“Fantastic Atmosphere!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Following a miserable afternoon walking (due to the outstanding British weather) - My wife and I were given a warm welcome into the pub. After we were seated our orders were taken and drinks followed promptly. Soon after our initial drinks we had our food order taken and the food arrived in a timely manner. I had a delicious Prawn Tempura starter and a fantastic fish and chips for my main. Great time all around!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Arrived to find a warm general atmosphere but thought we received a cold welcome. Drinks were being passed all around us to a slightly chaotic table waiting service.
We were shown to our table in broken English ( this seems to be the norm nowadays), the actual table was a relic from the original pub, as we all got a leg each!
There was no steak on the menu or Special which I thought was strange, and had been recommended the Rib Eye by a previous customer so was disappointed.
The food was fairly good however, very good for a pub but in this case very expensive, i.e. £12 for a burger.
I must mention the waiter, who apparently is normally the chef, who also turned out to be Turkish, was an absolute Star - nothing was too much trouble and very friendly especially as he was under obvious pressure.
Doubt if we will return again for dinner, unless reviews improve or prices become more realistic. Worth a try for lunch in the Summer.

2  Thank Gasman900
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Have been here a few times good food , varied menu , fantastic fish and chips, however a bit overpriced, Local source food and cask ale

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Really did not want to have anything bad to say on Tripadvisor, would have preferred a discrete comment to owner on pubs own website but website does not allow this, so---

Called in at midday today pub was cold, management was nice and welcoming, But maintenance man was behind bar, then health and safety turned up, then delivery man came.

Sandwich order took 45mins to arrive--sandwich costs are at high level but presentation is awful-sausage and onion sandwich (£5.95) was all over the plate (not in the bread)-my wife had a cheese sandwich, without onion, but expected the advertised chutney-when this was mentioned to the Hungarian waitress, she opened the sandwich with her fingers to find out what we were talking about!!!!

Lovely pub, deserves to succeed but Mr Owner-train your staff properly and look at how to present a humble sandwich--suggest a quick trip to The Carpenters Arms in Hadlow may help in the presentation department.

Will probably come back-because this is a nice place, but needs a perk up!

Sorry, to the owners, I do not usually say anything nasty on Tripadvisor.

1  Thank GerryKent
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Did a stop from on my way from Hastings to London and was not disappointed! The atmosphere in the pub was excellent and the manager as well as the staff were very friendly and extremely efficient, even though the pub was extremely busy.
I ordered a large glass of house red which was very reasonably priced and the crispy sea bass with crushed new potatoes and green beans. The food arrived in very little time and it looked very appetising and beautifully laid on the plate. It was delicious together with the caper butter surrounding the sea bass!For desert I ordered the ginger sticky toffee pudding which was lovely! I highly recommend this pub if you are in the area as its not only friendly but it serves superb food!