“An absolutely appalling experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Staincliffe Hotel

Staincliffe Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Hartlepool
“An absolutely appalling experience”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Having booked a room on the hotel's website at the end of January, we arrived at the hotel last Sunday evening in time to get changed for a friend's wedding party. We had decided to stay overnight so that we could spend an evening with our friends and my husband's colleagues.
Astonishingly, when we arrived, there was no-one on the front desk so we were forced to find a member of staff so we could check in. We waited for at least five minutes for someone to turned up. The person who did turn up was the hotel's manager, Angela Jukes. She was obviously hassled and she gave the impression that our arrival was bit of a nuisance - she was rude and dismissive. I also noticed her being very rude to another guest who was trying to pay for his room - she was insisting on full payment in advance. She couldn't find our booking and promptly advised us that the hotel was fully booked. We were absolutely stunned. Angela gave me her contact details - strangely this comprised of her personal email address (why?) and the hotel fax number. She promised to get back to us. She didn't of course and has not responded to my subsequent emails. I just tried to call her at the hotel. I was kept waiting for several minutes and then someone hung the telephone up. I have absolutely no idea why people who work in the service industry believe they can get away with such shoddy service. The fact that our room was unavailable caused us considerable inconvenience and seriously compromised our enjoyment of our friend's wedding. It also ruined our plans for the following day as we had no choice but to return home that evening. To add insult to injury I received an automated email on Tuesday requesting a customer review. Well, here is your review Angela Jukes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank Kate B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Stokesley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had booked a room well in advance of my colleagues wedding that was being held at the hotel. We booked through the hotel's website. We had received confirmation by email with a booking reference. We booked in January for the wedding on the bank holiday weekend in May. We walked into the hotel expecting to be greeted warmly but were told that the hotel was overbooked and that there was no room for us. The person who dealt with us was very rude and did not try to make amends at all. This totally ruined what should have been a happy experience attending a friends wedding! A terrible experience that caused us to change our plans at the last minute.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Robert B

Travelers are raving about these Hartlepool hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I was put into this hotel by my company while working at the Seal Sands terminal. It is only a 10 minute drive away so quite handy. Hartelpool is only 5 minutes up the road so an ideal base for both areas.
When they booked the room they were told it was the last one (this seems to be the story quite often). I had the gothic turret room on the top floor. It has it's own private staircase and separate bathroom. When I arrived the wind was blowing off the sea and it was very cold outside. The room was lovely and warm with a big radiator under the mirror. It is decorated everywhere in red to give it that gothic feel. It has to be the best room for seaviews.
When I entered the bathroom it was considreably colder than my room. There is only a towel radiator to heat the room which is pretty inadequate as the room is quite large. The shower has to be balanced on a couple of screws to stand under it and the taps took some fiddling about with to get a good temperature.
Because I was staying three nights I was able to try both restaurants and the bar. The fine dining restaurant is great and I had a table at the front looking out to see. There's a good choice and I had no complaints about the food. The canoe bar is the place to eat if you wish to just sit, read the paper and watch TV. I tried the fish and chips as recommended from a previous review and they were superb.
Third night I tried the grill. You can sit and watch the sea or watch the chef cook your steak. I had surf and turf with 2 large prawns on a steak. It was not the best steak I've ever had, but not the worst either and I did enjoy it. The Jack Daniels sauce was exquisite. I had donuts with a dark chocolate and amaretto sauce for dessert which was also very good. The donuts did taste as though they had been frozen though. Of the three I preferred the canoe bar just because you could relax and had something to keep you occupied.
Breakfast next day consisted of buffet cereals, juice etc. and a cooked option. I did not enjoy the full English as it tasted too salty so I just had poached eggs on toast the next couple of days.
I felt the overall experience was ok. Free Wifi, courteous staff, a good choice of eats, great seaviews but a very cold bathroom.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have seaviews. The turret room has the best views, but the bathrrom is cold when...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank damasinnas
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

There are two restaurants in this hotel. In both the staff are enthusiastic and cheerful, but hopelessly untrained. The 'fine dining' room is ok, if you're not anticipating efficiency. At least the food there has some merit. I agree with other reviewers about 'the grill' though. Only one word...awful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Diane R
Hartlepool
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Would have loved to have spent my Birthday evening trying the food here but when I phoned with a query was told by the receptionist to phone back later as she was busy ....of course I never made the call, someone else was happy to give me their attention immediately .....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank SHB66
Marske-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Visited this hotel for lunch on the 9th March. The entrance was blocked by cones - probably as the tiles on the steps were chipped and loose. We ordered some lattes to be told the coffee machine was broken and would a cup of nescafe do instead! We sat in the canoe bar and ordered lunch. I had a burger with smoked cheese. It was inedible as the meat was actually raw when it arrived. Made do with a hugh bowl of chips instead, which were surprisingly nice. the rest of the meals, roast beef sandwich, scampi and tuna melt were good.
Won't be going back in a hurry!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Cammymammy
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Well what can I say,we booked into the hotel for the Valentine's meal and stay over WOW !.The hotels reviews weren't to be desired! However" Dont take any notice" of some of the reviews.
The meal for 3 courses,free bottle of wine £35 for 2 people also a stay over for £25pp..How could we turn this down? We checked in greeted by the most friendly staff ever, so polite and appreciative..
Our room was beautiful so clean,warm and well stocked of toiletries.The bed was the comfiest ever :) it made getting up and checking out even harder!..
We went to the bar for a few drinks to again enjoy the pleasurable company of the staff until our table booking for the restaurant was available.
We booked in for the grill..well the food was out of this world,cooked to perfection and really loads of it..a massive thank you to the chef "as was dieting at this time"and probably gained my loss again in 1 meal haha...
A totally enjoyable Valentine's weekend,thanks to all the staff in the hotel..
A big fat recommendation you have to try it yourself,booked in again for mothers day meals can't wait...thanks again to The New Staincliffe & all staff *****

• Stayed February 2013