“Expectations let down”

Feast
Ranked #16 of 70 Restaurants in Pickering
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Chef's Cafe, Deli and Special Gift store. 30 seats. Owned by the White Swan Inn next door.
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and i visited here with our young daughter it is placed at the back of the deli so i had to climb stairs in order to eat here . As i had wanted to visit here since it opened and had heard great views on it i was prepared to do so even though i use a walking stick and find stairs difficult . The waitress was keen to take our order so we ordered breakfast and a hot chocolate .After the drink arrived was when my expectations were beginning to be let down , it was bland and bitter and i had to ask for sugar to make it taste reasonable now i dont take sugar in any drink but had to in order for it to be drinkable . My bacon sandwich arrived and it was almost cold and quite hard . I had to wait for mayonaise which made the food even colder . I couldnt eat the bread as it was soggy before i put mayonaise on it so i ate just bacon , mushrooms . There were no napkins provided with the order so my husband went to get some which he helped himself to . The place was reasonable although i did notice the seat was stained with a red mark but it appeared clean . One of the problems we found here was on paying for the food you have to go downstairs to the deli which means you can be waiting behind deli customers to pay if it is busy then you could wait a time . All in all i was unimpressed with feast and wont be returning again as there are better places in pickering to eat from .

1  Thank Diane P
replyman, Owner at Feast, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

This is a response in two halves. I am sorry that you found the physical layout of the building difficult to cope with and I appreciate that walking with a stick means that stairs etc are a much bigger barrier for you than for someone unencumbered with a stick. The only way around this would be to install a lift but there is no way to engineer this into a listed building even if money were no object. However - there is a passage along the side of the building which we use for disabled access to the upper level so I am sorry that none of my troops thought to offer this to you.

Our hot chocolate is made with Belgian chocolate and is supposed to be bitter and taken with a little sugar. More common brands hide the sugar within so you think that you don't need any. Now you know and i make no apology for this.

It appears to be our mistake to make our own mayonnaise from scratch. It isn't a common side order at breakfast (except in Belgium maybe) so I am not surprised that we had to make some for you. How many restaurants let alone cafes even know how to make proper mayonnaise? We should have offered to heat up your sandwich and we didn't so I apologise again. If you have made your mind up not to come back then there is very little I can do now to put matters right.

If you change your mind, let me know.

Victor Buchanan victorb@white-swan.co.uk

There are newer reviews for Feast

Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is an excellent place to eat. The food is varied and delicious. The deli downstairs is superb. My only complaint is that, like many modern establishments, the atmosphere was spoilt by the sound of Radio 1 or some local radio blasting out loud techno/dance music (which was slightly distorted due to being not tuned in properly or low quality of speakers).

Something much more ambient would be better.

Otherwise highly recommended. We need more places like this in North Yorkshire...

replyman, Owner at Feast, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thanks for your kind review. Will look at the music issue. Shouldn't have been on - I don't like it either.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Feast provided the outside catering for a family party. They prepared excellent food and met all our requests. The Curry was great, with extra chilli for those of us who like it spicy. The range for the buffet was brilliant and all ingredients were of the highest order. The cheese selection was especially good.

Whilst we asked them to cater for 14 adults there was enough food for us to have a repeat party the following day with all the stuff we hadn't eaten the night before.

Thanks Tom, it was money well spent, and everyone enjoyed your hard work.

2  Thank Mark S
replyman, Owner at Feast, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

Thank you for your great review and glad you really enjoyed the food. Tom loves a namecheck so thanks for that too.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Great selection of food in the cafe and deli. Girls on duty were very polite and knowledgable about the food. Service,food and surroundings all great, what more does one need

2  Thank Glyn T
replyman, Owner at Feast, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear Glyn T

Thank you for your most excellent review. Do come again soon.

Victor. victorb@white-swan.co.uk

Reviewed August 6, 2012

You might have to wait for a table but it is worth it. Not big portions especially the quiche but all delicious. Pot of tea comes with a jug of hot water which is always welcome. After eating our little girl loved playing with the cute little toy kitchen. We recommend the rarebit and pancetta or the ginger pig sausage on cheese with red onion jam served on a huge hunk of rustic bread lightly toasted!

replyman, Owner at Feast, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear Daisy

Thank you for your review. The little play kitchen is a big hit and even though it takes up space that could be occupied by a proper table, I would be chased out of town by a gang of 5 years olds waving small plastic cooking utensils if we ever moved it.

Victor. victorb@white-swan.co.uk