“large family get together”
Review of Trefeddian Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Trefeddian Hotel
Leominster, United Kingdom
“large family get together”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just back from a weekend at the Trefeddian hotel in Aberdyfi. 19 people in our party aged from 14 to 80 plus 6 dogs. The get together was to celebrate Grans 80th.
The hotel provided great breakfasts with a very good choice.
Our evening meal was also included in our package which consisted of 5 course menus.
Staff were all very jolly ,fun and helpfull, food was served quickly (not bad considering there were 19 of us and they were catering for a couple more groups like ourselves.
Food was good, wide choice, not Michelin star by any standard but very edible for the large numbers they can cater for.
Hotel facilities were also good they really do cater for every age group with games room, swimming pool, golf course directly in front of hotel, miles of sandy beeches just a short walk away, fantastic sea views.
The hotel was very clean and tidy and well maintained.
The room I shared with my wife was a little on the small side and we only had a double bed a king-size would have been much better.
Although we had 6 dogs if you are not dog lovers they are only allowed in one of the lounges.
All in all no complaints from any of our party we all had a great weekend, helped by radiant sunshine.

Room Tip: Ask about bed size
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ed C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have been going to Trefedian for some years now and always have a lovely stay there. All the staff are friendly, helpful and will do everything they can to accommodate you. As a single room guest, I often feel cheated by hotel rooms on offer, but the single rooms here are very pleasant, spacious and comfortable.
There is plenty to do in and around the area (honey ice creams in nearby Towyn is always my favourite) and the hotel has good facilities, including tennis courts, swimming pool (though the pool is pretty small), pitch and putt, to keep you occupied.
In terms of food, the first thing to say is that the waiting staff here make dining an absolute delight. They are exceedingly thoughtful, professional and competent, and ,with a few exceptions (mainly new, young recruits), find plenty of time to chat to you and make you laugh. The food is good- breakfast has a wonderful selection and afternoon tea is incredible, with gorgeous scones and cakes. Dinner is a 5 course affair, and again the selection on offer is remarkable, and of high quality. My only quibbles are that the toast at breakfast can often be cold, and that the selection of veg at dinner (which used to change every day) has been exactly the same the for the past 3 week stays I've had!
All in all, the hotel offers a wonderful break away for everyone from families, to lone holidayers such as myself, and all without the horrific experience of air travel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Laxtitute B
Ludlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed end of February with my wife and two children for a 5 night stay at the Trefeddian Hotel. We normally come down to aberdovey in the first week of the school summer holidays, but decided to book a week off work in Feb and bring my wife and kids away.

We had a very good stay, the food was excellent for breakfast & dinner. You can ask your waitress for a small portion for the kids, because 5 courses does take a lot of digesting by night no 4! But on other hand the staff were very helpful and professional, ( one small constructive criticism when we were checked in; the lady behind the reception couldn't break a smile... which I thought was not a very good first impression when you have just checked in after a long journey in the car! )

I do recommend this hotel to any family who wish to bring there kids away, there is plenty to do, beach/swimming/tennis.. Also good value for money in the low season months! Aberdovey is such a peaceful little village tucked away on the west coast of Wales, great for a family holiday. We will back in the summer, with sunshine..

Room Tip: Rooms that end with 17, the side sea facing family bedrooms.. Large and plenty of room for a family...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ethan D
england
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our hearts always lift as we drive along the beautiful estuary en route to this hotel. And in this horrible winter the sun came out to meet us. This staff (does any hotel have such a happy workforce) are as friendly , our little dog friendly lounge as cosy,and the pool as delightful as ever.
My tiny quibble, that fish could be overcooked, has been resolved and they now have a steam oven out of which came a delicious dish of steamed stuffed plaice. The sunshine persuaded us to set off for a glorious 7 mile walk in the hills round Bearded Lake ( recommended) fortified by delicious packed lunches.Both breakfasts and dinners were of a very high standard, as ever,and the hotel continues to attract people of all ages. And some dogs!A lovely stay of very good value.I noted a comment that the wine list is overpriced. It is not.

Room Tip: had a sea view, they are wonderful.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank travellingpair_10
UK
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We has a lovely weekend in Aberdovey. The hotel was in a perfect location - we had a sea view room, and the views put a smile on your face. The food was of a great standard, and surprisingly imaginative. We enjoyed every mouthful on both nights. The well maintained cruets, cutlery and crockery really made the table settings something special. Wine was not over priced. The hotel offers several great lounges for relaxing after all the food you consume - again all offering great views. Ideal for reading. We also practised our putting on the hotel's putting green. It was extremely well maintained and good fun. The rooms was very comfortable and we slept really well.
There are spa treatments available. What is offered varies day to day. Best to check with reception on what is available before looking at the treatment menu.
Downside - the service in the restaurant was a little to fast at times. Dress code applies in the restaurant of shirt and tie for the gentlemen. Luckily the food made up for this. I am not sure how many more generations will put up with this rule. A young family did eat wearing jeans, so it seems the rule is not too strict. The bathroom could be better equipped with larger towels. I would take a robe if I visited agin. Don't rely on the provided toiletries since they are not the most luxurious.
We really enjoyed our stay in this great location, and if we were passing by again we would stay again. Thanks to everyone for contributing to a lovely weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for a Sea View.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank smithlette
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Firstly, I fully support the sentiments in good reviews of this hotel that concentate on the comfort and relaxing atmosphere. Our room was lovely, with a sea view; the lounge areas are inviting (and I particulary like the dedication of one to dog owners, and I would enjoy sharing it); the excellent choice on the menues, breakfast and dinner; and the location. The dining room staff are wonderful. I also appreciated the packed meal that was made for my friend who had to leave early and miss the evening meal. However, I sense that staff might find it hard to respond flexibly to new situations. For example, I was very concerned about the review that mentioned the poor response to the idea of a small child in the dining room at dinner time (I did notice many children at breakfast). There was also a difficult incident in relation to a room change that is not my story either, but worried me. The story about the snowy road and closed pool in another review are also of concern. I found the staff at reception lacking in knowledge - initially when I phoned about my companion having to leave early I was not told about the packed meal, just that there would be no reduction in the tariff. When I went to speak to them one woman continued what appeared to be a personal conversation, ignoring me. When she did give me her attention, it was from where she was sitting rather than her approaching me at the desk.

So, would I return? Yes, as I think that it is probable that my concerns are isolated incidents and unlikely to reoccur. However, I believe that management could learn from the negative review comments and not rely entirely on the positive always overcoming the reservations they raise.

Room Tip: The sea views and balconies are worth it when it is sunny.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank cindylou45
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Recently had an overnight stop at this beautifully located hotel with myself & my husband 2 kids & 2 dalmation dogs... Honestly couldn't have picked a better place... Very dog friendly and lots to keep the kids happy, swimming pool, snooker, table tennis & mini golf! Bliss...The rooms are extremely comfortable & we had a fantastic view of the beach & golf course. Food is excellent and very traditional in the dining room... Bar & lounges are a great place to settle in with a book or a newspaper. A great place to just RELAX!
Look forward to returning again very soon

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Penhelig Arms
Penhelig Arms
#2 of 3 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Penmaenuchaf Hall
Dolserau Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Brithdir
Seabreeze Restaurant with Rooms
Seabreeze Restaurant with Rooms
#2 of 11 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)

Been to Trefeddian Hotel? Share your experiences!