“Horrendous mouldy and damp rooms”

The Royal Oak Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sevenoaks
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Myself and a colleague were booked into this hotel on a business trip and first impressions are that it is a lovely building with a well refurbished interior in the lobby and bar area.
Unfortunately the positives end there.
The rooms provided to us initially had a rotten smell to them (damp?) with many patches of mold on the ceilings. Wallpaper was peeling of the walls at every join, half of the taps weren't working (never gave it long enough to figure out whether it was hot or cold) and in one room, the interior window wouldn't close.
Upon complaining we were each offered alternative rooms which at least didn't appear to be suffering from obvious signs of damp or mold infestation but the other issues still remained.
We manged to find last minute accommodation at a nearby Premier Inn and left immediately.
Avoid at all costs

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank SteveDonUK

Reviewed April 1, 2014

The refurbished bar and dining room gives you the impression the rooms will be of equal quality. How wrong was we. We stayed for 1 night, reported there was no hot water, no heating and the room was tired and in desperate need of refurbishment. Cracked washbasin and tiles having grout missing, all great places for bacteria to breed.

I spoke with the hotel receptionist about the problems, however, he admitted it keep breaking...that'll be the boiler and walked off. I spoke with other staff who said the boilers been broken for months.

I respect that the hotel is going through a refurb program, however it may take a while as the workmen we seen there were in the bar drinking pints of beer.

I was offered £20 as a discount as I had used the room.. The receptionist had no comprehension of her dismissive manner.

Sometimes it would be good for a business to recognise how hard it is to obtain customers, and to retain them. Sadly, on this occasion, no-one really was at bothered.

After reading all the reviews, I know why ladders are left in the middle of the landing, its so the boiler can be constantly adjusted.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank AndyGR2013
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed here for 5 days over the Christmas period.
On arrival, check in was good, there is no lift so arriving from the USA, we did leave a couple of bags in the car! The Rooms are 'Quirky' which I actually like, and the mattresses although could be updated are not bad at all.

We were in a room where Internet connection was not possible and my husband needed it for work, they said we could move the next day, and when we came back after a full day out, they had moved us. They had taken all out bags, clothes from wardrobe , toiletries etc and so we walked into the new room without packing or unpacking and that was a real plus. We travel a lot and have never had such service.

We had tea. coffee, biscuits in the room. I aways give extra points to those who include a couple of biscuits. We had good heating, hot water (though I know others had a problem with this).

They did however lose our key and eventually they found one that worked and so we did not have a key for 3 days. This did make us smile.

Staff were super helpful and friendly but food at the Bar not so great and Breakfast totally overpriced but sitting at a table with white linen and KINKY cutlery is a must at least once.

It is about a 20 minute walk into the centre of Sevenoaks. Lots of super interesting shops there, library good to browse in and Leisure Centre has great pool and also a small Bouncy play area ( small children)where Grandparents like us can sit and sip and watch the tots. Knowle park is wonderful, there is also a theatre and cinema for rainy days.

As long as you do not try and compare it to Chain hotels, Boutique etc, it is not a bad place to stay.

Would I recommend it. Yes.

Room Tip: Think they are all more or less the same size , but different furniture, not you modern cheap stuff...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pingpong10
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in February for one night, whilst I was in Sevenoaks on business and all in all I'm glad it was only for one night. First impressions were fine, the reception area being bright and modern, with a nice bar area and a modern and comfortable restaurant just off the bar. From there things went downhill. My room was in the annexe, which looks like it was built in the 1970's and does not appear to have been updated since. My room was a double room that was quite small but adequate. However on closer inspection it was in a really poor state, especially the bathroom. Wallpaper and plaster were coming off the walls, the washbasin in the sink was cracked, the taps to the wash basin were so old most of the chrome had long since disappeared. Worst of all the flush on the toilet was at best intermittent. It took many attempts to get it to flush. The wooden panel on the bath was so old most of the varnish had peeled off. However I was only there for one night and despite these things the room appeared clean. That was until I got into bed. When I pulled the duvet back there was what appeared to be a stain of dried blood on the duvet cover. It being late I couldn't be bothered to complain and just turned the duvet over so I would not come into contact with it. The breakfast the following morning was fine and to be fair they do appear to be going through a refurb. The best thing about the hotel is its close proximity to the centre of Sevenoaks, a lovely little town and just 5 minutes walk away. Overall its in a great location and could be great once the refurbishment has been completed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Darrendazler
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed on 10 November 2013. The room was very tired, with one pane of glass broken and covered up with a piece of wood / cardboard. Sheets were clean and the bathroom functioned. There was hot water. The lights were not working in the room on arrival but this was fixed by the reception very quickly. The TV also worked.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AnthonyNF
Reviewed January 20, 2014

visiting Friends In sevenoaks and stayed at the royal oak hotel staff are very friendly and helpful,good food also tried some of the local beers they had to offer room was a nice size and clean looking forward to the room refurbished rooms on my next stay in summer.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Having read the varied reviews, I was a little cautious about staying here, but I was away with business.

There is a large car park at the rear and extra parking behind the annexe. The hotel reception is also to the rear of the main building. The staff at reception were friendly and helpful.

I asked for a quiet room and was given one in a top corner of the annexe which is separate from the main old building. The building seems quite tired, and the room was tired but clean. There were tea and coffee making facilities and two packets of biscuits, which was good.

Walls were a bit thin so I could hear a little noise from other rooms but I slept well. The free Wi-Fi was good.

The hotel is a short walk from the centre of Sevenoaks.

Breakfast was very good. In contrast with my room the restaurant is modern and nicely decorated and there were good quality ingredients in the cooked to order breakfast as well as cereals, fruit and bread / cold meat.

The big let-down was trying to have a shower in the morning. There shower was connected off the bath taps and as soon as the shower head was raised the water pressure dropped to a trickle that was barely warm. So I had to shower before a day of work in a pitiful trickle and made the best of it.

This is not good enough for any hotel. I mentioned it at reception but they seemed unconcerned and said the rooms were going to be refurbished in 2014. That makes no difference to staying there now.

Maybe after a refurb this hotel will be worth visiting but, given the shower issues, I can't recommend it now.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevenoaks
Donnington Manor Hotel
Days Inn Sevenoaks Clacket Lane
Best Western Plus Hever Hotel
6 mi away
Best Western Rose and Crown in Tonbridge

Been to The Royal Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!