“The Lothersdale Hotel Badley needs updating and a good clean !!”

Best Western Lothersdale Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Morecambe
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed here as part of our Alfa holiday to the lakes and dales , What a big let down ..... such a small twin room very old fashioned and in need of a modern update , the decor was poor but the worse was yet to come !! the bath room eg the tiny shower room which you really could'nt swing a cat in or turn yourself around in it was terrible .. there was mould all around the shower,The curtain was black with mould and the toilet and floor was very dirty , and old toothpaste stuck on the mirrored cabinet ... I know it was only a 3 star rating but really it was letting itself down ,If i owned it i would re-decorate all the rooms and the dinning room ....
The food was ok but there was not much choice , and very tiny portions.. The entertainment was so so when they had it which was twice..
and we were not allowed to sit in the front bar of the hotel that was for other guests , Not sure that was very fair . sadly that was the only nice part of the hotel ..i can't believe Alfa put us in such an awful place as the holiday was not that cheep . Also Morecambe was such a let down with nothing to do , everything seemed closed down it was a ghost town , but very clean . The only good things about it was nice views and the Eric morecambe statue ... i would never go back there or to the hotel until it was modernised ......

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms are better if your not in a coach party .....
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
BFHotels-Lothersdale, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Lothersdale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

We are sorry to hear via Trip Advisor of your concerns from your recent visit to us. Had you spoken with us at the time of your visit we could have corrected some of the issues you have mentioned.

In the interests of accuracy we'd like to correct a few inaccuracies in your review. The menu has a wide range of dishes on it and they change daily. For our Alfa Coach guests a choice of 3 starters, 3 main courses and 3 desserts plus tea or coffee is always offered. The restaurant staff also carry out service checks during each course and are happy to provide additional or larger portions for those travellers with a healthier appetite. Again had you mentioned this at any point during your stay the staff would have been happy to oblige.

The Entertainment was arranged as requested by the coach group on 4 nights out of the 6 during your visit. The 4 artistes being Al Robins, Tony Jackson, John Jeffries and Ade.

Our resident and non-residents bars are for use by all of our guests, we do not place any restrictions on residents enjoying a drink in either of our bars and a good range of seating is provided in both bars. We also offer a residents quiet area where they can sit and watch the wonderful view over the Bay.

Morecambe is a fabulous base for touring the Lakes & Dales, as per your tour itinerary, most of the shopping in Morecambe closes around 5pm but there is 2 excellent markets plus other attractions in both Morecambe and the surrounding areas including Theatres, Cinemas, Parks, along with Historical buildings and a multitude of walks and nature sites.

We do hope that you will revisit the area, may be on a self drive holiday where you get more time to appreciate the many varied attractions and places to visit that a coach tour doesn't allow.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Lothersdale Hotel

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We were a party of 4 consisting of myself my boyfriend his sister and their mum who is disabled.
On arriving at the hotel we were shown to the first room which was supposed to be a twin with a sea view, turned out it was a triple with NO sea view but the receptionist quickly sorted it out and changed the room quickly and efficiently. both rooms were clean and tidy an the view was amazing.
We ate at the restaurant for dinner which was reasonably priced and tasted ok, would I stay here again for the price that was paid prob not, but it was a pleasant trip to the Lothersdale Hotel

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Public areas comfortable and welcoming. Dining room has frosted glass in the windows and is dark and depressing, reminding me of school. Our twin room was adequate and the beds were very comfortable but the bath wasn't cleaned on a daily basis and at the end of my stay, I wrote "clean me" on the top of the wardrobe....it wasn't a tall wardrobe and could be reached without stretching....black mark for that!
Food was ok but, like previous comments, the sausages were truly awful. No imagination in the menu really but what we had was tasty apart from the cod and the aforementioned sausages.
I don't think I will return.....

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Me and my partner decided to go for a drive lunchtime saturday. Bevause neither of us had been to morecambe for at least 25 years, we thought we would give it a try. When we eventually got there, we drove up and down the prom a couple of times. Mainly to find some public toilets. Non existent. So i suggested we stay the night and this was first hotel with vacancies that looked ok from outside. So i ran in to see if the had a room snd cost. Was told £80 room & breakfast. Thouggt great. Looked nice enough. Little did i know about the room. Small. Bathroom. Not a bath a quarter bath. Very old suite. Partner kept banging himself when he went to the toiket on the toilet roll hokder. Rooms were clean. But very sad. During the night, somehow, we ended up with fesueas in the toiket that didnt belong to us. Uh!. Breakfast?. Juixe/ cereals - great. You would expect more choice on a cooked breakfast apart from one bacon, two sauges that i dont think anyone in the hotel ate, they were disgusting,'one fried egg, beans, rock hard fried bread. Toast was cheap nasty thin loaf. Cant fault the bisrro/ restaurant for excellent evening mea but needs more variety. What yhey hadon the menu was not traditional home cooked food.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a two night stay here. If this rating system allowed me to tick 'Good' I would have done so ! My reason for choosing 'Average' is that having booked via The Laterooms.com site and found that there was only 1 'Superior' sea-view 4room, we went for this as we did want a sea-view ! As I always try to be very honest with my reviews on Trip Advisor I felt that the use of the word 'Superior' was an overstatement really for the following reasons:- the bathroom was too small and really in need of updating. It would appear that the 'Expelair' had been removed leaving a dirty pipe full of dust. The toilet paper was the cheapest and thinnest that I have come across. The door handle to the room had two screws missing and was only held in with 1 screw and was unusable really. No sugars or milks on the tea/coffee tray. One of the mugs was chipped. The valance on the bed-base had not been put on properly and was extremely creased. There was no sheet between ourselves and the duvet.
We included in our costs two breakfasts on two mornings. The buffet table of cereals/juices etc. could not be faulted. The cooked breakfasts however were found to be a little wanting. Our eggs were swimming in fat which was very offputting. However, the hotel staff were very welcoming, speedy and helpful. It is obvious in these hard times and the further demise of Morecambe since our last visit that keeping and running a hotel of this size is getting more difficult. If it didn't have the views of Morecambe Bay we maybe would not return ? The Lothersdale was however more superior than our last stay in Morecambe at disgusting place next door but one, The Eidsforth. Which I am pleased to report is now closed and up for sale !
I would add that we did not mention any of our concerns etc. whilst we were there !

Room Tip: We were in room 10 which is directly above the bar. It was very noisy with music sounds so if you a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MKent001
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My sister and I have just spent 7 days here, the service was excellent the room was a good size and very clean, the towels were changed every day it also had an iron with board come trouser press. The food was very good the staff were friendly and very helpful nothing was to much trouble, good location

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SUSAN W
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Good location and pleasant sea views from the lounge and bar. Stayed on a room only basis so cannot comment on food.
Previous reviewers state they had an updated, sea view or superior room. This did not appear to be the case in my experience as I did not have any of these benefits.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo