“very nice & helpfull staf”

The Royal Oak Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sevenoaks
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Was travelling to Maidstone, stopped here on the way. Very nice & smiling receptionist showed me few rooms out of which I could choose one. Room was not very big, but still nice. I had some snacks at the bar, had a little chat with singing bartender.

Overall it's a nice small hotel, that needs some renovations. Lovely & helpfull staff.
I will stay here again for sure.

To be honest I wasn't expecting anything good, after reading all comments.
Maybe we all are talking about two completely different hotels.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Royaloakhotel5, Manager at The Royal Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2009

Thankyou for your kind comments, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Oak.

Reviewed August 30, 2009

If you must stay here, book a room only and eat elsewhere.

The dining room was very pleasant but AT 12.95 each the breakfast was
grossly over priced.
It was not even freshly cooked and served but was buffet style with the food
kept hot in warming dishes and the selection of fresh fruit was meagre.
We would have been far better off walking down the road to Wetherspoons and
availed ourselves of a cooked breakfast for £2.69 each with, say, another £1
each for coffee. And we could have had freshly fried eggs too!

On another note, although the public areas were smart, the bedroom was not.
Wardrobe etc might have been got from a house clearance store. Very poor
quality plastic lavatory cistern did not work and I had to flush the pan
manually.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank onlineharry

Thankyou for you comments, it is only with your feedback that we can improve our service.

I would very much appreciate a call to discuss this in more detail.

Reviewed August 15, 2009

The total lack of interest from the staff at reception should have been a warning to turn
around and leave. My dirty threadbare room was in some sort of annex, that looked like it was structuraly unsound and to cap it all off had bed bugs! Why Oh Why didn't I check it out on Tripadvisor beforehand. Couldn't believe it had ever gotten any positive reviews but I did find a 5 star review “Great Stay with Great service.” Amazingly the reviewer had stayed at numerous hotels owned by the same Brook Hotels group in a matter of days all over the country. Obviously the managment of this dump trying to save what they can. Environmental Health have been notified! Sleep in your car it's safer!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank LondonBusinessBoy
Royaloakhotel5, General Manager at The Royal Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2009

Thankyou for your comments, I would very much like to hear from you to discuss your stay in more detail.

I take these issues very seriously and would like to rectify any issues.

Reviewed August 14, 2009

Having booked a three night stay here and then reading the comments on line, I was apprehensive about my stay. How pleasantly surprised I was. On arriving the reception staff could not have been more helpful, even offering to carry our bags to our rooms which were, being singles, on the top floor. These rooms although small were very light and airy and exceptionally clean.
We dined at the hotel on Friday night and could not fault the food. Breakfast was just as good. As it was so central to Sevenoaks we dined out on Saturday and Sunday night but always came back to the hotel for a social evening drink.
This was an altogether relaxing few days and all credit goes to the staff and management.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Thankyou for your kind comments, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Oak Hotel

Reviewed July 16, 2009

I only stayed here a night in july with my wife,we needed somewhere quickly and this seemed to fit the bill.Excet when i looked on the hotel website they indicated some rooms available at £75 so when I sent an e mail to check this out I had a reply saying yes the rooms were available at £115!!.I decided to call the hotel direct and was told yes there were rooms availabe at £75 so i replied to their previous e mail quoting £40 more and to date i have not received any explanations why they wanted another £40.To be honest the place was worth £40 p night tops in my humble opinion and i do stay in lots of reasonably priced hotels and b/b,s so I can compare vale for money.
Yes this place is indeed in need of a major refurb.We were given a room where the hairdryer was broken badly and the hot water tap wasnt secured properly,the bathroom lino was coming up all over and the taps on the bathroom rad.were rusty and just awful.Fair enopugh when i asked for a change of room i was given one,and this should have been the room we originally booked but it wasnt ready on arrival so we were given the rubbishy room.The alternative was better but still needed a real uplift.I could not have stayed there more than one night. We declined to eat their and thank goodness for the breakfast next morning was pretty useless.How we are epxected to put up with this quality of hotel I just dont know and whoever goes around giving places like the Royal Oak a 3 star needs to rethink their grading system for if this had been a high street b/ b it would have received a very poor rating .Sorry Royal Oak,your staff were quite nice but thats about all i can say.Port in a storm if you need one but shop around there are better places if you have a bit more time to look.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kawasaki

Thankyou for your comments, I be grateful if you could contact me to discuss your stay in more detail.

Many Thanks

Reviewed June 25, 2009

We booked 2 rooms for the Fathers day weekend, drove for 3 hours to get there and arrived to find the completely out of his depth receptionist couldnt find my booking and had no knowledge of me at all. He couldn't find anyone else useful to help him out either so I got to drive all the way home again. Sadly I never got to experience the delights of this hotel, I have however been able to experience the absolutely deafening silence from their management who I have emailed twice with still no acknowledgement of my existence.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank Kavax
Reviewed June 7, 2009

What an experience! We'd booked,and had acknowleged by the hotel, a double/twin room in February, only to be told when we arrived that we had two single rooms - one of which was already occupied by someone else. Ordered daily papers - didn't arrive first day and had to remind, as they had not recorded. Iron ordered to press clothes for a function - didn't arrive. Restaurant OK with catering pack food. Two days were quite enough.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank thewheatley
Royaloakhotel5, Manager at The Royal Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2009

Please accept my sincere apologies for the service shortfalls you experienced during your stay. I can assure you that all the food at The Royal Oak is prepared fresh on the premises, with the exception of some desserts.

If you would care to contact myself at the hotel, I would be pleased to discuss your stay in more detail.

Regards
Phil Davies

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevenoaks
Donnington Manor Hotel
Days Inn Sevenoaks Clacket Lane
Best Western Plus Hever Hotel
6 mi away
Best Western Rose and Crown in Tonbridge

Been to The Royal Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!