“A great little find!”

Ranked #41 of 67 Restaurants in Pickering
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Opposite To Famous North Yorkshire Steam Railway Station
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I was looking for a place to take a few clients for dinner and wanted to avoid the usual 'curry and beers' scenario. The Fortune Inn has a nice airy atmosphere and big round tables (with lazy susans to play with) that was ideal.
Very attentive service from Jenny and her staff and the quality of food is excellent. Nice to get a decent Chinese beer too!

2  Thank Hgate79
Jennifer M, Owner at Fortune Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Dear Hgate79,
Thank you for taking your time to share your recent experience with us. We are delighted to hear that you and your clients enjoyed our food and service.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again. Thank you very much.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

As always, I've been a regular visitor to The Fortune Inn for many years and I always enjoy the excellent and friendly service the members of staff provides. The meal dishes are excellent too. Even my family members and my girlfriend enjoy the dishes especially the Dim Sum Combination, Egg Fried Rice is also one of the best. I also enjoy the sizzling hot place dishes like Beef with Ginger and Spring Onions and also Beef with Green Pepper and Black Bean Sauce.

1  Thank Julian T

Dear Julian T,
Thank you for taking your time to share your positive dinning experience with us. It means a lot to our entire team because we are a family run business. They were all delighted, thank you very much. We are looking forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Delicious main courses with fresh and perfectly cooked mixed vegetables.
The restaurant was very quiet but according to our host so is Pickering in general.
Staff are friendly and obliging.
We had a lovely dinner.

Dear Ethene,
Thank you very much for taking your time to review our restaurant with your positive experience. Yes, in general, Pickering is a little bit quiet this time of the year. We are delighted that you enjoyed your meal on the night. All our dishes are freshly prepared and cooked.
We are looking forward to welcoming soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

With a combination of great service and food this is a restaurant not to be missed. I must admit to being a huge fan of chinese / cantonese food so it is always a pleasure to go to somewhere like this.

I took my girlfriend here recently and we both enjoyed it very much. We had a mixed dimsum starter for two which gave us a bit of everything, prawn toast, ribs, wontons etc. The ribs especially were great. For main we had a chowmein, crispy shredded beef and special fried rice, all were superb.

I really liked the fact the staff, even the junior staff were all very polite and dressed consistently, black trousers, white shirt, black bow-tie. I remember this because I used to work in a restaurant as a teenager where that was the required uniform as well... It took me back

The hostess was warm, friendly and welcoming to all. It appeared as though many of the customers were regulars as it was uncanny how many of them she knew by name.

I highly recommend this restaurant for people not looking for cheap and cheerful but rather appreciate quality food and are prepared to pay a reasonable price for it.

1  Thank rjb2k

Dear Robin,
Thank you for taking your time to share your positive dinning experience when you dined in with your girlfriend. It means a great deal to us. It is true that we use the freshest ingredients and quality meats. It is very nice to learn your own experience when you were a teenager working in a restaurant; brought back some memories and hard work.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We really looked forward to our meal here on Valentine's Day, having read the great many positive reviews - reflected by how busy this restaurant was compared to other establishments in town. Very friendly on arrival, the soups were excellent (I particularly liked the tip to try the hot and sour soup before adding any soy sauce - a top tip as it really didn't need any extra soy). However...... at least 40 minutes after the hotplates were put out (the candles looked like they were about to go out!) (and over 2 hours since our arrival at the restaurant), our drinks had run out (both wine and water) and whenever attempting to get some attention or eyecontact we appeared to be blanked, and, even more disappointingly, no sign of the main courses - despite adjoining tables who had arrived after us had had their starter/ mains/ desert - and the takeaways were literally flying out the door. I feel that in a restaurant the diners who have committed to a sit-down meal at a premium cost should have priority over takeaways. We had enough - indeed had lost our appetites (so it didn't really matter if the mains were about to be served or not) - and offered to pay for what we had. Whilst accepting the explanation that they were very busy and some of the takeaway customers had waited for an hour, I made the point that we had now waited for two! To the credit of the restaurant, they only charged us for the drinks, and on the basis of the quality of the soup we would like to try there again, maybe when it is a little less busy, so we can perhaps review our rating to something more appropriate.

3  Thank DevonHare
Jennifer M, Owner at Fortune Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Devonhare,
We know who you are. First of all, thank you for your review. However, not everything you mentioned there are true!
1- We were very busy on the Valentine's night including take-away service. Full house with diners on the particular time 7:00pm. You were the fourth table came in later than 7:00pm. I personally looked after you for the wine and sparkling water, than took your food order. That was about 7:20pm. Your order was a set menu, therefore should have four courses. HOWEVER, your neighbouring table only ordered main course and desert . Please do not exaggerate.
2- Your main course had been served while you were talking to my staff, however, you insisted not to have them. I felt that there were no point to upset you and our diners. Therefore, you were only charged the drinks with our goodwill of gesture. When I gave you the bill, it was before 8:45pm, therefore you were not here with us more than two hours.
3- After you left, people said to me how sorry they felt for me about the way you acted! Even said if people want fast food, why come to a restaurant ?
I do hope that people will realise there is only one Valentine's night in a year and everywhere is busy.
Our team have tried very hard on that night and I thank them.
I personally and sincerely apology for what you have not satisfied.
Our entire team is looking forward to welcoming you again if you will return.