“Never ever visit here!”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Oldbury, United Kingdom
“Never ever visit here!”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Food abysmal... Service abysmal... staff rude !!!!!!
We visited this (can't say restaurant) pub on our first night in Aberdovey... the second day spent with food poisoning. The pork wasn't even cooked... raw practically couldn't even cut it ..they said that's how its supposed to be. er I don't think so.
The steak burger also not cooked (red raw in the middle) sent it back... said they cook a fresh one... came back ..meat had no taste in fact tasted off, and the chips where dried up and scraggy... could have been cooked hours previously.
The bill came to £84 for 4 people. When I was asked if everything was Ok ..I complained but was told that" I was not having a good day was I" .
We should have gone to the chippy ...... least their food is good and know how to, cook.and a lot cheaper too.
All in all CRAP!!!!!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank 900Colin900

Louth, England, United Kingdom
“Fish overcooked, but the smoked duck salad fab!”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The meal was variable, what was good was excellent but there were failings. Fish overcooked and herb salad was a heap of parmesan with a few strands of coriander...we decided to eat somewhere else on the second evening because of the inconsistent standard. The bar where we ate was fairly cold and needed some tlc, but the restaurant seemed nice. Try it, but don't have great expectations!

Visited October 2013
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Worst restaurant meal I've ever had”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

After arriving at the Penhelig Arms for a short stay, we chose to eat in the restaurant on the first night for convenience. What a mistake, it was the worst restaurant meal I've ever had. The steak was just a ball of gristle and the chips looked and tasted like they'd been cooked the previous day. Yuk. My wife couldn't get new potatoes with her fish as they had "run out" and was given inedible chips instead. They also told her that there wasn't any watercress, and so she was given peas (which she doesn't like), although they curiously served watercress with my "steak". The meal was so bad that we had to complain, and the manager agreed that the meals weren't up to standard and didn't charge us. He made some excuses about having more customers than they expected, but surely that is what restaurants should be able to deal with?
All I can say is avoid it at all costs.

• Visited August 2013
Wales
“Could do better”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I went with family for Sunday lunch even after reading reviews on Tripadvisor.
Service was fine - pleasant staff.
sister in law said the roast beef was very good but Yorkshire pudding was cold, My broether enjoyed his seafood casserole. The soup lacked flavour and it is many years since we have been told that a restaurant only serves white bread! I has the roast vegetable lasagne, barely any vegetables in it just layers of pasta, no tomato sauce and no cheese sauce just lots of cheese grated on top - very disappointing. The veg that accompanied the meals was really good.

• Visited September 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Dreadful Meal”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have been visiting Aberdovey for the last 30 years and the highlight of my visit has always been a visit to 'The Pen' for a meal. I visited on Friday, 23 August, 2013 with my parents and have never been so disappointed with anything so much in my life. The food was disgusting!! I ordered the beefburger with fries off the daily menu to be told they had no fries!!! I opted for extra salad when it came it was a pile of soggy leaves with 3 cherry tomatoes plonked on top. When I put my knife into the burger to cut it a fountain of blood shot out!! It was completely raw in the middle. My father's Lasagne was also unedible with a thick hard crust of cheese on the top like a pie lid and very little else and a pile of thick stemmed watercress (again soggy) plonked on the side. They did at least acknowledge it was bad by not charging us but after all these years I will not be going again, there are a lot of nice restaurants, bars in the area.

1 Thank RiojaLady