“Worst restaurant meal I've ever had”
Review of Penhelig Arms

Penhelig Arms
Cuisines: Pub, Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 15, 2013

After arriving at the Penhelig Arms for a short stay, we chose to eat in the restaurant on the first night for convenience. What a mistake, it was the worst restaurant meal I've ever had. The steak was just a ball of gristle and the chips looked and tasted like they'd been cooked the previous day. Yuk. My wife couldn't get new potatoes with her fish as they had "run out" and was given inedible chips instead. They also told her that there wasn't any watercress, and so she was given peas (which she doesn't like), although they curiously served watercress with my "steak". The meal was so bad that we had to complain, and the manager agreed that the meals weren't up to standard and didn't charge us. He made some excuses about having more customers than they expected, but surely that is what restaurants should be able to deal with?
All I can say is avoid it at all costs.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I went with family for Sunday lunch even after reading reviews on Tripadvisor.
Service was fine - pleasant staff.
sister in law said the roast beef was very good but Yorkshire pudding was cold, My broether enjoyed his seafood casserole. The soup lacked flavour and it is many years since we have been told that a restaurant only serves white bread! I has the roast vegetable lasagne, barely any vegetables in it just layers of pasta, no tomato sauce and no cheese sauce just lots of cheese grated on top - very disappointing. The veg that accompanied the meals was really good.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have been visiting Aberdovey for the last 30 years and the highlight of my visit has always been a visit to 'The Pen' for a meal. I visited on Friday, 23 August, 2013 with my parents and have never been so disappointed with anything so much in my life. The food was disgusting!! I ordered the beefburger with fries off the daily menu to be told they had no fries!!! I opted for extra salad when it came it was a pile of soggy leaves with 3 cherry tomatoes plonked on top. When I put my knife into the burger to cut it a fountain of blood shot out!! It was completely raw in the middle. My father's Lasagne was also unedible with a thick hard crust of cheese on the top like a pie lid and very little else and a pile of thick stemmed watercress (again soggy) plonked on the side. They did at least acknowledge it was bad by not charging us but after all these years I will not be going again, there are a lot of nice restaurants, bars in the area.

1  Thank RiojaLady
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I dined here with 6 members of my family (+ baby!) and had a very enjoyable meal. We ordered different items and were very happy with the quality, presentation, amount and price. The wine was lovely and the service good. The staff were very friendly and chatty. We booked an early evening table and liked the fact that the restaurant was not too busy. When we were leaving there were many other diners and the atmosphere was great. The location is also a bonus - on the sea front! I would eat here again

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Having spent many many years coming to Aberdovey, all visits had always included several lunches sitting outside the Pen taking in the view and enjoying a good lunch with a drink or two.
This is my father's favourite haunt (or was) until Tuesday. We ambled down at 1pm and very surprised to see three benches available outside what has been a popular lunch spot. Lucky we thought!
In we went to order, from a choice of four sandwich options. My father and daughter chose hot pork with apple sauce on a bap, I decided on smoked mackerel along with 2 bowls of chops to share. Out we went with our drinks, father noticed the half empty plates left wondering if this was a bad sign.
We waited 30 minutes before being told the pork wasn't available. Could we choose something else from the other 3 options, oh and the barman said the crab was off too, limiting the choice to cheese or mackerel. Reluctantly they chose cheese. I pointed out we were due a refund, which the barman disputed although the menu stated the cheese was a pound cheaper and rather stupidly swore as he walked behind me. We agreed on an third. bowl of chips which would take care of the refund. All sandwiches arrived with 1 bowl of chips. We reminded the barman of the other two to which he replied they arson. Their way. They never arrived!
I had a quiet word with another member of staff who was bringing food out and explained our lack of service and food, she was apologetic and would speak to the kitchen. She gave us back the £4 for two bowls of chips. It is not the kitchens fault, there was a lack of communication. Between front of house and kitchen. Lacknof courtesy from the barman and if I hadn't paid upfront I would not have paid at all.
Maybe the empty bar the night before aside fromna barman along with negative comments from friends should have made us this k twice but we thought benefit of the doubt, my fathers favourite haunt, family memories going back over 43 years but sadly the Pen has changed. Brains taking over maybe?
Unlikely to revisit until we hear better comments.

1  Thank Natalie124