“Excellent staff”

Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Madeley
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We recently stayed at the hotel and had a wondeful experience. We liked our room, the location of the hotel had beautiful surroundings. As we arrived the receptionist was very friendly, we went back to her a numerous times throughout our stay to arrange our taxi's, find out things to do and she helped us research some items online. The reception area seemed very busy a lot of the time with onsite guests and the phone appeared to ring constantly, she was juggling numerous things, but she still was patient and friendly with us and gave us her full attention, which made our exerpience feel more personal, which was lovely. I believe she was called Jenna, a credit to the hotel. We ate in the restaurant and found the food to be beautiful, again friendly service from the waitresses, very attentive, the staff all appear to be young but very pleasant. I felt there was a lack of management around during our stay, we never saw any of them. So credit to all the staff as its them that do this hotel justice. We would certainly visit again. Oustanding service.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
NMines, General Manager at Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Hello and thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay. We are very proud of our staff here at Madeley Court as they do go the extra mile for our customers.

I shall pass your comments onto the teams and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Noel Mines

Write a ReviewReviews (1,072)

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I took my sister to this hotel today for Afternoon Tea on a 'Living Social' voucher. We were very surprised to find such a beautiful hotel in such a stunning setting. Parts of the building date back to the 13th century. I didn't know we had such a gem so close to home.
We were shown into one of the several small sitting rooms which had very comfortable, traditional sofas and an open, roaring fire.
Amy our waitress brought us a very tasty home-made soup and a selection of sandwiches, including egg mayonnaise and smoked salmon. Followed by two fruit scones each with jam and clotted cream and a slice of moist lemon cake. We were served to as much tea or coffee we wanted and a glass of prosecco. It was a very civilised way of spending a Friday afternoon. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Hello and thank you for your comments regarding your visit to Madeley Court. I shall pass these onto the teams and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We decided to book a Groupon meal that was advertised after hearing positive reviews about Madeley Court. On arrival we were asked for our voucher code and told to take a seat in the bar and someone would come and get us when our table was ready. We had arrived early so we could have a drink so this worked out nicely for us. 30 minutes later we began to get a little concerned as no one had come to get us. I asked the bar man if someone would come and get us and he didn't know! I then asked the receptionist if our table was ready and she said "just go down there" I explained that we had been waiting in the bar where she told us to wait and no one had come to get us and we were 15 minutes later for our table. Again she asked what our voucher number was to which I told her she had already taken it and then she asked what time we were booked in for again. When I told here for the second time she just said go down there!! Go down there meant nothing to me as Madeley Court is a very big place. I returned to my parter in the bar and we both then asked the receptionist where "down there" was! In reply we just got a point and another down there. There was no apology for not coming to collect us and manners don't cost anything. This person was Madeley's front of house and made a very bad first impression. Rant over, the food was lovely and the service was very good. Madeley is a lovely old building and appart from one rude member of staff we'd be very happy to return.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Paulsavage1

Hello and thank you for your comments regarding your visits. I was very disappointed to here the way you were treated on your visit and please accept my apologies.

i would be very grateful if you could let me know the day you visited the hotel so i can speak to the staff member directly.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed here for one night on business in November 2012. I arrived late at night and found the car park some way from reception and not that well signed in the dark and rain, at least with hood up and wet glasses.

Reception was efficient and quick (as was checkout) but, again, my room was outside in another building, another wet, windy walk, not too far but not pleasant!

Down side here, the room was cold with only a small electric fire which was switched off and took some time to warm the room up. Can they not switch the heater on low when they know the room is to have a guest?

Apart from the cold, the room was very nice, large with a comfortable bed, flat screen TV, a desk and a nice bathroom.

I didn't have dinner or breakfast so can't comment on the food.

Overall - a lovely place in pretty grounds but take an umbrella!

I would stay here again if I could replicate the great deal I got.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Scubacol

Hello and thank you for your comments regarding your stay.

We do attempt to have the rooms heated before guests arrive but some of our rooms are on independent systems so can be tricky when we are unsure of all guests arrival times.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Drive down the country lane leading to the hotel and step back 400 years. Beautiful building and setting. Hotel full of old world charm. I loved the solid oak beams, the open fireplaces and the (original?) spiral staircase leading to the upper floors. Keep one hand free to hold on to the rope banister! Our double bedroom was a little on the small side but was also cosy and comfortable. Bathroom very clean and quite adequate despite there being only a mixer tap shower. A little surprised that bedroom walls were a little thin and you could hear the conversation of guests in an adjoining room.
We didn't sample either breakfast or evening meals at the hotel as we decided to eat out in local restaurants - highly recommend Frankie & Bennys in Telford Town Centre - but hotel did seem to lack atmosphere in the dining room. The bar area wasn't particularly appealing either and it was necessary to go in search of a member of staff to take our drinks order.
All in all we enjoyed our stay and in the space of 3 days we managed to visit Bridgnorth, Shrewsbury. Church Stretton, Ludlow and Ironbridge. I can also recommend taking a walk up the Wrekin if the weather is half decent - the view from the top is breathtaking.

Room Tip: Room 12 small but clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello and thank your for your positive comments regarding your stay at the hotel. I can confirm that the spiral staircase is original and has been in place for over 300 years (but is very safe).

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel should be fantastic - the setting and the historical buildings alone give the place an extremely atmospheric appeal - it's got the wow factor as you drive up to it. Unfortunately one or two things seem to be letting it down - or perhaps we were just little unlucky on the night we stayed.

After checking in we found our way to our room via the spiral staircase (watch your footing if in high heels ladies!). The room was in the main part of the hotel dating back to the 17th century and it was nicely furnished with a comfortable bed and an adequate en suite (nice powerful gravity fed shower over the bath). It's just a shame that the sound insulation in the rooms is so poor. Our room was above the reception office and we could hear the staff nattering to one another just about all through the night. My suggestion is avoid room 6 if possible!

After unpacking we made our way to the lounge and ordered tea and biscuits. Half an hour later the member of staff who took the order came back an apologised for the delay, explaining that he had been called away to take an order from another party of people in a different, slightly more posh, lounge that I believe has to be booked. To be fair our tea and biscuits did arrive shortly thereafter and we were told there would be no charge because of the delay. However, we were left feeling a little like second class citizens.

We decided to eat in the hotel restaurant in the evening to avoid the need to drive (it would have been a long walk to the nearest restaurant). The food is reasonably priced, but sadly the standard is not particularly high. Our starters were fine and set us up nicely for the main course. My wife chose Teryaki salmon with noodles, but the salmon was dreadfully undercooked. We mentioned this to the waiter and our desserts were subsequently given to us free of charge, but it didn't really make up for the sloppy error with the fish. I had the Shropshire pie which was quite tasty and I can recommend it. Our desserts were adequate (Eton mess and a panna cotta). We chose to have a bottle of rose with our meal, which although was placed in an ice bucket after serving, was not pre-chilled. Warm rose at £28 per bottle isn't really on. So only about 6/10 for the meal at best really. This is one area the hotel could do with improving and if it had been better my score for the hotel would have been 4 stars rather than 3.

The staff are friendly and welcoming and do their best, but perhaps they would benefit from a little better management?

Room Tip: If you want a decent night's sleep, ask for a room that isn't in the main part of the hotel!
1  Thank ColinA_11

Hello and thank you for your comments from your recent stay. I was sorry to read that you were not happy with some aspects. I have spoken to the staff in questions regarding there service levels and comments as this is not our normal standard here at Madeley Court.

Please accept my apologies for any discomfort caused and we hope to see you back here at Madeley Court soon.

General manager

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Had a real treat at Madeley Court, lovely period hotel which served us afternoon tea of soup, sandwiches, scones and cake. Not expecting so much for my money. Spent the afternoon by an open fire, a lovely relaxed atmosphere didn't really want to go home!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank steve55_12

Hi and thank you for your positive comments regarding your visit.

Keep an eye out for more offers this January

Noel Mines

Also consider these accommodations in or near Madeley
Best Western Valley Hotel
Park Inn by Radisson Telford
Park House Hotel
Park House Hotel
#2 of 4 in Shifnal

Been to Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel? Share your experiences!