“Expensive”
Review of White Swan

White Swan
Ranked #20 of 69 Restaurants in Pickering
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The kitchen at the White Swan is focused on doing very little to excellent local ingredients with very rarely more than three flavours on a plate. We make just about everything from scratch in cluding the ketchup and we charge more for it than we would need to if everything came out of a freezer via a microwave.If you are looking for prissy and plastic fine dining then don't expect that here. If you are looking for mountains of cheap food and you don't care where it came from then there are better places to get it.However if you love proper food then I also promise you service from people who are genuinely pleased to be working in our lovely Inn. The AA deems our food good enough for 2 rosettes - and that is without a single smear, smudge or froth in sight. At the other end of the scale, we don't do wrapped butter portions or packets of sauce either (or piped musak). If you want real food in a relaxed experience with great service and a happy atmosphere then come on down. If you want something else - then don't say I didn't warn you.Victor Buchanan - Owner
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Visited 31st july, decided to just have a drink after first impressions of the front lounge bar was very dark and gloomy. Ordered a pint of timothy taylor beer and one medium glass of wine when asked to pay £11.50 i nearly fell over with the shock, not being one to embarrass myself and question the ridiculous price i duly handed over my money. Will certainly not be rushing back here for a drink or food.Dark and dingy and damned expensive

3  Thank Dave C
replyman, Owner at White Swan, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

This review is plain wrong. We simply don't charge £11.50 for two drinks. Even if this did happen your rationale for not questioning will appear somewhat strange and not the normal actions of someone faced with being overcharged.

Next time you are buying a car please can you give me a ring. I've got a lovely 12 year old BMW 3 Series which is a snip at £58,000.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Basically, we got of the steam train with no idea where to eat, turned into this Inn not long before lunch was being served. The staff were immediately helpful and the four of us had possibly the best fish and chips I think that we have ever tasted ... highly recommended though not cheap fare but still good value. One treat was to get buns clearly straight out of the oven ...

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We called in after lunchtime food service had finished but the lady on duty got us sandwiches/light bites and was very accommodating.

2  Thank pamh-0992
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Having seen the complimentary reviews on trip advisor and seen that the white swan had been awarded 2 AA rosettes we thought it would be a good start to our holiday in Yorkshire to have dinner there last week. This turned out to be a mistake for several reasons: the atmosphere in the restaurant -the room was dark and gloomy; the food was acceptable but overpriced as was the glass of wine; the service while willing was slow even though the restaurant was half empty - we waited nearly an hour before any food appeared. So we asked ourselves why 2 rosettes?

3  Thank maur25
Reviewed July 27, 2014

After our trip on the steam train at Pickering we popped into the White Swan. I ordered a Stella and the bar maid served me a cider.....must be my Southern accent. Anyway she was most apologetic and poured me a Stella and let me have the cider anyway......so I had two nice drinks for the price of one.