“Very Disappointing!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Very Disappointing!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

After hearing that the Old West Quay were now doing Sunday carvery lunches we decided to call down and try it out. The pub itself is nicely decorated and is in a great position overlooking Hartlepool marina and the staff that served us, both the barmaid and the carvery server were absolutely lovely, friendly and welcoming, but unfortunately that's where our experience took a turn for the worse.
The food was, in a word bland. Frozen ready made Yorkshire puddings and Aunt Bessie roast potatoes, the veg looked great, carrots, red cabbage, savoy cabbage and garden peas and it all seemed to be fresh, unfortunately it tasted of nothing and I'm pretty sure the gravy hadn't even seen a drop of meat juice, never mind it containing any. We received various vouchers whilst we were there giving us amongst other things, 50% of our next food bill, but if today was anything to go by, they can keep it.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Thegingergene

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Never Again On A Wednesday”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We should have known that after reading the very enticing menu on the website the dishes we saw on walking in were not what we expected! We should not have stayed, it didn't look at all appetising sitting there under the lights, a thin dry skin formed on top of the first dish which purported to be beef chilli, but it was getting late and we were hungry.
The 'beef chilli' was straight out of the packet, and if it wasn't the 'chef' that created it had gone to great lengths to make it appear and taste as if it had. It had very little beef and no kidney beans in sight. The spicy chicken 'great as a filling for flour tortilla wrap' was so wet it was impossible to wrap it in anything. The wraps were dry and snapped instead of folding. 'Pork frankfurters naturally smoked over beach wood' were as to be expected, larger versions of those out of a tin which I fed my poor children on days gone by when times were harder than today.
The young man that came to remove our plates said 'you didn't like it?' with a shrug that suggested that was regular occurrence, he didn't wait for a reply.
What a shame, the place is clean, spacious and sits within our marvellous marina. I know it's cheap but cheerful or tasty it isn't. Surely a decent chilli is one of the easiest things to make, the place should have been bouncing.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank suway982date
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Fine Fayre for all the family”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

When we take the grandchildren for a meal there is a good children's menu and a very varied menu for adults. Usually the children are finished their meal and off playing leaving the grown ups to enjoy their food.
The only niggle I have is that even though we are supposed to look after our own children I think that there should be at least one member of staff giving the occasional look around the area as the bigger kids run a bit wild.

Visited November 2012
hartlepool uk
“Cold food”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just been for sunday lunch with our 4yr old daughter. Freindly staff clean nice surroundings. Food served buffet style i noticed the plates were just warm at the buffet. A choice of 3 meats ie gammon. Turkey. Beef. All looked well presented inc the veg. I imediately returned to my table as did my mrs and daughter we tucked in and looked at each other . I remarked the meat is cold. My mrs said the veg is just warm. She said i dont like yorkshire pudding would you like it i then took it from her plate being careful incase it was hot . No chance . Half way through the meal a waiter asked if everything was ok? I said it looks nice but ive had warmer salads. We were offered another meal but declined the offer a dissapointing sunday lunch .

Tadcaster
“Brewers Fayre”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The one evening meal was what you expect to find in a pub belonging to a large brewers' chain. The food I had was exactly the same as I've eaten elsewhere and was a rather poor attempt at a Caesar salad. Breakfasts though are excellent with items outside the buffet menu quickly provided. £8.50 is about average I think for breakfast these days.

Visited September 2012