“Oh dear...”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Northumberland
“Oh dear...”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Fabulous purple lights & pink booths do not a good cocktail make; get hold of a Diffords Guide,get some mixology lessons & some decent ingredients and design a signature cocktail. I would teach you for free as its heartbreaking to taste a lukewarm cosmopolitan in such modernist splendour...the bright young things of the 30s would be horrified...

2 Thank RomaSubRosa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Wiltshire
“Beautiful Art Deco Bar.. I recommend a few cocktails here..”
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Spent a balmy June evening here. What a fabulous bar! I sampled the cocktails and found I was partial to one called 'honey bee'. The full length windows wrap around half the bar and there is a stunning sea view from this magical and very atmospheric building.
The seating arrangement is bar-side stools or table and chairs around the perimeter of the circular shaped room. Adjacent to this round room on the other side of a partition wall are private booths, the decor dramatically contrasting to the bar in deep and rich purple and cherise tones. The toilets are located downstairs in the basement via two staircases and this seemed to confuse one of the patrons as she thought the toilets were unisex but the difference was quite obvious and there is a definate wall between the two rooms!
I would definately recommend an evening here and I hope to return in the not too distant future. I wish I lived nearer..

1 Thank ChampagneDoberman
Carnforth, United Kingdom
“I Would never set foot inside the place again. coffee lover”
Reviewed May 13, 2010

Took my 90 year old mum in for coffee as a treat. We expected ambience and excellent service, instead we were greeted with a very rude witress in the terrace bar. We were not made to feel welcome, in fact we were largely ignored. I ordered a cafetiere and two cups. I asked if scones were available and was curtly informed that organic biscuits came with the coffee. Whoopeee did we feel lucky! Then we settled down to wait and wait and wait. After 20 minutes we were asked by the very same waitress if we had had our coffee, we said we had not. Another 10 minutes went by and still no sign of coffee, my Mother asked a the same waitress where our coffee was, the respose was classic , "what did you order?" After another interminable wait the coffee and organic biscuits finally arrived but you know what we had lost our appetite. The waitress was constantly yawning and blowing out her cheeks like it was all too much. Better staff training in customer care is very necessary. Interestingly enough just as we were leaving another customer dared ask where her long ordered coffee was. I rest my case

1 Thank coffeelover_10
MidlandGM, General Manager at The Rotunda Bar, responded to this review, May 25, 2010
Dear coffeelover_10

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and I was sorry to read of the delay in service you experienced. I have recently employed an experienced Food and Beverage Manager who is in the process of recruiting and training new members of the team, and you have my assurance that the tea and coffee service to non-residents using our facilities is very much an area of focus, and one that I am sure you will see a marked improvement in on a future visit.

Matt Stanaway
Manchester
“Perfect for a sunset cocktail”
Reviewed March 22, 2010

We didn’t stay at The Midland but visited it as part of a recent weekend stay in Morecambe. One of the reasons we didn’t stay (apart from it being slightly above our price range) is that I’d read some mixed reviews about the refurbishment of the hotel (not just here but generally) – the fittings not being as in keeping with the art deco period as they might be etc, and I was unsure whether it was worth ‘splashing out’ as a result.

We ended up spending a couple of hours at the hotel on Saturday evening, starting with cocktails at The Rotunda Bar at the back of the hotel overlooking the stone jetty and with great views of Morecambe Bay. We loved it. It helped that we had an incredible sunset to enjoy as we sipped our cocktails, but the staff were warm, friendly, professional and efficient, the cocktails were fantastic and good value, the bar itself, full of character and very quirky – I would describe both the bar and what else we saw of the hotel as ‘art deco with a modern twist’, the fittings/furniture, contrary to what I had read seemed excellent quality and for us worked well with the period of the hotel. The loos were particularly impressive with 30’s piped music adding to the atmosphere.

The bar was busy, had a nice atmosphere and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. The food looked great and seemed good value – we made a note to eat there on our next trip. We then had a ‘nosey’ round the main lobby to check out the famous main staircase and mural as well as having a quick peek in the restaurant. Everything looked immaculate, but again, the atmosphere was warm and friendly. No one gave us a second glance or made us feel like we shouldn’t be there and we were impressed with everything we saw. We both felt the restoration was sympathetic and successful, but what do we know? We decided we’d definitely like to go back and stay in the hotel as a special treat at some point in the future.

The next day we were chatting to some locals who had a real downer on the hotel and were very dismissive of the refurbishment. Imagine our surprise when they admitted that nearly two years after its completion, these very strong views were based purely on what others had said, as they hadn’t actually stepped through the doors to check it out for themselves? What a shame that some locals seem to be dissing what feels like should be (and in our view is) the jewel in Morecambe’s crown, and something for the town to be proud of. Come on Morecambe, start bigging The Midland up – it’s a heck of lot better than it was and is a crucial part of the turnaround of your beautiful seaside town. It’s one of the reasons we’ll be coming back for a start.

3 Thank Thepange
Kendal
“Very poor service-Vital that they improve.”
Reviewed September 14, 2009

We just called in for a drink. The architecture and location are stunning but badly let down by the very poor levels of service - untrained, unfriendly staff and poor levels of housekeeping - I looked down at the carpets to see carpet fluff and peanuts which had been there a very long time.
I don't usually write reviews but I actually feel incensed that so many peoples good hopes and wishes are being allowed to drain into the Morecambel sand. I just hope that the management of the hotel read this and fix the situation.
What is so depressing that friends of mine gave exactly the same thumbs down a year ago.
Morecambe deserves a lot better!

2 Thank Lakelandman