“Really special hotel”
Review of The White Swan Inn

The White Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pickering
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We only had an overnight stay here, but from the moment of checking in we made to feel really special and very welcome. Our room was very comfortable,with quality bed linen and furnishings.We booked evening dinner in the restaurant,and the food was amazing,i had the belly pork delicous ,my husband had the rib-eye steak and he too was very happy .I have never in my life seen a wine list as extensive as the one here,We would not think twice about staying here again.And all the staff are lovely really friendly and cannot do enough for you.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Fab service from the moment we arrived. Our room was lovely outside in the courtyard. The room was nicely appointed with ensuite bathroom, flat screen TV, tea/coffee making facilities, honesty bar and very comfy bed with superb quality linen. We have a dirnk in the bar and then ate in the newly decorated dining room with friends. Steaks and bacon chops all round which were delicious. A good night's sleep followed by breakfast which was also delicious. We can't recommend this family run hotel enough - try it if you are in Pickering.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2014

After spending two nights here for my wife's birthday we decided to revisit late January for my own birthday. Previously our room was a hideaway retreat which was delightful, this time we chose the princess and the pea room! At 5' 3" it was very amusing to see my wife ascend the extremely high bed after a few drinks. (There are steps for those who look)
The room was good but a little noisy late on as other guests left the Bothy, but that was only a short period, next time we will crash the party rather than retiring early.
Our evening meal was taken in the restaurant and a little less satisfactory than our first visit. However when the issue was subsequently raised Catherine addressed it to our complete satisfaction. Thank you.
My wife left an item of clothing accidentally in the room and when she rang to enquire it was returned by post immediately to which we were very grateful.
It is evident the staff work hard to provide good customer service, errors in a busy establishment occur occasionally but I would be sure if raised at point all would be resolved very quickly.
We look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Excellent service from the reception when we arrived, to when we checked out. Room very comfortable, clean and very well decorated. Stayed for Friday and Saturday night, ate in bar on first night, then booked for restaurant on Saturday night. Very busy but staff were excellent. Food, especially the Belly Pork, was delicious. Great choice on menu. Overall, an excellent place to stay. The staff were so friendly and so efficient.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Thank you for your great first review. Welcome to TripAdvisor!

Victor Buchanan victorb@white-swan.co.uk

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Quality throughout here, in the rooms, restaurant, quaint bar area. Obviously an established haunt for people who want a high level of hotel with an olde worldy feel to it. The rooms were to a high spec with modern bathrooms, good beds and very clean. Plenty of parking at the back. A bit expensive for me.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Marcastle

Thank you for your review. Keep your eye on the web site as we frequently to special offers that can make a big difference to the price/value

Victor Buchanan victorb@white-swan.co.uk

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stayed here on March 14th & 15th in Room 15. We arrived early and was told the room was not ready (check in 3pm). We ordered a Ploughmans mix to share as we could see it was huge from another table. The platter was excellent but the bread roll cut in half was like a brick and could possibly have come out of the freezer. At 3pm the room was still not ready and my husband could see what was unfolding as someone came dashing back from across the road with a bouquet of flowers. It appears that my husband's extra's had been forgotten about! At 3.20pm we were given the room keys when my husband chased the reception up again. The room was very cozy, and the bathroom lovely and rustic so we soon forgot about the bad start. The evening meal was very good and the staff very attentive. Our only negative on the food was what is going on with the bread? It is homemade and awful. Heavy, sponge like and just not like bread. Our waitress even gave us another flavour to try which was still not good. We do a lot of travelling and eat at top restaurants with fantastic homemade bread it was a shame. Good bakeries along the high street so the chef should buy the bread from them instead! The second evening we chose to eat again in the restaurant. We walked into the restaurant and the "Harry Styles" wannabe asked us to wait whilst he checked on our booking. I asked to be seated to the right hand side to be told in a surly manner "we are fully booked tonight".I noted no reservation signs on any of the tables. We sat down at the appointed table and our drinks order was taken by the same lad. He came back after a while and apologised to my husband advising that they had no Jack Daniels. My husband asked for any bourbon which we was advised they only had scotch (he doesn't drink scotch whiskey) or southern comfort. He settled for the southern comfort. The drink was brought to the table and it was Bells whiskey. We called the lad over and he was most put out advising that he had brought an expensive scotch whiskey instead that he thought my husband would like! It was definately Bells and the lad had clearly made a mistake. My husband asked for the southern comfort to be brought and handed back the drink. The lad sulked off and apart from asking us at the end how our meal was he gave the table a wide berth. A lucky escape for us despite the long wait thereafter to order our food when my husband finally managed to hail a waitress.

To surmise: all in all, a nice place to stay, most of the staff are friendly, our Harry Styles wannabe however does need some customer service training, his manner is lacking as is his hearing. The room could do with a bit more lighting it was quite dark and you couldn't keep the curtains and blind open as people could look in. Would we go back, probably not but it was worth the experience and has got a good reputation. We booked here as many people from my husband's office stay over and they raved about the food. Great for dog owners there were lots of people with them and also central for places of interest.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 351sandraj

Thank you for your review and I'm sorry that your check-in was delayed, that you don't like our bread and that George needs to spend more time with a hair-brush. I suspect that in trying to please he has ended up doing the opposite and he will be gutted to read this here. It is someone else's responsibility to order the stock and we should and do normally have Jack Daniels.

We were two days into a new front of house computer system and possibly that is why your flowers were noticed at the last minute. Hope you enjoyed them though and at least we didn't forget.

If you decide to come back then I'll treat you to a large JD on me and I'll buy you some special bread from Thomas the Baker rather than make you eat our awful homemade stuff. (not a complaint I've had before but worth looking into)

Victor Buchanan victorb@white-swan.co,uk

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We chose this hotel from recommendation and were not disappointed. From the initial booking(Becky I think) to the service generally,nothing was too much trouble. If there was any complaint at times they maybe tried too hard!!
The whole atmosphere of the hotel was relaxed,just what is needed for a"wind down" weekend.
The food was wholesome without being fussy,excellent quality and served with a smile.
Drinks service was a bit hectic but the lady was very busy. Perhaps a bit of help in that area would be good?The room(Vantage room) whilst modest, was charming and large enough. The TV didn't work and couldnt be fixed although we were offered a change of room to overcome this(not necessary).Wifi hit and miss.Overall a big hit and we will be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickering
Best Western Forest & Vale Hotel
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
The Black Swan Hotel
The Black Swan Hotel
#2 of 4 in Helmsley

Been to The White Swan Inn? Share your experiences!