“The Death of a Seaside Town”

The Grove Cafe Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 114 Restaurants in Morecambe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“The Death of a Seaside Town”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

A dramatic title I know, but places like Morecambe are dying a death due to the simple fact that people aren't doing seaside holidays anymore. We popped into the Grove one evening on a stopover and the menu seemed classically British. The inside was decorated like I imagine a nationalistic granny would live, complete with Jubilee bunting and jelly moulds on the wall! The four of us went for roast dinners: two beef and one pork. All were a good size, a lot of meat covered in gravy along with a choice of vegetables and roast potatoes. Sadly the roast potatoes were clearly frozen, they were as solid as a rock and I suspect the veg was also from a freezer bag. On a positive note, the meat was delicious, tender and flavoursome. Nice gravy too which added to the overall experience. The place was empty except for me and my party, and they closed up for the night whilst were in there (6:30 on a Monday evening). It's sad to see such a lack of business for places like the Grove and Morecambe in general. I can understand having some things frozen/pre prepared as you can't afford to have a host of fresh produce in the kitchen when you are serving one table or nobody at all in an evening. I enjoyed the food to an extent and I'm sure if business were better the food could be even nicer. Worth a look if you like classic British food (meat, veg and a heck of a lot of gravy!).

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Chakns

Cheshire, UK
“Very over priced for tasteless food!”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I have been to the Grove numerous times and really enjoyed the food. Within the last two years or so the the owner has taken a back seat and the staff run it for her. On my recent visits I have found the prices have gone through the roof and the food is rather tasteless.
Today I had what I always have and that was a roast beef dinner. The beef was delicious and plentiful as usual but all the vegetables were very disappointing, tastless and lacked seasoning. The roast potatoes were very pale in colour and needed a chain saw to cut through them. For the price you pay it was very disappointing.
Normally the home made soup is very tasty but again this seemed to have changed also and contained a lot of "Shredded" veg, lacked seasoning and in general not nice!

I leave it a while for my next visit, that's even if I decide to return !

• Visited July 2012
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Avoid the Grove!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Liked the choice of menu, plenty of options.
We were not offered the veg without sauces, and when we mentioned this the waitresses stated we had been given the choice, this spoilt the meal for my partner. They took it away and exchanged the cauliflower but the cheese sauce was still all over the plate!
Ho totally hated his meal there, we will not return.

Visited January 2012
Wallasey, United Kingdom
“Old-fashioned in a good way”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Fine fish (haddock) and chips, and a good house Chenin/Chardonnay. Friendly and pleasant service, and nostalgic music, not too loud.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Ramsey C
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good English food in delightful restaurant”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Called in for lunch here on a quick trip to Morecambe. The Grove is located just off the prom at Pedder St behind HSBC bank. For starters my friend had a homemade Veg soup which he clearly enjoyed and I had the Potted Morecambe bay shrimp with brown bread and salad - Delicious.

Roast beef dinner was substantial main course for my friend and I had the grilled halibut , very tasty !

Normally I don't bother with puddings unless they look spectacular, these did ! A Huge range of hot and cold homemade puddings to die for with sticky toffee cheesecake for me and my friend raved over the crumble.

The proprietors according to their business card are Dave and Helen Wilson who I did not get to meet but they can rest assured their staff are doing a great job and we will visit again ASAP as they open all year round !

• Visited March 2012