“Don't even think about it.”

The Royal Oak Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sevenoaks
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I can think of nothing constructive to say about this place. Anyone involved in this business clearly does not want to do anything about it, so it is best just to leave it to them and future unfortunate travelers. It is the saddest place I have had to stay in and I will never go there again but I will warn people about it. I had to stay in the annex which has so many points of failure on so many levels that you are in a state of suspended disbelief for the first few minutes, this sensation does not leave you for the duration of your stay. The receptionist on duty was pleasant and helpful and along with the other shell-shocked guests we all seemed to be trying to "just get through it". If you have to stay: Do not stay in the annex, do not have the breakfast but do take your own linen. Good luck.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brandon M

Reviewed September 17, 2009

Rude, arrogant staff. Dirty bed bug infested rooms. Poor food, in fact for the first time ever I can't think of 1 positive thing to say about this dump? It's probably better than sleeping on a park bench but only just (how's that/)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank ontheroadagain1966
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Before travelling I had read some rather mixed reviews of this hotel, but due to a lack of options within the corporate budget decided to brave it.

How glad I was when I arrived at a charming country hotel with classic looks, ample parking and friendly reception staff. I could see form the reception that the bar had been very well updated and provided a modern yet relaxing atmosphere, and the old fashioned 'typically english' reception set my mind at ease. Why I asked myself, had people said such terrible things about this place?

Well, I soon found out.

In was directed to the stairs up to my room nd as soon as I entered the stairwell started to worry. Dark, dingy and dirty are a reasonably apt description of what I found as the stairs creaked, groaned an even bent under my feet. I somehow avoided falling through the stairs and arrived at my room, only to find what loked suspiciously like a 'caretaker' name plate cunningly painted over on the door.

The room itself...if it wasn't for the fact that it's location in the eaves of the building effectively reduced it's size by a third, the general lack of cleanliness and finishing and the horrible lighting...well...it might then have been fit for human use.

Still, in true British style I persevered with a stiff upper lip and an indominatable will. With the help of a good book, I banished my reservations from my mind and settled in for the evening. Unfortunately, the book didn't last all that long. I then found myself trying to watch the TV in the room...I say trying, because there were very few channels available, but having settled on a generic home renovation show, I decided to order room service.

At last! A saving grace I thought as I read the menu. Settling on an aberdeen angus double beef burger with fresh chips and coleslaw washed down with a cold pint of lager for a reasonable £9.95, I placed my order, and was impressed by the customer service received. Barely 20 minutes later there was a knock at my door and am gentleman opassing me a tray of food and roughly 3/4 a pint of lager where he had spilled the remainder bringing it up the stairs.

I washelpfully told that room service would return in around 30 minutes to pick up my used dishes etc and that if I left the tray outside my door it would be taken back.

The odours coming from the tray were wonderful, truly a treat. It's just a shame that when I lifted off the cover, my wonderful burger turned out to be a quarter punder cut in to two pieces and shoved in a ciabata roll with some admittedly very tasty chips (coleslaw was nowhere in sight).

Still, siff upper lip wrapped around the bun, I soldiered on and awoke the next morning to a shower suitable only for those of a height less that 5 feet (the soping eves intrude ont he shower space), and my dirty dishes outside of the door.

All could have been rescued by a slap up breakfasdt, and as I enterwed the modern stylishly appointed restaurant my hopes soared...here, at last, the Royal Oak would redeem itself. How wrong could I have been? I ordered a full english breakfast, got 2 slices of toast, undercooked mushrooms, 2 rashers of bacon, one lonely poor quality sausage and a curious white lump (which later turned out to be a vinegar soaked poached egg which was just too acidic to eat).

All in all, a very disappointing stay, and when I return to our sevenoaks office I shall most definately stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank pawperso
Royaloakhotel5, Manager at The Royal Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2009

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay.

I would very much like to discuss your stay with you, if you could contact myself that would be greatly appreciated.

Reviewed August 31, 2009

Was travelling to Maidstone, stopped here on the way. Very nice & smiling receptionist showed me few rooms out of which I could choose one. Room was not very big, but still nice. I had some snacks at the bar, had a little chat with singing bartender.

Overall it's a nice small hotel, that needs some renovations. Lovely & helpfull staff.
I will stay here again for sure.

To be honest I wasn't expecting anything good, after reading all comments.
Maybe we all are talking about two completely different hotels.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Royaloakhotel5, Manager at The Royal Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2009

Thankyou for your kind comments, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Oak.

Reviewed August 30, 2009

If you must stay here, book a room only and eat elsewhere.

The dining room was very pleasant but AT 12.95 each the breakfast was
grossly over priced.
It was not even freshly cooked and served but was buffet style with the food
kept hot in warming dishes and the selection of fresh fruit was meagre.
We would have been far better off walking down the road to Wetherspoons and
availed ourselves of a cooked breakfast for £2.69 each with, say, another £1
each for coffee. And we could have had freshly fried eggs too!

On another note, although the public areas were smart, the bedroom was not.
Wardrobe etc might have been got from a house clearance store. Very poor
quality plastic lavatory cistern did not work and I had to flush the pan
manually.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank onlineharry

Thankyou for you comments, it is only with your feedback that we can improve our service.

I would very much appreciate a call to discuss this in more detail.

Reviewed August 15, 2009

The total lack of interest from the staff at reception should have been a warning to turn
around and leave. My dirty threadbare room was in some sort of annex, that looked like it was structuraly unsound and to cap it all off had bed bugs! Why Oh Why didn't I check it out on Tripadvisor beforehand. Couldn't believe it had ever gotten any positive reviews but I did find a 5 star review “Great Stay with Great service.” Amazingly the reviewer had stayed at numerous hotels owned by the same Brook Hotels group in a matter of days all over the country. Obviously the managment of this dump trying to save what they can. Environmental Health have been notified! Sleep in your car it's safer!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank LondonBusinessBoy
Royaloakhotel5, General Manager at The Royal Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2009

Thankyou for your comments, I would very much like to hear from you to discuss your stay in more detail.

I take these issues very seriously and would like to rectify any issues.

Reviewed August 14, 2009

Having booked a three night stay here and then reading the comments on line, I was apprehensive about my stay. How pleasantly surprised I was. On arriving the reception staff could not have been more helpful, even offering to carry our bags to our rooms which were, being singles, on the top floor. These rooms although small were very light and airy and exceptionally clean.
We dined at the hotel on Friday night and could not fault the food. Breakfast was just as good. As it was so central to Sevenoaks we dined out on Saturday and Sunday night but always came back to the hotel for a social evening drink.
This was an altogether relaxing few days and all credit goes to the staff and management.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Thankyou for your kind comments, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Oak Hotel

Phil Davies

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevenoaks
Donnington Manor Hotel
Days Inn Sevenoaks Clacket Lane
Best Western Plus Hever Hotel
6 mi away
Best Western Rose and Crown in Tonbridge

Been to The Royal Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!