. No refurb here for decades and it was not cheap. Glad it was only here for one night, or I would have checked out and went elsewhere since the room was kind of depressing. Had dinner in the restaurant which was good.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank pepsi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellon
Kilmarnock Arms Hotel
Kilmarnock Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cruden Bay (Port Erroll)
Saplinbrae Hotel & Lodges
#1 of 3 in Newburgh
Shallowplough
Shallowplough
#1 of 1 in Ellon

Been to Buchan Hotel? Share your experiences!