“Perfect Litttle Restaurant”

Cuisines: Welsh
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 11, 2012

As a visitor to Aberdovey I chose to go here on my birthday and was so pleased I did as this was the best meal I had whilst staying there. There is nothing 'fancy' about this place but it is instantly warm and welcoming with its little individual booths, colourful interior and check tablecloths which give it a bit of Continental feel. There was an interesting and varied menu with lots of seafood - the seafood pancake was delicious. My fellow diners particularly enjoyed the wild boar medallions and the steak. The service was excellent and the presence of the proprietors both cooking and 'front of house' made for a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. My thanks to them for a lovely birthday meal - I understand they are hoping to retire which I'm sure will be a great loss to Aberdovey!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Cellar Bistro has very much its own style, both food and decor. The Saturday night we visited the place was (deservedly) packed to bursting and we sampled flavours from Spain (meatballs tapas), Italy (tagliatelle bolognese), France (roasted wild boar medallions with apple, mushroom and spring onions) and Britain (fruit crumble & custard).

They have a long and varied menu for a small restaurant but the quality doesn't suffer as a result and there is plenty to tempt you back for another visit. Our limited experience of the wine list (a bottle of French country red) was very positive - delicious.

The staff could not be friendlier or more helpful, very good indeed. If I had a concern I'd wonder if the place would be a little claustrophobic on a hot summer evening: we visited on a warm September evening and while it wasn't too warm inside one wouldn't want it any warmer. Oh and always book: seems a very popular place.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

We had a great meal here tonight. Food was fresh, service was efficient. The price was value for money but not cheap. I heard all the comments about noisy people and although the people on the table next tous were talking quite loud we didn't really feel it was noisy.

1  Thank GillPerry
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We telephoned, at short notice, to reserve a table for that evening (three adults and two children) after juggling around the tables a bit we luckily managed to make a booking.

Colouring books for the kids and a big box of crayons were swiftly delivered to us which enabled us to leisurely choose from the menu and specials.

Very good all round - adequate portions for the kids and the grown ups weren't left wanting either.

Highly recommended and make sure you book.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Have been going the the cellar for dinner for around two years now, am new to trip advisor as this is only my third post.

It is a great family run restaurant with wonderful staff, who we have got to know well over the last couple of years.

We always have a fantastic time and meal. There is a lovely menu, with gluten and dairy free choices including pasta and bread options.

Parents live in Spain and we have visited there a lot over the last 15 yrs, so when paella was added to the menu, it was a must for us!!! 24 hours notice is required, as it is in Spain, but we were not disappointed. The best paella out of Spain and we have been to many Spanish tapas bars and restaurants in UK in major cities!!! Actually, I have to admit that it is better than a lot of paella dishes we have had in Spain.

The Cellar also has a tapas section too, along with sangria on the cocktail menu and a fabulous atmosphere, what more do you want for an authentic Spanish night.