“I really don't know what the fuss is about.”
Review of Potts' Pies - CLOSED

Potts' Pies
Cuisines: Diner, Delicatessen, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Very average pies.
Very expensive.
They have stopped doing the small meat and meat and garlic pies so I won't be calling again.
Try Greenhalgh's pies,better pies,better value.
I know this sounds a bitter review but £2.40 for meat and potato....!Robbery.

1  Thank Dinnergong
Brett C, Owner at Potts' Pies, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review, the feedback of which is very useful. As a direct result of this I have been to Greenhalghs again and bought a selection of their pies and I would comment as follows:

All of the pies were served in foil containers and the reason for this soon became clear. As soon as I tried to pick them out of the containers they fell apart on account of the thin and soggy pastry. Our pies are baked in foil containers but then served without them as the pastry does not break apart.
Beefsteak Pie - was considerably smaller than our comparison Minced Steak and onion pie - I say minced steak and onion pie as that is what the "Beefsteak pie" contained - minced beef. I was expecting Steak.
Meat Pie - the casing on this was about 40% larger than the meat inside, which was surrounded by a watery gravy which leaked everywhere as soon as the pie was opened.
Meat and Potato Pie - contained mainly potato and hardly any meat (certainly not as much as appears on the photographs). Again the thin and soggy pastry meant I had more on my hand then in my mouth.
Steak and Ale Pie - tasted ok and the steak seemed fine, but again in my opinion there is too much gravy and the pie just fell apart.

We have kept our prices down for five years until October 2013, and only then put them up by 30p to coincide with a rise in the minimum wage and the increased cost of good quality ingredients. I still think if you can get a meat and potato pie of the size and quality we serve for less than the cost of a simple sandwich then you are on to a winner. We will even serve it with homemade mash, mushy peas, gravy and hot drink for only £5.45.

I don't dispute that Greenhalghs is an alternative to Potts pies which some people may prefer, but hopefully the above has highlighted the differences between those we serve at Potts and those you can get from Greenhalghs. There are of course cheaper alternatives available but they compromise on the quality of the ingredients and the ratio of expensive:cheap ingredients (i.e. more potato and less meat).

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Potts' Pies is without a doubt the best place in Morecambe to get food!

The bacon and sausage baguettes are to die for and I drive from Lancaster just to get one. I've even got their number in my phone so I can order on the way. The staff are always friendly and helpful.

1  Thank nt78seo
Brett C, Owner at Potts' Pies, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Many thanks for your very kind review. The Chinese Chicken baguette is my personal favourite!