“Jewel in the North Yorkshire Moors”
Review of The White Swan Inn

The White Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pickering
Bicester
“Jewel in the North Yorkshire Moors”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

If you want a restful and indulgent stay in a very good Inn in one of the most attractive small towns in North Yorkshire, then look no further. The White Swan is a delight: tastefully and traditionally decorated with a contemporary edge. Roaring fires in all the public rooms where you can sit and read the papers and welcoming and well-trained friendly staff make this a truly special place with high standards. Exceptional food, beautifully presented, locally sourced. The famous Ginger Pig pork, sausages and bacon are on the menu.. (the only place outside London where you can enjoy it we are told). Rooms are a choice of contemporary/traditional and are extremely comfortable with White Company linen, although ours was quite snug. This was our second stay in 4 months and we enjoyed their winter special offer which was extremely good value. The North Yorkshire Moors Railway was sadly not running, but we drove to Whitby instead and came back over the moors via Rosedale. We did not find Dracula, but there is much to see and do in the area, even in January. We will be back again soon. Yorkshire is God's own Country and we love its 'real' people.

Room Tip: Might try room 2 with a bigger bed quietly overlooking the rear or room 11 with higher ceiling on th...
2 Thank Catherine M
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your enthusiastic review Catherine M from Bicester. The railway starts again in the spring so you have the perfect excuse to come back. I'm sorry that you didn't find Dracula but I could arrange for my mother to pop in next time which is the next best thing (We bought her an iPad for Xmas so Iknow she can now read these!) She also has a great Bicester based limerick about society wedding held there. Not funny if I say it but hilarious coming from someone approaching 80.

Room 2 is my favourite room because it has the biggest bed - but is in fact our second smallest room.

haste ye back.

Victor Buchanan victorb@white-swan.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Harrogate
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Right in the centre of Pickering with ample free parking.

Excellent staff, knowledgable, friendly & helpful.

Amazing breakfasts, i love kedgeree!

Our room was on the top floor of the main building overlooking the main street, lovely - if a little dated.

Very reasonably priced wine list - always a bonus!!

Wouldn't hesitate in recommending or staying again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Catikins
Thanks Catikens for your custom, your review and your recommendation. We also have much funkier rooms which we call Hideaways. If you can come again soon (before May) email me first and I will try and get you a free upgrade so long as it is available.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Checking through TripAdvisor looking for a late break we came across the White Swan at Pickering. The reviews looked good and they had a special Snow Break Offer on - so we deciided to go for it. What a find, we had a great stay and without a doubt will be back. The Hotel is bang in the middle of Pickering on the bustling Market Square. We had a hideaway room which is in what appeared to be a converted building at the rear of the Hotel. The room was cosy and comfortable with a big bath and great shower in the en suite.
We had dinner in the hotel dining room which is in the main building. The food was just wonderful. Beautifully cooked and nicely presented, the focus was on local produce. We had Goats Cheese and Tomato Tart and Home Oak Smoked Mackerel for starters followed by Ginger Pig Pork Belly and a Cod Steak for mains. I could not resist the pudding menu and was delighted by the moist and deeply flavoursome Sticky Toffee Pudding. We enjoyed a very nice bottle of wine with the meal.
We ate breakfast in the same dining room and were again delighted by the meal. From a big choice we opted for freshly prepared Eggs Benedict and a Yorkshire Breakfast fearturing Ginger Pig bacon, sausage and black pudding, both were fabulous.
I have not mentioned the staff at the White Swan because unusually they deserve a special mention of their own. They are all really attentive and helpful, even when called to our room twice to help us sort out the telly they were friendly an smiling. They seem really happy to be here and it shows in the service.
The quirky Hotel Guide in the bedroom which had me in hoots, is probably an indicator of where the happiness flows from - it was written by the owner who clearly has a good sense of fun. Of course they don't need a taxidermist any more, the chefs have mastered the art!
We will be back to this gem of a place.

1 Thank Walton2
replyman, Owner at The White Swan Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your great review which is fortunately at odds with the previous reviewer - despite you both staying at exactly the same time. I'm glad you found our staff friendly and attentive and we all really hope you come back to see us again soon. Glad you also liked the in-room blurb. Smiles and sense of humour restored then. Thanks again

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Where to start?! My wife and I take a weekend break in and around the North Yorkshire moors and frequently meet up with friends for lunches, to go for walks etc, this in mind we have have stayed in a lot of the establishments in the surrounding area. It's was by far one of the worst FOR THE MONEY. Now had I paid around £70 for the room I would have expected the treatment I received and the average state of the room, however I didn't I paid full whack at £119 for one of the inside rooms.

Initially we arrived and the receptionist was on the phone, perfectly normal. Rather than smiling and saying just one moment please or even just a smile and nod of acknowledgement, we were given a raised finger of 'wait' and she could not have looked more annoyed that we were there. This was not a great start, however the hotel looked lovely downstairs and was clean, with what looked like a lovely restaurant.

I notice this has been mentioned on another review, but we too were asked to take a look around town when we arrived at about 12:45. I realise this is much earlier than mentioned in the other review, but I would have expected to be offered drinks in the bar, or even (sales opportunity clearly missed!) lunch in the restaurant. We didn't even get a recommendation of where to go... Good job we had an idea of where we were!

When we arrived back the receptionists mood hadn't improved and we were not taken to our room, but given a description of where to go, not an issue but not what you expect for the money. Arrival at the room was probably the biggest disappointment, one of the light bulbs was out and the TV wasn't working. It took 45mins for this to be sorted once it was pointed out to the huffy receptionist, and then a young man came to sort the issue. He was very cheerful so no complaints there, although a complimentary bottle of wine for the poor start wouldn't have gone amiss and would be expected in a classy establishment. Once the lights were working the room wasn't the same as the picture online, these were clearly taken long before our stay and the room needed a touch of love... Or a barrel full.

We decided to dine in the restaurant as it genuinely does look lovely, very well seated, not too close but not too spaced out. I have absolutely no complaints about the food, that is really a credit to the hotel. The staff were a mixture of sullen to friendly, and there didn't seem to be a clear definition of who was running things. We did have a lovely waitress who was very polite, and who served us the whole time which I like as you often find you have 3-4 people serving your table and you repetitions of the same questions etc. so a plus there.

After dinner we retired to the bar and eventually left because no one came to serve us, I am still confused as to whether or not it was merely there for decoration as the following day there was no staff in there. Good array of wines and spirits, you just won't be able to get to them unless you are eating.

Finally on check out the following morning, I different much friendlier lady greeted us. I was asked 'Have you enjoyed your stay?' To which I replied 'not for the money thank you very much' I was not offered this so called no-quibble money back guarantee or even asked why, but was actually smiled at and told 'oh dear, I know we seem pricey but you know what they say, you pay for what you get!' Well not in this case.

So to sum up, some of the best food in the area, but as a hotel seriously lacking especially for these prices.

Room Tip: Just don't. Eat one evening and retire to a friendlier hotel with better rooms.
10 Thank Geoffpanhurst
Thank you for your review. It just goes to show that if we don't get the welcome right then the rest of the stay doesn't matter - and you rate us as terrible even though you thought the food was some of the best in the area.

The White Swan has legions of reviews about how friendly and accommodating our staff are. I will look into who was on reception that day and really deal with the issue. I apologise profusely

You are welcome to have your money back by the way but you'll need to get in touch. I would just like to know when you stayed please?

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

what a fantastic place, staff so friendly place very beautiful, a pleasure to stay will go again, bar warm and welcoming, lots of fine beer, tried most, room massive for a single bathroom nicer than mine at home

Room Tip: all amazing
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank james s
Thank you for your kind review. We are really pleased that you all enjoyed The White Swan for your family reunion. It was our pleasure to look after you.

doncaster
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed overnight with a party of 15. Superb service, accommodation and food. Staff went out of their way to help out and provide extras. One of the party had a sore throat and throat sweets were brought in from the shops for her...! Couldn't fault anything. Great breakfast menu. Loved the Bothy. Felt totally comfortable and very welcome. Will return and recommend :-)

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank MalcolmDoncaster
Thank you for your great review. Your party was a great success from our point of view too. I hope you ALL come back again soon.

Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Spent a couple of very nice days between Christmas and New Year. Lovely place but very overpriced which kind of took the edge off it for me. The food however was amazing and did make up for it. They seemed rather short staffed too. I felt sorry for the ones that were working so hard and on split shifts as well. Overall lovely place to stay but they should revisit their tariff it was more country house mansion price! My compliments to the chef though - faultless food!

Room Tip: Stay in the main house, cosier and cheaper
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lesley186313
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you liked the food and the place in general. Rather than dismiss your comments about price, I am genuinely interested to know what you thought you should have paid - perhaps you might get in touch through this site or privately?

Thanks anyway.

Victor victorb@white-swan.co.uk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickering
Best Western Forest & Vale Hotel
#3 of 4 in Malton
Raithwaite Estate
Raithwaite Estate
#2 of 20 in Whitby

Been to The White Swan Inn? Share your experiences!