“Very nice hotel, great staff and food”
Review of Penhelig Arms

Penhelig Arms
uk
“Very nice hotel, great staff and food”
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

On a short break in wales on the motorcycle and stayed on 1st may in main part of hotel, great value and a very friendly bar. Food was excellent the sirloin steak was cooked to perfection. It was so nice that other visitors to the area came into the bar and where very friendly
Would go back but would try and stay in the suites on the top levele, great views
A credit to the staff
Richard

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My boyfriend booked this hotel for a birthday surprise. Disappointed with the lack of service where he normally stays he hopped on to late rooms and booked this one. Upon arrival we were welcomed by the staff who checked us in and directed us to our room. Room three was more like a suite than a standard double with views of the sea. A spotless room with a lovely comfy bed and a very clean bathroom. We had a drink before heading into town (only a short walk to the main bars and restaurants).
Upon looking at tripadvisor I was taken aback by the recent reviews however reserved judgment until breakfast... We were not disappointed! A great choice of both continental and full English served by friendly and accommodating staff.
I don't know what the hotel was like prior to the mentioned brewery take over however I would strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a warm, welcoming and comfortable stay!

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Hamsamfa
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

As a large extended family with a property just minutes away from the Penhelig Arms, we are SO very disappointed to see the Penhelig Arms fall from being a superb busy service-led gastro pub & restaurant to no more than a downmarket bog-standard pub experience.

Run previously by a team dedicated to delivering impeccable detail & fabulous food to both locals & tourists alike, the Penhelig Arms was recently bought by Brains Brewery who have recruited unfriendly & unhelpful staff serving very ordinary food, tired furnishings & wilting plants. As many other reviewers have said - trading off it's old reputation like this can only last so long.
Come on Brains Brewery - this COULD be an absolute goldmine for you!! Under the previous owners, such was the fantastic reputation of the place that customers had to book weeks (sometimes months) in advance to secure a table in the restaurant on a holiday weekend. This weekend the bar was almost empty, the staff looked like they couldn't care less we were there & we waited over an hour for our very average food to arrive.
We've given it a few chances under the brewery ownership, & have been very disappointed every time. We won't be spending our money in there again, unless things radically change.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank FeatherWeather
Merseyside
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for three nights over the Easter weekend.

Arrived at hotel and managed to park in the small car park opposite the hotel, room only for 6 to 7 cars. There is some on street parking nearby and a pay and display car park around the corner. If you are staying in Penhelig House or Bodhelig you get your own assigned space at Bodhelig.

Although it was only midday our room was ready and the manager let us book in. We had booked a small double and were assigned Room 10. This was on the second floor above the hotel entrance. It was a compact room but had plenty of storage space and a lovely view over the estuary. The ensuite shower was very powerful and there was plenty of hot water. Be careful of the towel rail as it is very hot.

The breakfasts were good, especially the cooked component. Perhaps could have a better choice of cereals and some fresh fruit would be welcome. The cooked breakfasts were very enjoyable, we had traditional fried breakfast, scrambled eggs with mushrooms and with smoked salmon and smoked haddock with a poached egg. Breakfast was served with a large pot of tea and toast.

We had two evening meals in the hotel, one in the fishermans bar and one in the restaurant. It is similar food in both so you can pick whichever area you feel happy eating in. On the first night I had sea bream which was very nice it was served with a few slices of potatoes and a few leaves and thought there should have been more. I looked enviously at Jackie's Fish, Chips and Peas. Still hungry I ordered the Cheese Slate which was excellent. Enjoyed it so much we had it again on the second night. Three or four different cheeses (selection of cheeses did change), various crackers and something a bit different a slice of honey cake (with a small jar of honey). For the second meal I had whole baked mackerel which was excellent and Jackie had Hake which she enjoyed. We shared the cheese slate.

During our stay we found the staff courteous and helpful. We would certainly stay in the hotel if in the area.

Room Tip: We were happy with our small double (No 10) and the location on the second floor meant that we were...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ruthin, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

What a shame - this place used to be great. The floor was dirty - dogs everywhere when we visited for a Bar Mael. The windows were dirtl - I know its by the seaside - but a quick wipe daily makes the place look a lot better. The prices of the food were I feel overpriced - the most aggrivating thing was the bar manager or barman was totally miserable and makes me wonder why in heavens sake does he do this type of work when he obviously does not like people. A good course in 'Customer Care' would not go amiss.!! The place just seemed dingy in comparison to the previous time we visited there maybe 2years ago. It was Easter and althouigh the waether was cold the place should have been heaving with customers sheltering from the cold winds - but NO! Wont go again.

Room Tip: Dogs in the bar where people are eating and a stale smell of dogs. This used to be a really friendly...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank gareth lewis j
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed April 1, 2013

A lot of the stuff has already been said by some unhappy reviewers below.

The only good thing about the place is its location, I guess.

Here comes the list of bad points...

- Booked online on the day of travel and called up the hotel to double check,only to get, what I would call a cold, if not rude, response.
- Reached the hotel, car park was tricky to get into if you are not the first few visitors
- There is no reception. A small corner near the kitchen entrance had a computer placed where there was no one sat. I had to shout out to a person in the kitchen to get attention.
- When we asked about dinner options, they said, we could have some now(5:40pm) as the restaurant and kitchen would be busy later. For god's sake, give us options.(e.g. you could carry food to your room if that is acceptable etc.)
- Room was not particularly clean
- There was no hot water in the shower, when we mentioned it at check out, we were thanked for letting them know(not even apolegetic)
- A small double bed which was very bad for your back

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank avijay
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Went for a pint at pen which we used to very much frequent but were very disappointed. I had to wait for around 10 mins to even be noticed at the bar, it seemed that stacking glasses was a far more important duty even though the bar was manned by two people. The managerial looking person was uncommunicative to everyone in the bar and looked very untidy. When I had been eventually served I received a very cloudy and expensive pint of rev James which tasted awful. When the pint had been exchanged I went in search of a table I picked the one by the fire which considering the weather conditions would have been better if it it was lit. After sipping my pint I noticed the abundance of cobwebs and flakey plaster and decaying food on the floor this was not the experience I had in mind when I arrived on cold and wintery Easter Saturday. With this in mind I thought that it was in my best interests to leave but before leaving I used the gents toilet which like coming In for a pint was a big mistake, the damp was oozing through the walls the sinks and toilets were in a dire state of disrepair. After this experience I feel that I will not be visiting again there are far better places to go that are close by and this would be my recommendation to anyone try somewhere else. Brains really need to send there head office to inspect there pubs as from what I have seen from many of there pubs they tend to all be in need of TLC but they were not as bad as the pen.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank William M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Penmaenuchaf Hall
Bae Abermaw
#3 of 4 in Barmouth
Awel y Mor
Awel y Mor
#4 of 11 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)

Been to Penhelig Arms? Share your experiences!