“Good Nights stay”

Ranked #27 of 46 Pickering B&B and Inns
manchester
“Good Nights stay”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Having tried to get in a premier inn ( usual business hotel) all in the area were full , so looked around and stumbled on Beansheaf
Needed a hotel with restraunt and wifi boxes ticked at beansheaf
On arrival was greeted by friendly gentleman who showed me to my room , explained meal times and where the restraunt was.
Nice clean room ,well stocked tea tray with extras like J2O ,choclates ,etc
Food in restraunt was nice ,fresh ,homemade and plentyful
Breakfast likewise with a wide choice
Checking in and out was simple and friendly
Best of all reasonably priced £68 for B & B , £30 for 3 course meal and 3 pints of bottled cider

Will highly recomend this hotel and without doubt stay here when next in area

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
London
Reviewed November 14, 2012

A group of nine of us stayed for three nights at The Beansheaf which we used as a base for a mountain biking trip to the local area; we are all in our early 30s.

I personally think that 'Inn' probably better describes The Beansheaf than that of a hotel, as it seemed to be a fairly family owned and run business and obviously with the number of rooms is a bit bigger than your average B&B. Despite the 4 star rating on the door, at times felt like it lacked what you would expect from a 4 star hotel.

I arrived at about 10pm on Friday Evening where a member of staff greeted me and showed me to my room. It was a single, located on the second floor at the back of the building. The room was a decent enough size for a single and while very simply decorated it felt nice enough. As other Reviewers on TripAdvisor have commented, the chair (same as used in the Dining Room) was stained and the Desk/Dressing Table does have chips in the wood underneath the glass panel, so you can't really win any points of presentation on that one. The Bathroom is on the small size and is where I'd probably direct most of the problems with the room. Firstly there is no curtain or blind on the window in the bathroom, while I don't think anyone saw me during my stay, its not impossible that it could happen given that there is a car park at the back of the building. There was a heated towel rail, but the bathroom still remained very cold and also had a problem with condensation pooling on the windowsill. It was quite a cold weekend and I found that balancing the room temperature was hard because the heater would quickly make the room too hot. The bed was comfortable and I managed a good nights sleep. However, the walls are thin, I could hear somebody snoring one night, another time I could hear the person next door to me using their bathroom. I didn't really hear any road noise, but I was at the back, I'm not sure I would want to be at the front of the building given that its right on a busy road. I think really they need to install double glazed windows, as that would sort out issues with heat, condensation and noise, probably even save them money in the long run!

The food in the restaurant is of a good standard. At Breakfast there is a choice of cereals, juices and some fruit. The English Breakfast was pretty good, I think the only thing criticism is that they used tinned mushrooms instead of fresh ones. They do have other cooked breakfast choices, but I only saw people have the Full English. I dined twice in the evening and the food again was quite good and the portions are very generous.

Now for the negatives...

The Beansheaf is located two and a half miles from Pickering and there is really nothing but farmland and the main road next to it. Its fine if you are driving, but one evening, we fancied going into Pickering; it proved easy enough to get a taxi there, but every single cab firm we rang said that they were fully booked or would be finished so couldn't pick us up again. As a result, we ended up having to walk all the way back to the hotel. To give an idea, it took about 45 minutes to walk back at a fairly brisk pace, at least there is pavement the entire way.

I've noticed a lot of people in their TripAdvisor reviews have mentioned the state of the carpets. I agree that they are a bit grubby in the reception areas, but I was willing to look past that because of the fact that most people staying are likely doing so to follow an outdoor pursuit, which is bound to bring some dirt in over time. The carpets in the Dining room though certainly were a state, with parts of the flooring even exposed near the walls. It appears they were aware of how bad this looked, as they were actually replacing the carpets when we left, so it should look a lot better in future.

The Restaurant, while also open to people not staying at the hotel, stops service at 8pm, which seems incredibly early, but again I think it highlights how it seems more like a B&B. We discovered this on the Sunday evening, we wanted to dine in the restaurant about 8pm, but when I found the staff all sat reading the papers in the bar, they said that was no good. The attitude they gave off seemed like it was all a bit of a chore for them.

Continuing on with the family B&B ethic, the staff seem to be doing all roles, from being on reception, to in the bar and waiting on your table at dinner. While they were cordial enough, some of them seemed to give off a vibe that they weren't very interested and that it was a bit of a chore; the younger man was the stand out member of staff though and was very friendly and personable.

I had one particularly bad experience with whom I would describe as the oldest member of staff.
When I arrived at the hotel, I was informed that Breakfast was served between 8:00 and 9:30. On our final night, we agreed in the bar, in front of a member of staff, that we would meet for Breakfast at 9:15am. When I arrived at that time on Monday morning, I was rudely greeted by the member of staff with a sharp "Breakfast finished at 9!"
Before I could even get a word in, he walked away from me to answer the phone, he then proceeded to have a phone call with what was clearly the owner, while I stood there waiting for him to finish. When he did so, I asked as to why they had finished serving breakfast when we were told the hours were 8-9:30. He yet again gave me a blunt reply that Breakfast finished at 9am because its not the weekend. When I calmly explained to him that how was I to know that, given that I wasn't informed that the hours would change after the weekend, he quipped that I should have read the book and walked off again. Presumably he was referring to the hotel guide in the room, which I confess I didn't look at, but they knew how many nights I was staying, so they could have told me when I arrived or the member of staff who overheard our conversation the night before could have pointed this out. Fortunately he came back and decided he would order breakfast, however they were trying to redo the carpets while we were eating and he eventually asked us to leave, as we were holding them up. Fair enough we might have been outside of their weekday breakfast hours, but I certainly wasn't informed that they would be doing works to the hotel during our stay.

The small Bar is cosy and inviting and makes a nice place to enjoy a drink. The only downside I felt was that the staff member, which I believe was also the owner wanted us to finish our drinks and lock up the bar by 11:30pm. Its a shame because my experience of hotels is that as a guest, you can usually have a drink until late, but here it seemed like he just wanted to go to bed. The other issue with the bar area being locked up is that the hotel has no other communal area to sit. On our first night, arriving late and catching up with old friends, our only choice was to continue our conversation and planning for the next day by going to one of the rooms. As I said previously, the walls are thin, so that didn't go down to well. I think that could have easily been avoided had the bar remained open longer and/or there was an area guests could sit downstairs when closed.

Overall the Beansheaf is decent enough, but I just think its good to know what you are getting.
My experience of dinning and the bar made me think that I was always stopping the staff from doing what they wanted to be doing, rather than attending to their guests, so its that area I think I'd really mark them down for. Its ok for a nights stay, which perhaps most of their usual guests are, but if you are staying for a few days and want to see a bit more of the local area, you would probably be best off staying in Pickering. Maybe we were just the wrong type of crowd for the hotel.

Room Tip: I'd aim to try and get one at the back of the building.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Very spacious and clean room! We were with a group of 14 and we have had a good stay here for one night. Despite the fact that the hotel is direct on the main road to Pickering it was not very noisy.

The hotel is about 5 minute drive from
Pickering itself so no A-class location. Therefore The high price for the rooms is not justifiable.

Food was okay but the people working in the hotel are just like Statler and Waldorf, the grumpy old man from the muppet show. Not very friendly it helpfully.

• Stayed October 2012
Norwich UK
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed 3 nights Wed- Saturday Walking self guided locally

We arrived early and were allowed to take the room. Staff carried some of our luggage and explained the dining/breakfast times .

The Room was spacious and comfortable looking to the side of the building over the overflow car parking and included within superior refreshments and a welcome folder detailing local services(Doctor Taxi etc)heating controls,Shower operation,Phone rates.Beverages were re-stocked liberally and Soap dispensers were available in the Bath Room

The Brown Communal area carpet is heavily worn(stained) by foot traffic tracking to the foyer/bedrooms and Dining/Restaurant area.

Staff just booked our meals/drinks to the bill without any signature or production of the key except at Breakfast on our first day (after we had already eaten cereal etc) Staff were aware we had gone into Pickering between our arrival and our first appearance in the Restaurant and enquired how we liked it.

Breakfast consisted of Mini Packets of Cereal or Yoghurt and a choice 3 fruit juice, pour yourself Tea and Coffee were offered and Toast in a Rack was brought automatically after cereal consumption(White Bread) Cooked breakfast orders were taken swiftly: A full Breakfast was Bacon,Sausage,Black Pudding and Egg( Fried) Tomato and Baked Beans There was a choice of any variation of these and Kippers (from "Whitby" (cannot say that is for certain),they were not salty or very orange) Porridge was also available (£8.95)

We were treated well choosing to eat in the Restaurant every night without booking there was a minor mistake with my wife choice of starter on the first night which was quickly replaced
Despite arriving late on the last night having had a problem with our walk navigation we were served without drama or disapproval

Staff also ate in the Restaurant when off duty as well as Public parties come to dine.

In addition to the menu there were also specials on the board starters £5 Main Course £10, we did not sample the deserts. Wine was competitive at £15 2 Gin and Tonics £7 approx

Checking out was swift efficient with enquires on how our stay was and what our onward journey would be like followed up by a survey request via e-mail a few days later

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed for one night at a cost of £68 per room without breakfast. Very dissapointed on entering the reception due to the filthy carpet and general standard of decor. Reception is the front line of a customers visit and should be clean & welcoming. However the young man who checked us in was very helpful and friendly , and this standard of staffing carried on throughout our visit. We couldn't fault any of the staff , they are all a credit to the business. The room was pleasant and clean with nice little touches like the J20's and chocolates for the guests. Decor needed touching up here and there, and bed was uncomfortable and maybe ready for replacing but none of it was too worrying. The meal at night was good and the service again was excellent as at Breakfast. It is definately in need of some TLC but to be honest it wouldn't take very much to bring it's charm back. A new carpet throughout the reception , bar and restaurant are an absolute must if this Hotel wants to be remembered for the many positive things it provides. We would however like to say a big thankyou to all the staff for their hospitality and would return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank YorkshireJane2010
leeds
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Just returned from a disappointing weekend at the Beansheaf Hotel. When paying £109.00 per night for room only you would expect a bit extra, the first thing you see when entering the reception area is the filthy carpets, the bedroom carpet was much better but still not 4* clean. Coat hangers could not be positioned correctly in the wardrobe due to lack of depth therefore your clothes had to be squashed together.Light bulbs were missing and decoration was substandard.
Liquid soap from dispensers were the only toiletries supplied.Bottles of JTO Biscuits and 2 handmade chocolates were in the room on arrival but not replenished for the 2nd night.
I asked when checking in if we needed to book a table for evening meal and was told no if I told them what time I wanted to eat they would accomodate us which they did on the first night however on the second night we were told they were full.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

We booked two double rooms at this pub hotel and were surprised how clean and confortable it was.. All you expect from a basic rooms was there. Natural surrounding is a plus. We definately recommend it

Stayed September 2012