“Shame”
Review of Trefeddian Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Trefeddian Hotel
Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

Went for lunch with great expectations as it is a 4 star hotel.
I'm a great fan of chicken Caesar salad but unfortunately the chef isn't . If your going to do a caesar salad please please use cos lettuce and the dressings was truly awfully, if you have it on your menu do it properly or don't do it at all. The service was great, location better. I have never been a great lover of hotel restuarants in this country maybe this is why

• Stayed: June 2012

Reviewed June 18, 2012

My 80 year old Grandmother has been holidaying in the local area for 60 years, my mother all her life, myself all my life, and my children, all their life. We own a caravan 10 miles from Aberdovey and this is frequented for at least 4 months full time in a year. It was my Grandmothers 80th Birthday and she has always wanted to stay at the Trefeddian, but thought it could never be afforded, so as a surprise, we all saved and the four generations went. I was a little apprehensive, an 80 year old, two 60 year old parents, myself, my pregnant partner, my 14 month old twin boys and our two dogs! But do you know we were all catered for! My Grandmother enjoyed the quite of the adult room, the views, the lovely food and service, we stayed in the self catering house number 5 but my parents had the boys in a giant family room, and all four of them were catered for too. Throughout our booking we dealt with a man by the name of Nick who sorted everything in our every changing needs. Four cots, two in the family room, two in the house, two highchairs, you name it we needed it! The playroom worked out well for the boys, the swimming pool once again great for us all, bar my Grandmother. A few niggles, the house stated it had a tumble dryer, it did not, a bit difficult for us with the twins and the typical welsh weather, the house also did not have a grill pan but a grill! When we requested a grill pan, two days later two baking trays and a jug arrived in the property! The childrens menu sevice was fed in the dining room with all the curtains shut, my children were confused thinking they were sat in a highchair at night. I dont understand why the children are not allowed the curtains open, I know their dinner service is upmarket but I am sure wanderers past would not be adverse to half an hour of highchair eating, it is a serperate dinner service to that of the adults anyway. And finally, lovely local food served, but not one bit of lamb on the menu for the week! I thought we were in Wales? All in all, for a place to cater so well for 4 generations has amazed me, and we were not the only four generation family there. We enjoyed this trip so much we have booked to go the same time again next year, with an extra baby in the equation!

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view, its worth the extra!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank N1kk5881
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Unable to travel to foreign climes at the moment, my wife and I paid our 5th or 6th trip to the Trefeddian in early June. The location takes some beating with sea views which never fail to surprise. Food has improved in the last three years and service is, on the whole, better than average. It's a good base for walkers exploring Snowdonia. The rooms, while small, are well equipped and the lounges are especially relaxing. If we can get in, will be going back as soon as there is high pressure on the weather chart...

Room Tip: We prefer a sea view room to watch the golf!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Garth L
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Stayed with my husband and 9 month old baby for a short two night stay. Staff were great very attentive and happy to help with whatever we needed. The hotel has excellent facilities the pool was fab, there was a indoor play area for the little ones which was great as it was very warm when we stayed so we took our son inside for a while to play. We had a hill view room but I can imagine the sea view rooms are worth the extra for the gorgeous view. Our room though was large and clean so no complaints. We used the child listening service in the evenings and enjoyed two very nice meals which was lovely as we rarely get out these days. The food in the hotel is very good breakfast especially. Aberdovey is lovely and we would definately visit both the area and the hotel again

Room Tip: If you can afford the extra splash out for a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Newoldmaid
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Overall the Trefeddian is a nice hotel. Most of the staff are really polite and pleasant. Some of the reception team are a bit hostile, and some of the restaurant staff are a bit uneducated.
We ordered a ironing board and iron and this took several attempts to arrive. After three phone calls to the reception they eventually brought it up to the room. The food overall is really good, the odd thing is a bit over cooked / under cooked, and the odd thing is microwaved etc.
The hotel only has one really small lift which is generally in use and is very slow to operate. Free wi-fi is available but this only works down stairs in the lounge areas. Had a nice time in Aberdovey and we have been her for years. This was the first time we had used the Trefeddian and we would use it again,, but I think they need a bit of a wake up. They tend to rush you through the courses at meal times which can be annoying as its nice to relax and take your time when you are on holiday. It feels abit like your at work with the speed they bring out your food etc. The one waitress was really attentive and friendly in the restaurant. Then we had a young man who was pretty clueless with any questions we asked him, and if you ordered meat he guessed to how you would like it cooked. Shame really as most of the staff are really good but the odd ones let the place down...............

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 777finediner007
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We have been visiting the Trefeddian now for around 8 years. The beds are comfy, rooms spotlessly clean, excellant food, and all the staff so helpful. Not only is it a wonderful place to stay for us humans, but our 4 legged family are made welcome too. It is a place that you can relax and unwind, without looking over your shoulder..... May I suggest as a way of improvement air conditioning in the bed rooms and dining room, and a larger dog lounge, but on saying that when we arrive in the carpark at the start of our holiday we really don't want to be anywhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, with balcony, and a family room will give you that added extra space.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I've been visiting Aberdovey for many years (I only live about an hour away these days) and although I've eaten at The Trefeddian and had morning coffee and afternoon tea there, I'd never stayed there and had always wanted to. I thought we were heading for the supermarket but my partner just kept going - I figured out that we were hading for the coast but it wasn't until she aimed the car up the steep drive of The Trefeddian that I knew for sure where we were heading.

I wasn't disapointed. We had a room at the front, on the third floor with the most sublime view over the dunes and out to sea. The weather was superb and we were able to soak up the sun on our balcony - we could have been anywhere in southern Europe with the warmth and the outlook.

We wre lucky enough to be given a seat next to an open window in the restaurant, and we ate while thye sun set behind the cedars. Dinner was excellent - food and service were of a very high standard. My lamb loin chops on Saturday were so tender, cooked to perfection with just the right amount of seasonong and sauce, and my partner's goat's cheese concoction was, according to her, "wonderful".

Breakfast set us up for the whole day.

It seems churlish to grumble after such a lovely weekend, but bear in mind my overall rating of four out of five when I tell you that the reception staff were a bit grumpy and disinterested during our stay - they seemed distracted. I also wish that there had been Wifi in the room (we travel a lot and have become accustomed to hotels providing this as part of the service), and, please, put glasses in the bathroom instead of those horrible plastic beakers.

These minor niggles weren't a major issue though and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It's good to experience a private hotel, a world away from the corporate plastic of the big chains.

Thanks - I hope we'll be back before my next landmark birthday!

Room Tip: Shower or balcony - you don't get both. I'd go for the bathtub, balcony and view option ever...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Teeaitch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Penhelig Arms
Penhelig Arms
#2 of 3 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
15 mi away
Ty Mawr Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanbedr
Seabreeze Restaurant with Rooms
Seabreeze Restaurant with Rooms
#3 of 11 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)

Been to Trefeddian Hotel? Share your experiences!