“Spooky!”

Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Madeley
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed in the Chapel many moons ago, I'm an ex copper and not easily scared but I had the scariest night of my life! Perhaps it's the gargoyles, thick wooden doors and creaking floor but the various noises woke me at 3am and awake I stayed. Great food, dining room and setting but if you want an undisturbed night stay in the new part. There is even a room which is not let to guests, to the touch the door is freezing. Get the staff to show you the face in the wall which watches you in the dining room. Look up the history before you go!

Room Tip: NOT the Chapel!!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
NMines, General Manager at Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. As a 16th Century Manor house our rooms range from original through to modern which allows us to appeal to all tastes.

Once again thank you for your positive comments.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We visited this hotel for a hen weekend not looking for a wild time - just good food and a time to relax. Unfortunately from the minute we arrived nothing was right! No twin rooms so 7 ladies in double rooms, tried to charge us twice and rude and unfriendly receptionist. In fact everything already posted by other reviewers who had similar complaints. Although efforts were made to address some of the issues - extra wine, private room for dinner and a dedicated waiter this did help but sorry would have made such a difference.

Room Tip: We had lovely rooms in the main building and thy are full of character.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments. i believe we have discussed this matter directly.

Once again thank you for your comments

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had booked on their website but, upon arrival, there was no record. we received a grilling about how and when we booked. Fortunately, I had a print of the booking, otherwise I felt that we may have been turned away. The situation was recitified in a professional manner, but at no point did we receive an apology. The double room was the smallest i've ever seen. Bedding and bathroom were clean but the curtain pelmets were thick with dust and the furniture shoddy with a handle missing on the chest of drawers. There were no bedside lights so, if you wanted to read in bed, you had to get out to turn the lights off. The sound insulation is very poor and I was awake from 5.00 am with the sound of people moving around. Breakfast was just about adequate for this standard of hotel but by no means lavish. As vegetarians, there was no obvious vegetarian alternative. I concede that this may have been available had we asked, but why should we have to?
This is a beautiful building, where I have previoulsy had a pleasant lunch, but the wonderful surroundings are let down by the present management.

1  Thank OxfordTraveller71
NMines, Manager at Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. We are sorry to read that you were not happy with some aspects of your stay.

We did experiences a series of bookings that we did not receive the information from a selection of on line bookers.

We have no resolved this problem.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We booked an all inclusive weekend. On the first night we were told the earliest dinner we could book was 8.45pm The service was average but the food was good. In the morning we arrived for breakfast at 9.00am and waited 10 mins for a table just to be cleared. Breakfast was due to finish at 10.00am. The juice had run out, the fruit was tinned oranges and tinned grapefruit. The only fresh fruit was apples and oranges. We had to ask for yoghurt. The hot breakfast had run out of almost everything and we had to wait for almost everything.to be cooked We were not asked if we wanted brown toast and the white toast that arrived was burnt. Our friend had tea, but decided the coffee might taste better. The coffee was poured straight into their alrrady used tea cups.

Having waited until 9.0pm to eat on the first night we booked our meal earlier on the second night the earliest they would let us book was 7.45pm. We were seated at 7.50 and did not get served our starter until 9.0pm. At this time the whole restaurant was sitting stony faced. We kept asking for rolls just to stave off the hunger. Waitresses were rushing plates of food into other rooms and the customers that were staying at the hotel were all kept waiting as 'chef was busy serving other parties' We complained at reception to be told that the manager doesn't work over the weekend. Neither does it appear does he pay enough staff to cover the weddings and parties that take precedence over the guests that prepay. If we had not have prepaid we would have gone into Ironbridge for dinner the second night after the poor performance the previous night and at breakfat time. The food on the second night was poor and showed that the chef was overworked. Our impression is that the hotel is only interested in the functions, and the staying guests come at the bottom of the list of priorities. Also for the management of this hotel to leave the running of the hotel to a person that has to cover waitressing in the restaurant over a busy weekend shows complete ineptitude.

We did not complain about the following issues, but room 27 has a radiator that will not turn off and means the guests have to have the windows open to let some of the heat out and a toilet that ran water all night. Room 25 had a radiator that would not turn on. We did at one stage consider drilling a hole between the rooms to even the temperature.

Ironbridge has a lot to offer and is a lovely area, it is a shame that this hotel is so poorly managed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. We were sorry to read that you were not happy with some aspects of your stay. We did experience some staff shortages over that weekend which did result in a slower service level.

We have taken your comments on board and i shall be discussing them with the operational team

Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is a really beautiful building on the outside, and the setting is incredible, but the inside is very tired and needs some TLC. I recently stayed here on a business trip, and although the room I was given was pleasant enough it was directly above the reception office. This doesn't sound too bad, but when the staff were chatting I could hear every word. At 12.30 am I had to ring down and ask them to keep the noise down! I was also woken the following night, at exactly 3.43am, by someone vacuuming outside my room!!
The room itself was ok, very olde worlde, but really needed and update. Very comfy 6' bed, but not enough room for a bedside table and the bathroom had seen better days. Couldn't have a shower one morning as there wasn't any hot water as the boiler had broken and the water was FREEZING.
The hotel has 2 parts, the old building and the newer wing. I was in the old building and all of my colleagues who were in the same building didn't have a good word to say about it. Some even saying they couldn't stand up straight in the shower because of the sloping ceiling, and some even banging their heads on the beams. One couldn't even fill the kettle in the sink as the sink was too small to fit the kettle under the tap! I did see one of the rooms in the newer wing, and it was much, much nicer and more up to date than mine.
I can't personally comment on the food as I don't do breakfast and I ate out in the evenings, although my colleagues that did have breakfast said it left a lot to be desired.
All in all a very disappointing stay and, sadly, I can't recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here I would recommend that you avoid room 6, or any room in the old section o...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
NMines, General Manager at Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay.

This is the first time we have a complaint regarding the noise from reception. Yes your room was located above the reception area but we have rarely had comments such as this.
As a historic building we have many area that provide quirky or original features that are on the whole appreciated and enjoyed by our customers who are looking for this type of experience.
I was sorry to read that your colleague did not enjoy the breakfast service. We received no complaints from any other member of your group regarding breakfast service as if we had we would have actioned it. Therefore we cannot see this as a direct comment towards the food quality and service aspect in the hotel.

I also understand that your group were located in different parts of the hotel with some other colleagues in the historic part of the venue, but received no negative comments.

We fully understand and appreciate your comments and can see that you would have preferred to have stayed in the more modern rooms but sadly on this occasion we had limited availability.

Once again thank you for your comments

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights on an all inclusive deal, hotel is gorgeous, we had a room in the old part of hotel which was lovely. Staff where great, very helpful, and the food was excellent.Will be returning to this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello and thank you for your comments.

We are very glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife and I booked 2 days Wed 19-20 Sep 2012.
We were told to book in after 2 pm but arrived at noon as my wife was suffering with the worst
migraine she had ever experienced ,was in tears with the pain ,and needed to lie down in a darkened room..
We told the receptionist but she just said I'm sorry you can't have the room till 2 pm but can go and sit in the lounge.We did this but found it too noisy.
In the evening we decided to have a sandwich in the lounge, I ordered a speciality chicken one with salad and crisps with a glass of lager .My wife wanted a prawn salad sandwich.
The waiter returned to say they had no prawns left. so my wife reluctantly chose an egg mayonnaise.
My sandwich came with a PINT of lager and the sandwich smelt of fish (unbeknown to me it did contain anchovies) but these were not listed in the ingredients on the menu.The bill listed a prawn sandwich and the wrong room number and we also waited 40 minutes for our food.
Apart from the poor service and standard of food (eg salad was just limp lettuce) the historic building and it's setting were magnificent and it seems sad to ruin what could have been a lovely stay by such lack of attention to detail. In its favour the breakfast was better and service fine in the morning. but what a wasted business opportunity.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments.

We do have a policy that if rooms are available we will check people in, but sadly rooms were not available on that date.

We do try to keep all of our ingredients fresh and therefore on occasions we have limited availabilities with more delicate items such as seafood. I understand that you ordered a chicken Ceasar Salad which is commonly served with anchovies.

In addition we serve lager either bottled or by the pint or half due to licensing laws for serving alcohol.

once again thank you for your comments

Noel Mines

Also consider these accommodations in or near Madeley
Ramada Hotel Telford Ironbridge
Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge
Best Western Valley Hotel
Best Western Valley Hotel
#1 of 3 in Ironbridge
Telford Hotel & Golf Resort
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel

Been to Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel? Share your experiences!