“Went in hungry , came out starving”
Review of Golden Lion

Golden Lion
Ranked #51 of 226 Restaurants in Hartlepool
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Golden Lion has the largest thatched roof in the north of England with working open coal fires and bespoke oak furniture. We pride ourselves with friendly staff and fresh food cooked on site by our talented chefs, no ready made meals here! Independantly owned by a family from the town we are a freehold business stocking real ale, an extensive single malt collection and fine wines as well as your usual draught products. We are open from 9am Monday to Saturday serving breakfast, lunch and dinner then from 9am Sundays serving breakfast till 11.30am and our traditional roasts 12 til 6pm. (Some might say we serve the best coffee in the town, or even the north east!)The current climate hasn't seemed to effect us as we are getting busier week by week from opening in 2005. It is great to see new and old faces each day! In 2014 we opened The Lion's Den on the first floor, our stylish wedding and event venue. Speak to our event coordinators for more details!
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Ordered prawns (3) and chicken (could have been pigeon the size of it) with mashed potato ( 1 spoonful ) with a plate full of sauce and 3 chive leaves . Thought some veg might come with it but I was wrong . Paid £12 95 for this , never again.

G0ldenLi0n, Manager at Golden Lion, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

The Chicken and King Prawns dish is one of the most popular meals on our menu. This is how it is advertised,
Chicken & King Prawns £12.25
with chive mash and a creamy garlic and spring onion sauce
We normally only get praise for this dish, you get a good dollop of mashed potato with it and customers always say they are satisfied when they are finished. I'm suprised you assumed it came with vegetables as well as the mashed potato, as it doesn't state that anywhere on the menu and certainly isn't necessary. If a customer would prefer vegetables or chips we can swap the mash for those at the time of ordering, or if you are really hungry you can order additional side dishes.

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I visited the pub with some family members for a pre Christmas meal, the pub was very busy with lots of people eating we were served straight away by a very friendly bar maid , there are plenty of different ales and lagers on offer and I had a delicious pint of Hobgoblin.
When the food came it did not disappoint , every one of us was delighted with our meals.This really is a gastro pub , I have visited other pubs in the area for food but the Golden Lion is head and shoulders above them and I cant wait for my next visit.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Works Xmas do.. We pre ordered our meals as were a large party. The food came out swiftly and the staff looked after us really well. I had the game terrine which was lovely then the stuffed chicken with crab mousse. We got plenty of vegetables to accompany our meals. We all had a brilliant night and would definitely go back for our Xmas party next year.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Went here for quiz night with my family and i must say i am very surprised about how downhill this place has gone. upon ordering my family and my own first drinks there was a gentleman before me being served and before giving him his change, unnoticed by myself the barman started to serve me and my partner, the gentleman did ask for his change and the barman practically threw it at him and said "[--] prick could have waited" loud and clear so others heard which shocked us. Then when the quiz had started the quiz master couldn't read the questions right some of the customers were telling him how things were said you would think they would have someone do it who can actually read, and to top it of half the questions they marked wrong on our quiz were right i know this because i checked them on the internet and last time i checked loop and hoop were the same thing but he was right and i was wrong..... To top it off i was accused of cheating because i was seen using my phone when no where it was mentioned that i couldn't normally i wouldn't have minded but they couldn't prove i was using it for answers at that time. Upon correcting them on my correct answers i was given a load of abuse so me and my family left and most certainly will not be returning. a shame a really decent pub has gone so badly wrong.....

G0ldenLi0n, General Manager at Golden Lion, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

I find it unbelieveable that in this day and age people still single out people with disabilities. Our quiz master really enjoys doing the quiz, and quite openly explains his disability to our customers. On this occasion a customer wrote obscenities about our quiz master on the quiz answer sheet which he then read when marking the quiz, I think it may have been this person writing this review. That is a form of high school bullying in my book. I cant confirm wether any other part of this review is true but i know our quiz master had to go over to a team and ask them to stop using their phones due to other customer complaints. They then wrote notes undermining and abusing our quiz master, which he then read and confronted them about. Our quiz is for fun, it costs £1 per team and you win a few beer chits and a spot prize of a bottle of wine. All our other quiz participants enjoy it for what it is, fun!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Went today for Sunday lunch. My wife ordered Turkey which was extremely fatty. Although we were never asked during our meal whether all was ok, we were when our plates were collected. Having left most of the turkey, my wife pointed out that the turkey was fatty. Waitress replied "yes there have been quite a few complaints, it'll be sorted for next week" (!)

No offer of a reduction or apology.

And a minor point, additional roast potatoes on the menu £2, but you actually get charged £2.50

Not up to its usual high standards today.

3  Thank t1gger37