“OVER-RATED, POOR VALUE ,CRAMPED DINING ROOM”
Review of The White Swan Inn

The White Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pickering
Pickering
“OVER-RATED, POOR VALUE ,CRAMPED DINING ROOM”
Reviewed April 10, 2010

This was to be a special occasion. A birthday treat from my husband. A meal in the White Swan Hotel restaurant.Sadly it was not to be. On arrival , having booked several days earlier, we had to ask for our coats to be taken, remind the staff when our first drink did not arrive after 15 minutes-a poor start.Our table in the restaurant was so close to the next table that we were party to the couple's whole conversation.Perhaps the meal would make up for this. Sadly no.It was poor quality and over-priced.On leaving we did leave a tip. I am not sure why.The waitress in receipt of this gratuity expressed no thanks. I wish we had stayed at home in Pickering. We will certainly not return or recommend the experience.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Judith67Pickering
Lisa_whiteswan, Manager at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, April 15, 2010
Hello,

I was very disapointed to read your review on Tripadvisor this week as I was working on the Saturday evening in question and was led to believe that all of the guests in the restaurant were enjoying their evening, food and service.

I would certainly like to take this opportunity to apologise that this was not the case. I do not find your wait for 15minutes for a drink acceptable and this is not the level of service that I would like to think that we are offering.

I would also like to apologise that the standard of the food was not upto your expectations and our usual standard. We do operate a full money back guarentee if our guests are not completely delighted with their White Swan experience and I will be happy to honour this, as each aspect of your evening is clearly unacceptable. We do encourage our guests to let us know at the time of the compaint so that we have the opportunity to right any wrongs, replace any unsatisfactory dishes or, to go our of our way to turn your evening around.

I will be happy for you to get in touch with me on 01751 472288 so that we can discuss your evening further and I can refund your evening with our sincere apologies.

My best regards,

Alison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Leicester
Reviewed March 30, 2010

We went to Pickering to spend a day on the North York Moors Railway. After a lot of surfing and reading reviews we settled on the White Swan. We didn't regret it! Good experience from booking onwards. Tracey was very helpful dealing with specific requests before we arrived. The rooms (traditonal inn rooms) were in the main building. They were compact but well appointed. Excellent bathrooms, always spotless. Beds were really comfortable, and the pillows were very good (pillows are something that are so often a disappointment!). All the food we had was very good - very fresh and very well presented. The dining room is lovely with a fire and we especially liked the tables as they were big enough to get all the food on without playing chess with the dishes. We did enjoy the club room - had it to ourselves even though the hotel was full. The cues were in one piece, my game was not. That said the the table did have some interesting slopes not immediately noticeable until the ball dropped into the hole from an impossible angle. The club room was very useful for us as a family with teenage boys. The bar is snug, and a good range of beers etc. We had no trouble with the bar next door even though we were in rooms next to it and it was the weekend. And finally, without exception, the staff were all helpful, courteous and we had no complaints. We'd definitely return to the White Swan.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, April 27, 2010
Thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to The White Swan
Suffolk
Reviewed March 3, 2010

We stayed at the white swan at the end of February for a long weekend and while the hotel was lovely both my wife and I left feeling a little bit disappointed.
The room was nice, but not great. The Bed was not up to much & the bedding was poor.
For the price you pay for the white swan you would expect more. The food was great but again very pricey. You just get the feeling that the white swan is trying to be something special but not quite doing it, but at the same time charging you a high price for it.
I would love to go there again, but the cost is just putting me off. You can get a better hotel & meal for similar if not cheaper price in the area.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank westsuffolk
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
'A lovely hotel... with great food' you say but you wouldn't recommend us because of the price. We offer a no quibble money back guarantee if you are not delighted so I am surprised you didn't say something to us at the time? Our standard rooms are always under £75pp B&B and sometimes we do a 3 for 2 deal that brings it to £50B&B. If we charged any less we wouldn't be a "lovely hotel with great food" but bankrupt - I am still sorry you were disappointed.
midlands
Reviewed January 27, 2010

We stayed at the Pickering at the end of December just after Christmas and although it was a nice trip, both myself and my partner were disappointed with our stay there. The place itself is lovey and we paid extra to have one of the suites in the hotel so that our two children (aged 2 & 4) could have their own room and sleep easily. Its a fairly expensive hotel but their promise of a high level of service and excellent food convinced us to give it a try. The food was lovely, however we found the service to be patchy. We arrived at lunch having rang to ask if the room might be ready early as we had young children. We were told 1.30 and arrived just after that to find in fact this was not the case. Not really a problem but annoying as I had asked specifically for a time so we didn't have to wait around. We were offered a complimentary drink but the bar and lounge was very full and not really enough room for a family of 4 and the staff was so buys that after 10 mins of waiting to be served at the bar we decided to go elsewhere for a drink. The lady on reception was excellent and very helpful and the food was great, however the waiting staff were just OK, and in fact quite brusque and unhelpful in the morning, in fact when I accidently spilt a whole cup of coffee on the floor and on my bag in the morning, I saw the waitress at the next table actually laugh and walk off, leaving me to mop it up off the floor with the serviettes. I didn't mind doing this but the least she could have done is offer me a proper cloth. There is a great club house for guests which really is lovely and a great touch, unfortuneatley when we went over to use the pool table all the cues were broken so we didn't bother. Normally myself and my partner are quite laid back about these things, but the White Swan really shout about their service level and these little touches so I guess it was just more disappointing when it didn't come off. However our biggest complaint is that the hotel is next to a wine bar, and their loud music went on till just past 12, and it was pretty loud, enough to wake the kids, which kind of defeats the point of spending more on a suite. Both myself and partner did not have a relaxing night at all, which is a shame. To be fair when I mentioned this to the receptionist in the morning she did knock off our bar drinks in compensation which was a nice gesture but didn't really compensate for not getting the night away of relaxation we were hoping for. The White Swan is a lovely hotel, with nice food, but for the money I don't think it quite delivers on what it promises and its not a place we would go back to ...and beware of the noise...

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank ellam42
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2010
I have written to you privately and I am sorry that we failed your expectations. The offer of an early check-in should have been easy to deliver and because we failed to do this I think your stay got off on the wrong foot. The period between Christmas and New Year is always very busy so the public areas are always in demand at lunch time. However the Club Room is usually available to residents and it rarely is as busy. The cues should have been replaced and we always keep spares so they were available. Again sorry. The noise issue has happily been addressed also. The new owner of the wine bar is committed to making sure that music doesn't disturb us and we have a 'fast track' way to now ensure this. (I tried very hard to object to their license extension a few years ago but our local council disagreed with my view) They now have to employ doorstaff which has also helped the issue. The team at the White Swan enjoy regular training and the waitress who failed you also failed to respond to this training and is no longer with us. In defense of my remaining troops I think they are the friendliest team on the planet and are all fully committed to bending over backwards to assist our guests. Please respond to my private reply.
Bermuda
Reviewed January 9, 2010

Shooting 2 days back to back, we stayed for 2 nights.
A well laid out pub with a small cosy bar at the front and a large dining room at the back, we had a private dining room to ourselves.
The Black Sheep was delicious! The very extensive wine list was fun to review, and what a great idea having so many magnums for the larger groups... The shepard's pie was absolutely fantastic, the breakfasts were also excellent - proper sausages and great black pudding. THe rooms were very highly spec'd for a coutry pub with great big baths to fall asleep in after a day in the fresh air! THis was my 2nd stay and I will definately be going back again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2010
Sorry but I rudely haven't thanked you for your review. Glad the birds flew well and that you enjoyed the sport as well as the hotel. We have an arrangement with Orvis in Pickering who supply all things shooting so if BA lose your bags the next time you come don't worry - and I could always lend you my gun. Also happy to fill in if one of your gun's doesn't turn up - now that is service!!!
Sheffield
Reviewed November 23, 2009

Stayed here for one night and was very impressed.We chose a 'traditional inn suite' which whilst a bit pricey was lovely,warm and cosy.Our dog went with us and the hotel is very dog friendly.Really liked the bar and lounge area downstairs with lovely log fires(lit!)and the nosh was tres bon.Also happy to say that the white swan -unlike unfortunately man other country inns - had not been done up and turned into a contemporary 'floorboard and blackboard' joint -fine for the city but,please,not in the countryside!All in all i was very impressed and would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
cheshire uk
Reviewed October 26, 2009

the white swan inn is a lovely hotel we had the offer where you get your evening meals included! The rooms are very clean and trendy! and the staff where very friendly and helpful! The meals we had where five star lots of choice on the menu!! the area of pickering is a lovely little village. We went on the steam train which was a great day out!!

• Stayed October 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickering
Best Western Forest & Vale Hotel
Raithwaite Estate
Raithwaite Estate
#2 of 20 in Whitby
The Talbot Hotel Malton

Been to The White Swan Inn? Share your experiences!