“Comfy” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Morecambe
Harrogate
“Comfy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

We stayed with shearings, the hotel does need a bit of care and attention but overall is comfy,clean and the staff attentive,particularly Trish in the bar!

• Stayed February 2012
7 Thank bobglov
MatthewPeacock, General Manager at Bay Strathmore Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Dear bobglov

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. I have passed on your praise to Trish in the bar.

Hope to see you again in the future.

Matt Peacock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Jarrow Tyne and Wear
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

We have just returned from our long week-end break with National coaches (10thFeb till 13th Feb).We could not fault this hotel the room was very clean,warm and a comfortable bed, restaurant choice at both breakfast and evening meal could not be faulted with a wide choice something for everyone. The staff from restaurant, bar, reception and the cleaning staff are a credit to The Strathmore. We would not hesitate to return hopefully when the sunshines which I am sorry to say the staff can't help you with.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Tinky_9
MatthewPeacock, General Manager at Bay Strathmore Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
Dear Tinley_9

Thank you for your kind review. I have passed on your praise to the team and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope to see you again when hopefully the sun is shining!

Sandbach, Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

We have just returned from a self drive weekend ( Half Board) at the Strathmore which was excellent value for money. The weekend was extremely cold and a bit snowy. As we had booked a sea view room we expected draughty windows and a cold room, but the windows were double glazed and the room and whole hotel was very warm and pleasant. The decor was of a good standard and all the staff worked very hard and were very friendly. Our waitress Laila was very efficient and we did not have to wait long for service at any time.There was a good menu on all nights. Of all the Bay/Shearings hotels we have stayed in, this is the one that I have found the most pleasant, warm, comfortable and welcoming. The hotel could not be better situated in that the bus stops just across the way into Lancaster and just outside the hotel for Morecambe Centre. I believe you can also get a bus to Carnforth. The Staff at the tourist information were also very helpful and there is a good Morrisons near the Tourist Info offices if you need anything. The Tern Project is well worth looking at, especially all the interactive sculptures on the Stone Jetty. Good fun whatever age of kid you are ! We also did a trip to Carnforth Station where we were pleasantly surprised by a bigger than expected visitors centre ( Free) plus Station Buffet ( serving tea and nice cakes) where the 1946 film Brief Encounter was filmed. Also the large Station Clock from the film.Although the film was before our time, we could not resist the photo opportunity of a picture of us below the clock to celebrate our 'Not so brief encounter' as we celebrate our Ruby wedding this year !
The only, very minor gripe I have, is that in common with some other Bay/Shearings hotels we have stayed in , the coffee/tea after the evening meal was DIY from some flasks in the lounge. The tea tasted stewed, the coffee was unpleasant and both sometimes cold. Do not mind the DIY but Bay/Shearings need to find a better way of serving tea/coffee. Preferably in pots at the tables as they used to. However the rest of our stay was so good that this was just a minor irritation. The area has so much to do we plan to come again in better weather and will stay again at the Strathmore, probably taking the Inclusive option this time.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cheshirebabyboomers
Dear cheshirebabyboomers

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Strathmore Hotel. I have passed on your praise to the team.

As you state the hotel is ideally located along the promenade and the hotel is well served by local buses with the bus stops being situated outside the hotel.

There is a lot to do in the local area and I hope to be able to welcome you back so you can enjoy everything that the area has to offer.

I have noted your comments reference the coffee service and I will make changes where required.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

I took my wife here for 3 nights away, mid winter. The package was D.B.B. inc. drinks(see note) and was difficult to fault for the price we paid. After saying that, please be aware that it is a Shearings Coach destination and you are not going to get pristine facilities on this sort of budget break.

First things first, we drove ourselves and knew that we would be late arriving. I phoned the hotel earlier in the day and they were happy to put a tray of sandwiches in the fridge for us. On arrival we found plenty of free parking road side, opposite the hotel. Reception were warm and welcoming and the previously mentioned sandwiches were lovely.

The room was adequate, warm and clean, the sea view (an upgrade) was good, looking out to the snow capped Lake District. The en-suite had tons of hot water and consisted a bath with shower and curtain. There were a number of holes in the tiles where things had been previously attached and, many of these, were not filled in. (Note for management...Simply filling these would make a big difference in the bathrooms.)

The meals were good quality and the attention from staff was good. Lee, the bar tender was particularly good, remembering us fro the first time we used the bar. It should be noted that the "Inclusive Drinks" package is capped to £15 per person per night... small print in the brochure... but we found this to be adequate. The evening entertainment was excellent on the first night, male vocalist, and adequate on the second, female vocalist.

Average age of guests 50 plus, probably swayed by the Shearings business, but not a problem.

Location is at the better end of Morecambe's prom, which is well worth a walk down.

Yes, some of the carpets and furnishings are tired, but what do you expect at this price? The room was clean, the food was good, the entertainment acceptable and the staff welcoming - That's a pretty good package for me.

One day we may even return!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank KenMcD
Dear KenMed

I am always happy to receive an honest review like this one. The Reception team always try and go that extra mile for our guests and I am pleased that they achieved this on this occasion.

I have noted your comments reference the bathroom and action will be taken.

I have passed on your praise to the entertainment team who all work hard to try and keep every one happy.

The walk along the Promenade in Morecambe is well worth it and the views are spectacular.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I hope to see you again at the Strathmore Hotel.
Windermere Cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed at the strathmore hotel for a 5 day Christmas break, this was our second visit as we stayed Christmas 2010. All the staff from the Manager down were excellent friendly polite and very helpful . Our room was quite small with a sea view, very comfortable and spotlessly clean and refurbished daily. The entertainment was excellent even better than the previous year.The restaurant staf were great and obliging whilst being cheerful and polite. The food was varied and cooked and served well. We enjoyed it so much we have booked for Christmas 2012.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PDTLA232BN
Dear PDTLA232BN

Thank you for your lovely review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your Christmas with us and I have passed on your praise to both the Entertainment team and the Staff at the Strathmore Hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back for Christmas 2012.

Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

Just returned from a 4 night midweek break. Hotel has got to be one of the most welcoming and friendly I have ever stayed in. Not posh or stuffy, just genuine and goodnatured. Staff can't do enough for you, rooms are clean and comfortable, food is wholesome and restaurant staff are a delight. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Will definately go again.

Room Tip: Views from 'seaview' rooms are magic, roadnoise is noticeable but livable
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Leozit
MatthewPeacock, General Manager at Bay Strathmore Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear Leozit

Thank you for your great review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Strathmore Hotel and I am looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

west yorks.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on a 4 day break with National Holidays. The hotel is in a very good position right on the sea front with wonderful views across the bay. The staff were very friendly and efficient especially our waiter Leon who, although, very busy at times always had time for a quick word and even a joke. A very pleasant young man. The rooms were clean and the bed was very comfortable. There was always a plentiful supply of tea, coffee and milk so we could make a drink in our room. We had excellent entertainment on Fri and Sat. evenings but there was none on Sun. Maybe there could have been some background music? My husband left his keys in the bedside cabinet so he phoned the hotel and they were posted back to him immediately. So thankyou to everyone there for making our stay so brilliant.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank yorksramblingrose
Dear Yorksramblingrose

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Strathmore Hotel. I have passed on your praise to Leon.

I am also glad that your keys arrived back home to you safely and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Morecambe in the future.