“Usually pretty good”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“Usually pretty good”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I like Cafe Rouge. We've been several times for lunch and they have cheerful waitstaff, excellent lattes and (usually) good food. I've never had to wait for a table, service is quick and the atmosphere congenial.

The only disappointment was last weekend, when I had the salmon fish cakes. They seemed to be mixed fresh and canned salmon, along with a potato filler. It's still on our go-to list, I just won't order fish again.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Jeannehc

Bromley, United Kingdom
“Gone downhill, fast!”
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

I have been to this Cafe Rouge several times and, until now, have not had reason to complain. However, I went there on a Sunday afternoon with my wife, son & daughter for a coffee and, perhaps, a cake.

We sat down, the waiter gave us menus then we waited...and waited...and waited, but nothing happened. A couple came in and sat nearby. They waited...and waited...and waited and eventually gave up and went. When they told the waiter why, he just gave a Gallic shrug and said goodbye.

Eventually, our order was taken and then we waited...and waited...and waited and eventually our coffees arrived. My son had a piece of cake but I did not order a cake as the choice was so limited and they all looked a bit stale. It said 'patisserie' on the window but that was a misnomer.

I won't be going there again.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Chris F
Calahonda, Spain
“Great for kind of free with Tesco vouchers !”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My self and my friend and our 3 lively children had lunch in there today ! food nice and the waitress saw the tot's were going create so brought colouring straight away! In total our bill was just £10 in using the Tesco vouchers . Not bad for a blue Monday in Jan .... Restaurant has a good vibe , staff all friendly

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank annamarie62
“Disappointed unplanned visit”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

I will keep it brief.
1) toilets smell of sewage and need a good clean
2) slow service (20 mins for a cup of tea is bad service in my opinion)
3) burnt croissant (tasted vile) served in a ridiculous brown box, a plate would of been far more sensible!
4) generally has the ambience of a morgue, with the miserable staff adding to the general miserable experience!
Wouldn't waste your money !

1 Thank Pinotbaby83
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“Good choice for a casual lunch”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We eat at the Café Rouge in Sevenoaks from time to time - it is a particularly good choice when it is raining as it is right next to Bligh's car park. I was surprised to find that they have a good kids menu (not just the usual rubbish) and that they provide paper, crayons and stickers to keep them entertained.

The food is consistently good but not inspiring - I wouldn't go for a special occasion but we always enjoy our meals when we pop in for a casual lunch. The service is a little patchy at times, but always friendly and reasonably efficient. It's a nice place to meet for a meal and has a good selection of French dishes - I think it definitely compares favourably to the Italian chains that populate the town.

• Visited November 2013