“Amazing wedding venue”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Hartlepool
Thornaby, England
“Amazing wedding venue”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have attended a wedding this week here and the venue is beautiful. We stayed the night before, as did a number of the wedding party. The receptionist was lovely and we were very impressed with all of our rooms. Slight problem was the shower. It trickled which led to my boyfriend having to pop down the corridor to use another guests room. We didn't bother mentioning it but im sure the staff would have been very accommodating! We used the grand central restaurant (formerly parmos). Great food and very reasonably priced!!

The wedding was amazing. The ballroom is stunning and Kathleen (wedding coordinator/manager) was very friendly and organised. Everyone complimented the wedding meal. I can imagine that those guests who are not part of the wedding party may be put off by the noise. It was fairly noisy the night before our wedding (due to another wedding), however it was stopped by 11 so went to bed fine.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel M, General Manager at Best Western Grand Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Calirabelle85, thank you for your postive review and i am happy that you enjoyed the wedding, Kind Regards Craig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Have been to the Grand Hotel, Hartlepool, twice in the last three months. On both occasions the staff were extremely helpful and were definitely not fazed by the arrival of the many wedding guests who needed a multitude of rooms. The wedding was beautiful, and my son, the Best man was guided through the reception by a very efficient wedding planner. All guests that we have spoken to have praised the standard of service, drink prices and food, as a number of our party sampled the Italian restaurant, the Red Snapper was delicious. The only problem was that we would have liked to have had a time for us all to have a chat and catch up before the wedding, and we were slightly deafened by the noise from the group in the bar area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Tripadvisor member, thank you for your positive review, I am glad that you continue to use the hotel and we look forward to seeing you again, Kind regards Craig
Seaham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed here on a Saturday night. The welcome at reception was warm, efficient & friendly and we were pleased with our room - tastefully furnished & decorated, with amply stocked tea & coffee-making facilities. A downside was the very dim lighting ( from 4 lamps ) - the only place to comfortably read was the bathroom!
My tip would be to ask for a 3rd floor room if staying at the weekend as it is a popular venue for weddings & other functions and I feel lower floor guests could be bothered by disco noise.
We had a comfortable night's sleep and there was plenty of hot water for showering.
The service at breakfast was disappointing - the waiting staff didn't circulate at all & after waiting for almost 15 minutes for someone to take our coffee order I almost had to rugby tackle one. Very polite however. Food is self service, always rather like school dinners. We prefer proper waiter service, though I suppose this incurs extra cost.
However, all in all a pleasant stay and we would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Third floor worked for us.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Doug_T188, Tahnk you for your review, i am sorry that breakfast was not a great experince but from customer feedback we can hopefully deliver a better product, Kind Reagrds Craig
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed here for a wedding and I can not speak highly enough of the staff or the hotel. Everyone is so friendly and genuinely go out of there way to help you. Had a drink with the staff after just to say thanks as they were all brilliant. So thanks Sophie, Calum, Eddy (please dont kill me), Victor and Dave!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ryanB, thank you for your review and we wish to see you again in the near future, I will pass your comments on to the staff Kind Regards Craig
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I could not believe the price that is offered to have your wedding, wedding breakfast and evening celebration at this hotel. It was the best value for money I have come across. The venue is excellent, the decor of the ballroom is something to be seen. Overall a very nice Hotel with helpfull staff. Fantastic value for money

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Richard K, thank you for your review and and am happy that you enjoyed the wedding, Kind Regards Craig
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

If you like hotels which ooze history from every squeaky floorboard then this one fits the bill. From the grand façade to the spacious entrance lobby and wide staircase to the huge stain glass window and large hallways, this is a hotel that retains a lot of it's original features.
I did some checking on google streetview to make sure I would find the car park which is located on the opposite side of the road. There are only a few spaces available, but the council car park next door to the hotel is available for use if you can be out before 8am.
The reception staff were friendly and helpful and it made a change to have a traditional key to get into my room rather than a plastic card. The room itself was high as it was wide with a tall window.
When I tried the TV I found the reception was terrible and then discovered the aerial was disconnected from the booster unit. The picture improved considerably when re-connected. I tried to call reception to ask for the Wi-Fi key, but discovered the phone did not work.
The only other problem I had with the room was the poor performance of the shower probably due to the a aging plumbing system.
I had dinner in the basement restaurant which has plenty of choice and was very good value. I even went back the second night, however, the happy hour deals from 5 to 7pm meant the place was very busy and I had to wait for a table.
Breakfast is excellent with a choice of several cooked options with waiter service alongside the buffet selections.
Even though I had some problems with the room, the staff and general ambience made up for this and I would be happy to stay again if in Hartlepool.

Room Tip: Get one at the front to avoid overlooking the back of the hotel and council offices.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Damassinnas, , thank you for your review and we wish to see you again in the near future, Kind Regards Craig
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Great stay!, when arriving after a long journey I couldn't wait to get my head down, and a quick check in system that was very welcoming was just what I needed, rooms where very modern and hygiene was at a very good standard, The restaurant that was on the bottom floor of the hotel was fantastic, just like the service!, the hotel bar attracted a very welcoming crowd and the atmosphere was great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jcool85, thank you for your review and we wish to see you again in the near future, Kind Regards Craig