“Would Greatly Recommend This Hotel”
Review of Auckland Hotel

Auckland Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Morecambe
Essex
“Would Greatly Recommend This Hotel”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Just spent a wonderful week at the Auckland with Alfa and cannot fault anything.

Was concerned because we are non-meat eaters but had no worries on that account. Plenty to chose from to suit all tastes, including three salad choices of ham, cheese or tuna. The salads included a dish of minted, new potatoes and vegetables. There was also a choice of starters and sweets. The soups were home made and delicious.

Breakfast was plentiful and enough to set you up for the day. In fact in our opinion the helpings for breakfasts and evening meals were huge.

It would be unfair to name any member of staff individually because everyone we came in contact with was helpful and cheerful.

Only downside as far as we were concerned was the lack of telephone in the bedrooms. On two occasions we had to go down to reception to report a problem because we couldn’t reach them by telephone. One being the shower and we had to throw our clothes over our night gear before going down. On both occasions it was our own fault but a member of staff came to our room immediately, was cheerful and helpful and soon sorted us out.

Morecambe town itself didn’t appeal to us but the sea front was spotless, with lovely flower arrangements, well lit and safe to walk at night. It was very good base for touring surrounding areas.

Seniors don’t forget your bus pass. We travelled to Lancaster free and others on our coach party travelled by bus free all the way to Blackpool.

3 Thank superspray
Laura W, Guest Relations Manager at Auckland Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Superspray

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the meals and that the staff were very helpful and cheerful.

Unfortunately we do not offer phones in the bedrooms as we have found they are not financially viable due to the majority of people now having mobiles.

We agree that Morecambe is a great base when travelling around the lakes, and with our beautiful views, the sea front is a great place to walk, especially when the sun is setting.
We look forward to hopefully seeing you in the future

Laura Wood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Have just spent a week at this family run Hotel and found the staff most helpful, they certainly made you feel welcome.
The food was well cooked with plenty of choice - plus large portions.
We were in room 116, which overlooked the sea and was a family room so had plenty of room.
Would recommend this Hotel and give it 5 stars

Room Tip: Room 116 was a bigger rooms than the other front facing rooms on the first floor.
1 Thank Handel1
Laura W, Guest Relations Manager at Auckland Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Handel 1

Thank you very much for your lovely comments about the hotel. We are glad that you had a nice time with us and hopefully we will see you again in the future.

A Sunny Island
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed here as part of Alfa Coach trip for 6 nights. Room 115 was a twin bedded room with a single large window that opened wide (great as I like fresh air), View of the room of the Morecambe Bay. Facing the door was the dressing table with drawers along a wall with tea/coffee making facilities (didn't use these, but if you did and wanted extra supplies you just had to ask at reception). There was a wardrobe with plenty of hangers, although I brought a few along and left them there. There is a small flat screen tv with remote control, no problems with reception, although only watched TV the night of the Olympics Opening Ceremony. Twin bedded room, one bed against one wall by the window, but you could easily access the window, the other bed was seperated by chest of drawers. A table lamp on each. There was a hairdryer in the room.

Bathroom compact (bath with shower on a hose). Shower gel provided. Also a bar of soap for the hand basin, but I brought my own liquid soap and shower gel. Towels provided.

Beds comfy, good sized pillows and duvets. All hypoallengeric, there was a blanket in the warddrobe for anyone that feels the cold). I hate hard/firm beds, but these weren't like that, very comfortable.

Room and public areas very clean on arrival.

Negatives I would make regarding the room, is that the bathroom light switch would be better in the bathroom or more accessible, as you literally had to slide your hand between the wardrobe and the wall to turn on/off the light. Bedside lamps need to be larger/brighter as its impossible at night to read using them (I noticed other rooms which I passed when the cleaner was in there cleaning had larger lamps and probably better light for reading )

Upon arrival Nigel the Manager offered us a choice of rooms (I had pre-requested a sea view room with a shower, as my mother has mobility problems & sometimes if baths are high she can't get in/out because of her condition), we were offered room 115 or a room with a wet room but this was at the back of the hotel, so we choose the sea view room. There was also a disabled shower room that mum was able to use during her stay a short distance from the room. This had a seat in the shower area, basin and toilet.

Hotel does have a lift, although when we were there, it was experiencing some problems and this was reported to the staff (ie you get in on the first floor, press for ground, lift goes down, but the doors don't open and then lift goes up to second floor, no one there, then will come back to ground).

Entertainment: Bingo (although one evening was cancelled during our stay), general entertainment singers/jazz/party night. Good that a 2 star hotel provides entertainment for its guests.

There is free wi-fi internet available although for 2 days was unable to access this, but once the server had been re-set no problems. Connection is good in the public areas, but couldn't pick it up in the bedroom. Saying that I have a mobile dongle and even that in the bedroom connection wasn't brillant (one of the staff did mention that sometimes they have connection problems in various parts of the hotel)

newspapers order and collect from reception.

Food: Breakfast help yourself to grapefruit segments, cereals, fruit juice, yoghurt.. Tea/coffee is served, also the cooked breakfast. Nice to see fresh rather than tinned tomatoes (I don't eat meat or poultry and also have food allergies), most mornings when I had a cooked breakfast just had fresh tomato and scrambled egg which was cooked fine.

Dinner: apart from day of arrival, you choose your evening meals at breakfast time. There was a fish and meat choice, but vegetarian options (whilst I was there there was a choice of about 4 dishes, although for me some were not suitable because of a wheat/pepper allergy). On the first evening I was served leek and potato crumble which was nice (i left the crumble part). The other evenings I had salad all week, either cheese or tuna or a mixture of both. Salads were always fresh and with a good portion of cheese/tuna. My mother had the meat salad during her stay and said both the beef and ham (proper ham, not the plastic type!) was delicious. There is also a starter and desert (each evening fruit juice, soup or a another starter), desert (ice cream, cheese and biscuits (or in my case cheese without biscuits) and another desert like crumble, roly poly, black forest cake, pear helene, etc). One negative over the food is the vegetables that were served, the boiled potoatoes I thought had a strange taste, but I think they were tinned and if so that would account for that (although at home I don't eat tinned pots), Wasn't keep on the veg at all, hence why I had salad each evening. Deserts....would suggest the person making the crumble get a new recipe book, mum had this one evening and she left it after one mouthful, said it was awful, nothing like a crumble should be. One man on our table commented that the soup could have done with more flavour, he used a lof of seasoning when he had soup.

Public areas:There is a TV lounge with large screen TV. Also another lounge with seats in the window area, opposite a small seating area (with a slot machine), then the dance floor area and bar (large area lots of seating), there is a ramp to join the lounges up (the TV lounge was the other side of reception). Bar prices reasonable. Lunchtime sandwiches are available from £2.50 (day of leaving sandwiches also available at £2.50). Seating outside at the front and back for the smokers

As mentioned we travelled with Alfa and paid £318 per person, however I do not know how much the hotel gets per person per night to cover food, enterainment,wages etc.

Tables are mainly done for 4 people, although there were tables for 2 people.

Staff, everyone we encountered from the room cleaner, Nigel, receptionists, waitresses were all polite and friendly, also helpful.....a family run hotel with some non-family staff, but have a question ask it and they tended to know the answer.

Need a taxi? No problem they will ring for a taxi for you (taxi to Lancester City Centre is about £9 depending on traffic). Got a taxi there, but got a bus back (single fare £3, coming back by bus get off at the Clock Tower, stop is about 5 minutes walk from the hotel). If you want to walk to town, out the hotel turn left walk straight, just past the Costa coffee shop turn left and walk straight, you have arrived. In the Arndale Centre there is a Tesco supermarket together with other shops, also shops out of the centre.

Suggestions I would make to the hotel other than the above comments is that you have someone take drinks orders at dinner time, or have a member of staff on the bar 30 minutes before dinner time (I know the staff multi task), this would no doubt increase your sales profits, as although one can ring the bell in reception for someone to come to the bar, it would be better to offer I believe either of the suggestions I have made (also a bell at the bar would be a good idea, rather than going to the bar to find no one there then going to reception to ring the bell and back to the bar). Just a thought you provide sandwiches, but when I worked for a hotel that catered for coach parties, we used to provide a packed lunch consisting of a carton of juice or bottle of water, sandwich, piece of fruit, packet of crisps or a chocolate bar and napkin which was always very popular (

I have marked the trip as travelling with friends, as the other options arent really applicable, as I was travelling with my mother. Wherever I travel whether it be to a family run hotel or a corporate chain, restaurant, etc I always write a review with how I have found the stay.
The Welcome at the hotel was good and one thing I didn't mention was the fab hanging baskets and flowers at the front of the hotel. There are stairs but also a ramp to the hotel front door.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room and enjoy the beautiful sunsets over Morecambe Bay (it does rain a lot there...
2 Thank quillingartist
Dear Quillingartist

Thank you for your very in depth review of our hotel.

I am pleased to hear that you were happy with your room and our public areas. We have taken into account the comments you made about the bedside lamps and we will be placing larger ones in the room hopefully in the near future.

Unfortunately like with all electircal equipment, our lift can have problems, especially when too many guests get into the lift at once and overload it. However once this was brought to our attention we were able to fix the problem very quickly.

Thank you for your nice comments about our entertainment. We pride ourselves on being able to provide good entertainment which hopefully caters for our general clientele.

We are also happy to say that we offer FREE wifi in our public rooms. At the moment we are looking into placing hotspots around the hotel so that our guests can access the internet in their bedrooms. We very rarely have problems with our wifi, in fact this is the first time I have known of where we have had to reboot the system. Once I had got the wifi working again I personally came and found you to ensure your laptop was connected correctly.

I am glad that on the whole you enjoyed your meals throughout your stay. We endeavour to cater for all special requests and we hope that this was made clear to you. I would like to point out that our vegetables are always fresh and our potatoes are certainly never tinned.

We are a family run hotel and most of the time there is a family member on duty. However, I would like to think that all of the staff are extrememly helpful and have a good knowledge on both the hotel and the surrounding area as some of our staff have been at the hotel for over 10 years.

Thank you for making us aware of the problem we have with the bar not having staff on it before evening meal. From now on we will ensure that there is a member of staff available at the bar at least half an hour before the meal. Also thankyou for suggesting the idea of offering our guests packed lunches. We are going to look into this to see if it can be viable for us to do so.

We wish you all the best for the future and maybe one day see you again at the Auckland

Sutton on Sea, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Enjoyed our stay at the Auckland Hotel.The room was functional and always clean.The food was very good,and all the staff were friendly and helpful.Would have given five but for the evening entertainment,it needs to cater for all ages. Would recommend

1 Thank PAULNEWTON
Dear Paul

Thankyou for your nice review of our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I have passed your comments about the entertainment on to the manager.

kent uk
Reviewed July 16, 2012

we would like to thank all the wonderful staff ,at the hotel .
for there help with our visit in .
they were friendly helpful and joy to meet .

we were on a coach holiday with alfa ,the hotel was clean and tidy food was home cooked and very good room was very nice with wet room which was of great help to us .thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: room for disabled was very good
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Linda C
Laura W, Guest Relations Manager at Auckland Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Linda

Thank you for the lovely review you have given our hotel. I am very pleased to hear that the staff were all very helpful and we hope to see you sometime in the future.

Wallsend, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Having stayed at this hotel on many occassions i can say in all honesty that my wife and i think of this place as a home from home. Jason Nigel and all of the staff are allways friendly nothing is too much trouble..we highly recommend this hotel to anyone

Room Tip: Book a room over looking the bay
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Allan C
Dear Allan

It was lovely to see you again and were glad to hear you had another enjoyable stay with us.
We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I have just returned from this hotel as one of a coach group and would have unhesitatingly rated the hotel excellent for food, service and friendliness if I hadn't drawn the short straw and been allocated room 104. It was poky and fusty. The 'en suite' should have been refurbished long ago. The shower curtain was inadequate and I suspect that much water had leaked onto the very bumpy distorted floorboards under the vinyl flooring via quite a large gap under the chipped shower tray. Worst of all was the constant smell of urine in the bathroom. I had to leave my bedroom window open through all weathers and squirt perfume around to counteract the nauseous atmosphere. Everybody else seemed happy with their rooms and my friend had a nice small double room to herself. It is all very well saying that you paid for a single and cannot complain if that is what you get however there is no justification in charging a single room supplement for such a miserable poor quality room. I spent as little time in it as possible and it definitely detracted from my overall enjoyment of my holiday.
I reported the smell to the management and I sincerely hope that they rectify the problem before putting any more guests in room 104. This is the first time I have written a review but it only seems right to warn other singles of what they might encounter if they are unlucky.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank Pat B
Laura W, Guest Relations Manager at Auckland Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear Pat B
I would just like to let you know that we have replied to your comments in more detail via email.
We are sorry that you were unhappy about your room however we do appreciate the lovely comments about the rest of the hotel.
We would like to point out that the hotel did not charge you for a single supplement. We only charge groups a supplement for singles if there are more than six singles in the party and then those who have paid a supplement are guaranteed a twin or double room for sole occupancy. Certainly that week no supplements were charged by the hotel.
We are constantly updating our rooms and investing in the hotel and this winter we will try to address some issues with this room.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morecambe
The Morecambe Bay Hotel
#6 of 10 in Morecambe
Holiday Inn Lancaster
Holiday Inn Lancaster
#4 of 7 in Lancaster

Been to Auckland Hotel? Share your experiences!