“Good Value”

Dovey Inn
Cardiff
“Good Value”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed at the Dovey Inn whilst playing Golf at Aberdovey. The room was clean and tidy and the breakfast good. My evening meal of steak and chips was nice and the staff very helpful and friendly. All in all, for the rate we paid, it was hard to fault anything. Will use again when in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Carmarthen
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My partner and I visited the Dovey Inn for a meal. The food was good and wasn't too expensive. The staff seemed friendly and helpful. However, we had phoned the Dovey Inn regarding accommodation prior to our visit. The first time, we were assured they would ring us back regarding the type of accommodation we required, but never did. On the second occasion, I managed eventually to get a reply. On both occasions the staff members were friendly, but weren't able to provide the information we required.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gareth P
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My partner and I stayed at The Dovey Inn for one night in late February. We arrived at 11.50am laden with bags and a suitcase to find all the doors locked. Not a great start. When we finally managed to grab a cleaners attention to let us in, it was 12.05. We asked to be checked-in to our room only to be told this was not possible until 14.30, as the rooms were still being cleaned. At this point I wanted to leave and find a proper Hotel but the 2 hour drive had left us hungry and thirsty so we decided to stay. We were asked to take a table and Menus would be brought to us, they never arrived. I went back to the Bar and asked again for the Menus, this time 2 pieces of A4 paper covered in previous guests food did make it to our table. We chose our food and I ordered at the Bar. I asked for a Wine List, they did not have one due to problems with a supplier, but credit to the young lad behind the Bar he suggested wines similar to those I asked for. I asked if our Food could be placed on our Room Tab, the answer was No as the room was not yet available, so I asked if I could open a Bar Tab, again the answer was No, unless you supply a Credit Card. I wanted to pay Cash but was told that "most Hotels nowadays do not accept Cash for paying for Rooms". I was flabbergasted, I had £500 on me to pay for our Weekend, I do not carry a Card of any description. After several hours of on and off discussion the Dovey Inn made an exception and I was allowed to pay Cash.
The only decent thing about the Dovey Inn is the location, the View we had from our Room was excellent, perfect in fact. Unfortunately it was not good enough for us to pay a return visit. Stay at their Sister Hotel, the Penhelig, just 300 yards up the Sea Front and Im told its a proper Hotel, not an aging Pub suffering from lack of experienced staff and dated decor.

Room Tip: All rooms have Sea View
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank z0la

Travelers are raving about these Aberdyfi (Aberdovey) hotels

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We have eaten at the Dovey Inn a number of times and also stayed there for a weekend and always enjoyed our visits but OH BOY this visit was VERY different! !

We arrived about 5 minutes before they opened for lunch planning to eat there, were told they couldnt serve us until 12pm as they had no change in the tills and no menus printed so we waited until 12pm and then ordered a hot chocolate each while we browsed the menu. The middle aged gentleman at the bar appeared to be in a rather bad mood and seemed almost offended to have customers! With a lot of huffing and puffing we go our hot chocs but no sugar or spoons so my partner had to go up and ask for them. The bar managers (not sure if that's what he was!) attitude totally put us off having lunch so we left and ate elsewhere.

A very disappointing visit to say the least!!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Davewill2010
Machynlleth
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Having eaten at the Dovey Inn three times since Christmas the food has never been brilliant but ok for the money, however on our recent visit with some friends I could only describe it as awful.
The cajun chicken was like cardboard , when i ate the coleslaw which had obviously been left to stand and was covered in a greasy yellow film , i bit into a piece of broken cocktail stick when i complained to the waiter, the chef said it was a piece of rosemary from the fresh herbs they use,(no it was a cocktail stick!) I think the chef must have thought for a minute he was working at Jamie Olivers with all those fresh herbs that they dont use, there was nothing fresh about any of the food we had, the gammon wasnt cooked properly and had white scum over it the food seemed very portion controlled in fact the whole meal was like it was bought from Asda and put on a plate, next time well just have a drink and eat elsewhere!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tracey450
sham el sheik
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Enjoyed are stay at the Dovey Arms ,fantastic place for hillwalking The only complaint about the room (No 2 ) the noise from the front door closeing and opening below the room and the high pressure in the pipes after flushng the toilet which made a hell of a noise for several minutes afer.On a posivtive note the view from the room is one of the best inWales overlooking the Dyfi river .The staff and manager very friendly and a good breakfast We will be back

Room Tip: try room 8
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We loved that the reception was actually the bar counter - and couldn't help but tuck in to some beers before heading up to the room. We had a lovely large room overlooking the water - newly renovated and very comfortable. The only issue were the plumbing pipes - which made a racket - but that aside, all was well. Food in the pub was typical pub grub - solid and filling - our only challenge was that we came late and the last order comes early - take note!! Aberdovey was not originally on our itinerary - but this lovely little seaside town is definitely worth a visit - and if you do, stay at the Dovey Inn!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Penhelig Arms
Penhelig Arms
#2 of 3 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Penmaenuchaf Hall
Penmaenuchaf Hall
#1 of 1 in Penmaenpool
Seabreeze Restaurant with Rooms
Seabreeze Restaurant with Rooms
#2 of 11 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Britannia Inn
Britannia Inn
#9 of 11 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
The Glengower
The Glengower
#5 of 36 in Aberystwyth
Awel y Mor
Awel y Mor
#7 of 11 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)

Been to Dovey Inn? Share your experiences!