“Ok for a one night stay”
Review of The Westleigh

The Westleigh
Ranked #19 of 25 Morecambe B&B and Inns
Southport, England, United Kingdom
“Ok for a one night stay”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is a pretty basic b&b with basic amenities. Great in that it's on the front, but it's old and shabby and in need of some serious tlc. Breakfast was extremely basic with the cheapest sausages I think I've ever tasted. But if you're just staying one night then it's not too bad. Whoever did the photographs for this place did a good job as it conned me into thinking the standard was much higher.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zoe R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Ashcott,United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Made to feel welcome. Excellent full English breakfast. Lovely position on front with views to mountains and free parking outside on road. Room 1 bathroom is minute so go for bigger room if this would bother you. For a 1 night stop over it was ideal.

• Stayed April 2013
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Never again to be honest. I was performing in Morecambe and knowing what a run down place the town is I wanted to book somewhere in advance to save me from taking a chance on some of the less salubrious B&B's
The Landlady rang me and asked what time I'd be arriving yet when I did turn up she advised me that I should put the heating on in my room. Why wasn't this done in advance of my arrival?
My room ( 7 ) was gloomy and freezing. A double bed and two bunk beds shoved against the the plain ( apart from he peeling wallpaper ) walls.
There is a bizarre heating system in the bathroom where you press the button on the outside wall and it turns a fan heater on for 30 seconds. It's impossible to switch back on whilst you're having a shower. The shower was luke warm and pathetically slow, added to a cold bathroom and freezing bedroom it made for an uncomfortable few minutes.
I'd turned the radiator on and when I returned after work the room was still icy cold. I ended up sleeping in a T shirt and socks.
The Westleigh is tired and in need of a lot of refurbishment and also a bit of love and affection from it's owner, a bit like Morecambe itself.
Hopefully I'll not set eyes on this hotel again it's a disgrace to the profession. Do they ever watch "Four in a Bed"?
Mark Rough - Comedian

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Markrough

Travelers are raving about these Morecambe hotels

Totton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed here overnight on the weekend with four overs (dad-single room, 2 friends-twin room & me+partner-double) all the rooms were reasonably decorated, had comfy beds and were very clean! I couldn't believe the bathroom, it was spotless!!

I booked through a cheap hotels website and our booking was messed up but the very friendly landlady handled it very well abduction sorted it all out (with no fuss!) she was also very helpful with pointing out good restaurants and pubs for us to visit in morecambe town centre. Very helpful when you don't know the area at all.

We then went up to our rooms (quite a trek up to the top floor) they were all neutrally decorated with modern furniture and a small tv. however our double room the floor was very squeaky, so much so the wardrobe doors rattled when you walked past! The bed was also very noisy - I assured my other half we'd be doing nothing but sleeping in that room!!

Although you couldn't hear people when they were in their rooms you could hear them in the corridor & with the amount of pubs in morecambe I can imagine quite a few residents could come back intoxicated so it would be quite noisy in the summer.

I had an absolutely wonderful nights sleep in the bed!! Absolutely no complaints.

The next morning I had a shower, there are clear instructions on how to get the it to work effectively and I followed them and again had no complaints, one of my male friends did not follow them and he suffered for it so I would strongly advise you do!

The breakfast was nice - but nothing too inspiring but becareful with the sugar shakers, it comes out quick!!

The hotel is right on the seafront and we had a lovely sea view, its worth requesting this if you plan to look out of the window at all because the view from the rooms at the rear of the building are not very nice at all!

All in all I had a fantastic stay in The Westleigh & if I ever go back to morecambe this is definitely where I would plan to stay :)

• Stayed February 2013
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed here on New Year's Eve as we were having a night out in Morecambe and watching the football the day after. Hotel quite basic to be honest and tired furnishings. But as we didn't spend much time there it didn't really matter. We got a cheap room for the night and the bed was comfy enough. Room was clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Isle of Man
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed for one night last week, booked last minute as I was coming over from the Isle of Man and didn't like the look of the weather forecast for the morning I was due to travel so decided to get off the rock the night before! For £27 I wasn't expecting The Ritz - I got pretty much what I expected, a rather tired looking guest house that needs a fair bit of updating. I'd requested a late check in and the proprietor met me on arrival which was appreciated. My room ( a single) was long and narrow and had some nasty woodchip wallpaper and some dubious plastering, however it was very clean and the bedlinen smelt lovely and fresh. The bathroom was, also, a bit dated and tired looking but again was spotlessly clean and had a good supply of hot water for a shower so I had no complaints. There was a generous hospitality tray and the bed was comfy - the room was based at the back of the building so had no view but unfortunately the curtain was very thin and let a lot of light in which disrupted my sleep. I couldn't get the tv to work though, it only found 2 stations and counted down from 30 to 0 at which point it switched itself off!! - wasn't really a problem as I was only there overnight, but possibly may be for guests who stay longer. There was WIFI in the room , free of charge. Breakfast the next morning was served by a very nice friendly lady, and I enjoyed my poached egg which was cooked well. It was served on white toast - I'd have preferred a choice as I don't usually eat white bread - so it may be worth asking for wholemeal bread in advance. All in all, a comfortable overnight stop which offered good value for money. I'd definitely go back for another overnight stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The hotel was clean and the landlady was very friendly and made us feel really welcome. The rooms were basic but clean and had everything we needed, the breakfast was nice, the dining room clean. I would recommend and will definitely stay here again. Spot on, great value for money

• Stayed December 2012