“Well done Mercure”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Madeley
The Netherlands
“Well done Mercure”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was my third stay at this property, my first was over 20 years ago when the building was renovated and the stay very nice, my second stay about 5 years ago under the previous ownership when the rooms were tatty and in need of serious refurbishment, and lastly my stay last week which was very nice.

I stayed with my daughter and had booked 2 single rooms, however we wre upgraded to double rooms due to water issues in the main building. We were located in the East Wing and the double rooms were nicely renovated and the beds fairly comfortable in line with other Mercure hotels. We found the staff attentative and service good. Breakfasts were nicely cooked with a good selection available, and dinner on our first evening in the hotel bar was afequate for our needs.

Overall a good stay, thank you Mercure for resurrecting this lovely hotel following its recent decline under the previous owners. I will definitely stay here again on my next visit to Telford.

Room Tip: East wing rooms are well located.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
I am very pleased that your stay at Madeley Court was a positive experience. Thank you so much for your praise which is valued by us all at the hotel.
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Polish first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Visited last week usinga Groupopn voucher for afternoon tea.

What a fantastic building and setting. On being seated in the fantastic but very cold dining room we were given some delicious homemade mushroom soup but with no roll or butter which would have added to the enjoyment of the soup. We were then brought tea and a stand of sandwiches cake and scones with large dishes of jam and clotted cream.

The sandwiches were two small fingers crusts off of smoked salmon and cucumber each and two egg mayonnaise sandwiches each. No meat or cheese and no more offered. 8 mass produced bought scones what a shame 4 home made would have been so much better and 4 small small slices of lemon drizzle which we also think was bought and not made in house. There was no hot water in the ladies cloakroom either.

We enjoyed our tea, the hotel is in a superb setting, had we not purchased this on a Groupon discount voucher the fact that the cake etc was not homemade would have grated.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jo C
I am sorry that your afternoon tea experience was not as hoped for. Please do be assured that your comments have been noted for improvement.
Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Visited here today using a Groupon voucher for afternoon tea and was totally blown away by this beautiful historical building and the wonderful setting it is in, very secluded, and exclusive but with lovely walks to Ironbridge one way and Telford Town centre the other. Fantastic welcome especially from Rachel who waited at our table, cakes, sandwiches etc.. all very pleasant. Would definately come here again, I am advised that they allow dogs in certain rooms for overnight stays which I am very pleased about. Didnt see rooms but the view from the bar over the adjoining lake is stunning!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda B
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your afternoon tea at Madeley Court. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for making particular mention of Rachel.
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Our booking was made on the day of travel as we had received very bad news that our grandmother had been diagnosed with terminal cancer.(she has subsequently passed on).

I spoke to a very helpful receptionist who assisted us with room options and suggested that I complete the booking online as the rate was coming up better online and that she would take care of the details when she saw the booking come in.

We arrived at the hotel after midnight after a long drive with our 3, 10 and 12 year old, who we had requested an adjoining room for.

No receptionist on duty, waited for 10 minutes, walked around the lobby, bar area, lounge, rang the bell a few more times and eventually was spotted by a night staff member.

Check in went off ok until I enquired about the adjoining room and was summarily told one room was upstairs and one room was downstairs......for a 3, 10 and 12 year old. I was very disappointed and to add insult to injury I was asked for a holding deposit for "incidentals" when I had clearly stated we only needed the room to sleep in as we would be spending time exclusively with our grandmother in Wolverhampton

I returned to our car and called to speak to the duty manager (who appeared to be standing outside smoking a cigarette as opposed to attending to guests). She was just as unsympathetic and unhelpful.

I wrote to the duty manager the very next day as I had to then (at 1am in the morning) seek a new hotel with adjoining rooms with upset children and a disparing wife.

What did I get from the Manager ...initially defence, then a half hearted apology and a charge against my credit card for each room for 1 night.

In further correspondence received on the matter I was told that an error was made by the night staff and that the rooms were in fact adjoining........they still took the payment.

Make a booking at your peril; times must be hard when you cannot adhere to what was agreed telephonically, booked online and confirmed via telephone afterwards only to arrive to staff that do not know what is happening.

Room Tip: We wishing to get rooms.....did not quite get that far.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Doha_Resident_1
I am very sorry to hear of your experience. I know that time has lapsed since, however, if you would like to discuss directly, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed here as we were attending a 'Murder Mystery' event hosted by the hotel. The room rate may be have been a special for bed and breakfast at £68 tied in with that event but I dont think the rates vary that wildly from what we paid.

The standard double room we had was clean and the bed very comfortable. They are not alone in only having one bath towel available, why do hotels do this when they know they have two guests staying? The food in the evening was very pleasant and plentiful, and all the staff friendly and polite. The buffet breakfast was on a par with that you would find at a premier inn.

I would have rated as excellent but for three small things; the car park had failed to be cleared of ice, although the pathways had, and it made the walk across it very difficult especially, for ladies in high heels, when we entered our room it was freezing cold as no heating had been turned on ( electric heaters in the South wing, so it was only a flick of a switch ) but it did mean it was too cold to shower first as we would have liked and finally we were overcharged nearly £8 for a drinks order at the bar but offered no apology or a reason as to why we had been.

However none of these would prevent me from returning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay at Madeley Court. Your constructive comments on improvements are also appreciated.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

just visited this place for an afternoon tea while visiting the area,well worth the money as a treat if you are in the area it is an old court building so dont expect modern decor everywhere it cant be done,as others say food is great and the staff very pleasant and nice ,nice couple of hours on a snowy afternoon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your afternoon tea at Madeley Court Hotel.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The hotel is in a lovely setting, down a short lane through trees to the Hotel. The building is old but as you enter the interior is very tastly decorated which is both warming and inviting. The staff are very attentive and I was quickly booked into my double room. It was spacious, warm and very well maintained.
The restaurent served excellent food from a varied menu, including vegetarian. The service on the second night was a little slow but I put that down to the weather and a member of staff was missing.
Breakfast was plentiful and the waitress was very pleasant to all guests.
A truly enjoyable stay at a time when the weather was inclement to say the least.
I will be staying again when in the area on business. It would also be an ideal place to stay as a base for a short break in the area.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms numbers 29-32 are very quiet
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for your review and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Madeley Court.
Anthony Meadows
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madeley
Best Western Valley Hotel
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Buckatree Hall Hotel
Buckatree Hall Hotel
#3 of 21 in Telford

Been to Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel? Share your experiences!