“Birthday Lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles

Staincliffe Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Hartlepool
“Birthday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

I rang this hotel on the 19th November to enquire about their lunchtime menu as I wanted to take my Mam for lunch to celebrate her birthday. I had visited in the summer and had had a beautiful fresh crab salad and I wanted to know if it was still available on the menu. Unfortunately crab wasn't on the menu but to my surprise I was told the chef would order this in for us.
We have just returned and I must say lunch was beautiful the staff were excellent and although we did not see the chef I asked them to pass my compliments and thanks to him.
We will certainly be calling for lunch again A big thank you to all

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
hartlepool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

we had this hotel as a venue for our daughters wedding reception and I must say that the service from all of the staff was excellent and the food was excellent too. Everyone of our guests commented that they had had a lovely day and enjoyed the food too. Both of my daughters had a room for the night and they were both pleased with them. If I had to find fault with anything my only niggle was that disabled people had problems accessing toilet facilities.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chrishartlepool
Salhouse, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

Over the last four of five years I have stayed at the Staincliffe for weeks on end the staff are always helpful and friendly The rooms are a little tired but clean and the beds are comfortable
The breakfast is always good, The bar food is excellent the restaurant very good but the grill room is the best American style diner I have visited in the UK, value for money and well cooked steaks at very good prices
I have stayed in the gothic room (turret room) there is a story attached the that room but its not my place to elaborate :)
Always my first choice when visiting Hartlipool

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank bobbyb82
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed one night in the Turret room at the Staincliffe Hotel and made the following observations:

Good:
Quirky - it certainly has character!
Staff - very friendly and helpful.
Food - very good 'full English Breakfast'
Interiors in the public areas - the main hall and restaurant are nicely decorated in a contemporary style
Car parking - free and easy to park right outside
Location - sea view

Not so good:
Unfortunately it soon because obvious that the photos of the bedroom on the website were somewhat misleading. The room was described as a 'Suite with Veranda' and the sign outside the hotel states they have 'executive rooms and suites'. I'm afraid the Turret room just simply is not a suite and if that is what they call a veranda...?? Rusty railings, paint peeling off and a couple of sad looking pot plants....

The decor was bright red - on closer inspection, this was not any kind of designer/boutique furniture, but instead, it appeared as if they have taken some cheap pine furniture and painted it black and red, and then created a wall backdrop to the bed out of MDF...again, painted red. The wallpaper was peeling off, there was a dent in the wall behind the door, the bath had a hole in it which had been filled in....badly...the windows didn't look like they had ever been cleaned. etc etc I'm afraid the whole room just made me think of an episode of 'Changing Rooms' with Laurence Llewelyn Bowen..... I can see what they have tried to do with the room but unfortunately it just looked really tacky and cheap.

The website says the room has a kingsize bed, but I highly doubt that is a kingsize bed. It felt like we were sleeping on a bouncy castle, the mattress was so soft and it was more like a standard double size.

I'm not sure why on earth this is described as a suite? Don't you need a living room area as well as a bedroom to qualify as a suite?

Obviously I can't speak for the other rooms, which may have been more recently refurbished but if anyone is planning to book a room there, I would give the 'Suite with Veranda' a miss :-(

Unfortunately I think we would have had a better room if we had stayed in a travel lodge at a much cheaper rate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Joodle

Travelers are raving about these Hartlepool hotels

West Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stayed May 2013 - Having read some of the horror stories that were reviews I was a bit anxious about staying here but a friend's party was being held here so I thought it would be easier. I rang beforehand and made sure we didn't get the dark gothic room and chose the room I wanted by looking at pics on their website. We had the pale blue seaside room at the front with two massive windows overlooking the sea. The room was massive and lovely and clean and felt very coastal. We didn't have any complaints at all. The staff were lovely and the food was nice and sitting on the benches out front with a drink in the sunshine was a lovely experience. I would stay here again no problem.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Arriving at 10.30 in the evening we were (eventually) greeted by a startled looking receptionist ‘oh, I wasn’t expecting you’. We had booked, and anyway what on earth would two people damp from the rain and laden with luggage be doing in the reception of a hotel if not looking to check in? Certainly, that possibility had not occurred to her as she observed us through the glass door from the Canoe Bar.

According to the receptionist, the 'internet is all around, but especially strong in the bar'. Bless her - I think she's confused with the ghost of a former owner. If you want the web, its very much a 3G affair here.

Room 31, after depositing bags and checking the bed for springiness (very), the shower for dribbliness (at best a trickle) and the curtains for closeability (they met in the middle, but unfortunately only if you were prepared to accept a gap at each edge) I settled down for the night, listening for, but hoping not to hear the ghost of Basil pacing the corridors. I prayed that the damp on the wall would not lead to any lasting health damage.

I need not have worried, Basil (in female form) serves the breakfast. One guest asked for a poached egg, and was told that he had ordered ‘a full English’ and ‘chef has already started it’ so a change at this late stage in the (no doubt precision) cooking phase was out of the question. With the main dining area full, another hapless guest took a seat in a part of the dining room reserved for who knows what, only to be ordered to move – ‘but where?’ he pleaded. Basil gave in, but just long enough for him to be seated with his Frosties before another table became vacant. Basil, seeing her chance snatched the bowl from under his nose and plonked it on the now vacant table ‘you can’t sit there, no butter you see’ was offered no doubt part in explanation and part apology.

If you do choose the ’Stainview’ (as we came to call it) then a sense of humour is something you should definitely pack, but for our trusty receptionist one thing is true ‘its a good breakfast’ she soothed – and it was.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Longwayabout
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Went in July for afternoon tea.Setting is great, right on sea front, if you go ask for a table in the window overlooking the lawn then onto the sea. Afternoon tea was great value, good selection of sandwiches scones etc. Cannot fault the place, they seem to be really trying.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family